GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got any ideas on why air gets in the pedal brake system only, and with no fluid loss?

If the system is bled perfectly, one can ride for approx 2 weeks before the pedal starts having extended travel along with a "spongy feeling", and of course, the brakes go away after that. This has been going on for about 9 months now. I keep bleeding the system & it's ok for a couple of weeks, then the the problem returns.

Ideas will be very welcome, as no one around Dallas seems to have ever had this problem, or has an answer.

Thanks,

Perry
IR02
(Illusion Red '02 GL1800)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I suppose the first thing is to rebuild/replace seals in the master.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800
765 Posts
What do you use to bleed the system.
I was having this problem when i used the mity-vac.
Now, on each bleeder, I use the mity-vac to get the old fluid out and I finish off using the "apply the brake" method and I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Per the manual, the pedal brake can be bled using a vacuum brake bleeder to get the fluid in. But the manual also requires that the system be "squeeze bled" using the pedal to give the fluid a final push through the system.

The front brake system is real easy to bleed. Practically gravity bleeds itself.

But the rear pedal brake system is more complex and needs pressure bleeding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys.

As far as the year of the bike, it's an '02. Had it since new & now has 115,000 miles on it.

The bleeding procedures used... pressure always! This has been an on-going problem for the past 10 months.
Again, as stated in my thread, Does good for approx 2-weeks after bleeding, then starts getting a "spongy" pedal, and finally no brake at all.
No evidence of a leak, and no fluid loss. Of course the front system is perfect, which is why I can ride it until I can bleed the brakes again.
Most air seems to come out of, in this order:
(1) Upper rear caliper
(2) Anti-dive plunger
(3) Lower rear caliper.

Have ordered new pistons and seals for both the rear pedal master cylinder, as well as the secondary master cylinder.
Just wanted to see if anyone else has/had experienced this problem, because, as stated, no one around Dallas seems to have ever heard of this of problem.

·
Registered
440 Posts
PM me your email address and I'll send your as service bullient from Honda with that problem. It seems me and you have the same problem. The reason I asked the year is because it happening to 02 and 03's.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I emailed you that recall last week but I will do it again when I get home. Check your mail and your junk mail box.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I sent it the third time to your home address and I sent it to my self and that works and I sent one to your work address.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK Guys,

Thanks for the help. Finally got the SB from my work email.

I'm not sure this is the problem, as I never experience fluid loss...only air builds in system. Will check it out further and report.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Was there a brake pad replacement done just prior to this issue starting ??? I have seen this happen when the caliper pistons were just pushed back into a caliper without first cleaning em... Crud gets between the seal and the piston... It seems to seal OK under pressure, but when the brakes cool down over night it sucks a little air in each time (kinda like how a radiator cap works)... You should be able to identify the problem caliper by bleeding the brakes (it's the one with the air in it)...
This can also happen with the master cylinder too (where the paddle rod goes into it)... Rebuild kits are not to awful expensive and your bike is 10 years old, might be worth doing just for GP...

·
Registered
664 Posts
PM me your email address and I'll send your as service bullient from Honda with that problem. It seems me and you have the same problem. The reason I asked the year is because it happening to 02 and 03's.
Anyway you can post the service bulliten so we call see it????????
If not............I'm sending you my email via a PM.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I have an 02 and my wife has an 03. What is it that I need to know?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sent you a copy

Thanks for sending it to me.
FYI..........This is a "Safety Recall" notice, not just a "Service Bulletin". Owners of affected bikes should have this "Recall" done because Honda mandates the repair. While this Recall is important, I don't see how it pertains to the original posters question about air entering the system. This Recall deals with fluid loss due to a defective PCV. He stated he has no fluid loss.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts