GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my bike was in the shop, they added some air to my rear tire thinking it was low. When I rode it, the response to steering was not as quick. After reading Max's report, I felt some of the same resistance. I lowered the pressure down to 23 and the snappiness came back.

What are some of your experiences with different air pressure in your tires? Basically, in the low 20's, mine is quicker to turn but moves around more in corners.

·
Registered
939 Posts
If you are only running 23 pounds of air in your rear tire I believe you are going to experience premature cupping and tire wear and your tire is going to get hotter at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ironbutt Ken said:
If you are only running 23 pounds of air in your rear tire I believe you are going to experience premature cupping and tire wear and your tire is going to get hotter at highway speeds.
I normally keep them around 28 with no ill effects on wear or heat. I ran the Dragon at 15 three times. The bike was real quick then! As soon as I relaxed coming out of one corner, the sidewalls rebounded snapping the bike back up. All I had to do was apply a little effort to go into the next corner.

Even when I ran it flat at 65mph, it stayed cool enough to touch. It's rated for 1,200 pounds; I'm giving it about 600 to work with.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Tom.I run 35 Psi in my Pirelli... I haven't tried it any lower,as it feels very comfortable to me running this pressure.

But you raise a good point.

I need experiment with trying lower pressure just for the heck of it...I need to know what this R/F feels like with lower pressure in case it ever does receive a puncture..Knowldge is best ahead of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts