GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper air pressure on the rear of a 1800 i will be pulling a trailer also the driver and passenger is a little heavy about 400 lbs. App. The trailer is a aluma it is the small one. These are new tires on the bike.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
No idea what your tire is. I run 41psi on a metzler and it work for me...

·
Registered
512 Posts
ziggy,

very easy to remember. doesn't matter what tire brand/model you are running.

1) look at the sidewall of the tire, and see what the maximum tire pressure listing is.
2) With a digital tire gauge pump up the tire to 3 lbs LESS that what the maximum listed rating is with the tire COLD.
3) Ride to your hearts content.

this is the formula any tire engineer will tell you,

take care,
bc

·
Registered
396 Posts
ziggy,

very easy to remember. doesn't matter what tire brand/model you are running.

1) look at the sidewall of the tire, and see what the maximum tire pressure listing is.
2) With a digital tire gauge pump up the tire to 3 lbs LESS that what the maximum listed rating is with the tire COLD.
3) Ride to your hearts content.

this is the formula any tire engineer will tell you,

take care,
bc
I ask 3 of the local tire engineers, and that is not what they say. Maybe a geographical thing.

..louie

·
Registered
543 Posts
With car tires on the rear of a trike the extra weight does not require any
added pressure

Remember what kind of weight those tires carry when not on a trike.

You aren't even close

·
Registered
512 Posts
louie,

what are,,,,your people,,,, telling you for tire pressure settings,,in your neck of the woods...?
us hillbillies here in bridgestone land,,and at WD32,, that's what i was told by BS reps as well? ,,my people,,, good enough for me,,,;)
hoosier reps,,,mccreary/american tire reps,,, as well....
ride safe.

take care,
bc

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Follow the tire manufacturer's recommendation. It is on the tire. They know more about it than any of the pseudo-experts.

·
Registered
396 Posts
louie,

what are,,,,your people,,,, telling you for tire pressure settings,,in your neck of the woods...?
us hillbillies here in bridgestone land,,and at WD32,, that's what i was told by BS reps as well? ,,my people,,, good enough for me,,,;)
hoosier reps,,,mccreary/american tire reps,,, as well....
ride safe.

take care,
bc
They say it "depends" on the application.

My babysitter sez that using an inaccurate digital gauge could cause problems as you never really know what air pressure you have. Using an accurate gauge is more important than conventional or digital. Makes sense, and she knows her babysitting, so I'm believing her.

...louie

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Follow the tire manufacturer's recommendation. It is on the tire. They know more about it than any of the pseudo-experts.
The only thing posted on the tire is the Maximum Cold PSI.

You will have better luck looking it up on the Tire manufacturer's website (or the Honda Owner's Manual), find your bike and the tire they recommend. The Tire manufacturer will often post a recommended loaded riding pressure, which is usually different than the maximum PSI the tire can safely handle.

For instance Dunlop recommends the following for the E3:

Tire : Elite 3 Radial | Size : 180/60R16 | PSI Rear/Loaded : 41

This is still only a recommended starting point, you may need to adjust the PSI to your only personal taste and requirements.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I think those using the Max pressure on the side of the tire are making a big mistake.

This from Dunlop:
How much air should I put in my tires? Proper inflation is the single most important part of tire care. The inflation pressure on the side of the tire is the MAXIMUM operating pressure. It is not necessarily the right inflation for your vehicle. Always use the inflation recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. You can find it in your owner's manual, posted on the edge of the driver's door, on a door post or on the inside of the glovebox door. Always check inflation when tires are COLD: when the vehicle has been driven less than a mile or one hour or more after driving. Use a good quality tire gauge.
http://www.dunloptires.com/care/faqs.html#air

For the gl1800 motorcycle that sticker is inside the trunk lid.

If you are running a tire requiring a different pressure than what the sticker says, then you obviously are running tires not recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, honda.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The only thing posted on the tire is the Maximum Cold PSI.

You will have better luck looking it up on the Tire manufacturer's website (or the Honda Owner's Manual), find your bike and the tire they recommend. The Tire manufacturer will often post a recommended loaded riding pressure, which is usually different than the maximum PSI the tire can safely handle.

For instance Dunlop recommends the following for the E3:

Tire : Elite 3 Radial | Size : 180/60R16 | PSI Rear/Loaded : 41

This is still only a recommended starting point, you may need to adjust the PSI to your only personal taste and requirements.
If you follow the maximum cold PSI, as printed on the tire, you will be within any margin of error, provided the bikes max load weight isn't greatly exceeded.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts