GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got the 2004 GW 1800 out today, (I know it's late) but I did get it out. Change the oil and filter. Checked the tires and off I went.

Ran great, BUT, The clutch lever does not completely activate the clutch. The fluid reservoir is full (to the very top) When I pull the lever there is no movement in the cable until half way through the pull to the handle bar.

The bike was creeping (with the clutch in) as soon as I started the motor.

The bike went forward the second the clutch lever was beginning to come out.

On the road it was tough to shift. You could tell it was shifting sometimes with little or no clutch.

This bike as 110K on it. Could it be that the clutch is going or gone or is it (I hope) the system needs to be bled?

When I put the bike away last Nov. The clutch was fine, yet the first time I used it today it was only half there.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. CK

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,371 Posts
Hi, I got the 2004 GW 1800 out today, (I know it's late) but I did get it out. Change the oil and filter. Checked the tires and off I went.

Ran great, BUT, The clutch lever does not completely activate the clutch. The fluid reservoir is full (to the very top) When I pull the lever there is no movement in the cable until half way through the pull to the handle bar.

The bike was creeping (with the clutch in) as soon as I started the motor.

The bike went forward the second the clutch lever was beginning to come out.

On the road it was tough to shift. You could tell it was shifting sometimes with little or no clutch.

This bike as 110K on it. Could it be that the clutch is going or gone or is it (I hope) the system needs to be bled?

When I put the bike away last Nov. The clutch was fine, yet the first time I used it today it was only half there.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. CK
Has anyone turned the lever adjustment wheel?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The wheel is on 1.

I changed it to all the numbers and it seemed to get lighter with each increasing number. I went back to 1 and seemed to get a better response from the lever.

Does the lever pull get lighter the higher the number is? Feels like that to me.

Second question: The fluid has not been changed for at least 5 years.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,371 Posts
No the wheel is on 1. I changed it to all the numbers and it seemed to get lighter with each increasing number. I went back to 1 and seemed to get a better response from the lever.

Does the lever get lighter with higher numbers?
The wheel changes the point that you feel the clutch engage/disengage. If it’s no better with the wheel on 5, then you need to try bleeding it and change the fluid since it’s past due.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The clutch reservoir should not be full to the top. There is a line inside the reservoir to mark full. Agree with everyone else, that first thing to do is flush the clutch system. Best of luck. Ride safe and enjoy the ride.

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
For a stopgap measure, tie the lever to the handlebar with a bungee strap overnight. If there is air in the system, this will allow it to self-bleed. Then get the fluid changed...

And ride more. Much more!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are right. Ride much more.

I have 5 bikes and the 1800 was the last to come out this summer.

Thanks for all the tips.

Now up to Cook City from Cody, Wy. via the Chief Joseph Highway.

Someone has to ride it! So I'll do it for all you guys and gals that can't. I mean, it's the least I can do.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Administrator
4,580 Posts
You are right. Ride much more.

Thanks for all the tips.

Someone has to ride it! So I'll do it for all you guys and gals that can't. I mean, it's the least I can do.
I'm startin' to not like this guy >:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what's not to like?

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts

I don't like him either !!!

Hopefully someone with 6 bikes, and who lives in a better riding area can help him out ... just say'n.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
For a stopgap measure, tie the lever to the handlebar with a bungee strap overnight. If there is air in the system, this will allow it to self-bleed. Then get the fluid changed...

And ride more. Much more!

:thumbup:
DITTO.
I don't know why it works but it does.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If you count my son's Honda Rebel 250 (the title is in my name) I do have 6 bikes.

I also have a Ice Palace when it gets too hot here. So there!

That being said: How do I get smilies on this to make it even better?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts