GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the word for word documentation taken from the work order on the last visit to the Honda dealership.

Job: ANTI DIVE ON FRONT END FEELS STIFF

Description: Customer says it does not ride like it used to. Suspension feels real stiff.

Resolution: Hydraulic system had air in it, bled system during brake repair.
(I had a bad rear master cylinder, which was introducing air into the brake lines.)

OK. What effect would AIR in the system have on the anti-dive valve? (Wouldn't a pocket of air disable it?)

I was complaining about the quality of the ride... and they state (after two guys test rode it for a grand total of three miles) that it rides just fine... and blamed the harsh ride on the air in the system. No other diagnosis or repair was performed.

Comments, please.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
This is the word for word documentation taken from the work order on the last visit to the Honda dealership.

(I had a bad rear master cylinder, which was introducing air into the brake lines.)

OK. What effect would AIR in the system have on the anti-dive valve? (Wouldn't a pocket of air disable it?)

I was complaining about the quality of the ride... and they state (after two guys test rode it for a grand total of three miles) that it rides just fine... and blamed the harsh ride on the air in the system.

Comments, please.
Air would have almost no effect on the anti dive, it's a little actuator valve and any real pressure will activate it, airbound or not.. Try disabling it for a short time to see if it improves the ride..

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then why would a dealer tell me this?

It didn't seem quite right to me.

(*sigh*)

·
Registered
855 Posts
since you can compress air but not hydraulic fluid, air would make it softer.

i think they were blowin' a little air up your ***

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Find a dealer or private shop that has qualified mechanic's...

These guys have not got a clue... :confused:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
The service industry calls that "baffling the customer with bullsh_t." They really didn't want to mess with your bike so they made up a condition that sounded technical enough that you would believe it. :22yikes: Your AD valve is probably stuck in the down position.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
To see if your anti-dive is sticking.....while on the bike and sitting still, hold the front brake and pump the forks up and down. The forks should pump up and down smoothly as many times as you want without the forks locking up.....if the forks lock up after 3 or 4 pumps then the anti-dive is sticking.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To see if your anti-dive is sticking.....while on the bike and sitting still, hold the front brake and pump the forks up and down. The forks should pump up and down smoothly as many times as you want without the forks locking up.....if the forks lock up after 3 or 4 pumps then the anti-dive is sticking.
Three or four pumps? I'm lucky to to get to two.

The forks on mine will even lock up coming off of the center stand....

But the mechanic and service writer both told me that everything was just fine, and the trapped air was the problem.

What is it with these dealers? Honest to God. What gives?

Now, it will be two more 90 mile round trips (along with the time and effort as well) to get this fixed....when it should have been fixed when they had it for 2 1/2 weeks.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Three or four pumps? I'm lucky to to get to two.

The forks on mine will even lock up coming off of the center stand....

But the mechanic and service writer both told me that everything was just fine, and the trapped air was the problem.
There was someone on this forum that was selling replacement O rings for the anti-dive a while back that are made from a different material that won't swell from the brake fluild.....do a search and you might find that. Replacing the O rings in the anti-dive is very easy and that would most likely fix your problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts