GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have experience with the AirRider gel pads for the 1800? Good or bad experiences would be helpful.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I borrowed one from a guy that said that it didn't do him any good,and he wanted to sell it. It was in brand new condition.
I used it for about a hundred miles,and couldn't see any benefit to it.
The weight on the pad tends to push the gel away from the areas you need it the most.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have a pro pad, which is pretty much the same thing. i got it to use on my st1100, which has a knack of leeping the riders crotch and butt very warm.

this pad helped in the butt area and gave a little lift for some air flow.

i also use it on my pacific coast to add some butt comfort, i say it works pretty well.

loren

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I bought the AirRider gel pad last bike week with a money back gaurantee. I rode with it for the next 4 or 5 days and couldn't tell any improvement so I asked for and got the full refund. I then saw the Air Hawk with the air bladder and tried that. The Air Hawk was an improvement over the gel pad but still didn't provide the comfort for longer distances I was looking for. I still have the Air Hawk but don't use it.

I finally realized what I really needed was an aftermarket seat so I went to Hartco in Crescent City and got a seat that has allowed me to do as much as 589 miles in a single day. The stock seat wouldn't let me finish 150 miles without being in torture.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. Not real crazy about the stock seat, but not sure I am ready to give up on it for a custom seat yet. I will probably end up getting a custom seat this summer. Planning a 12 day trip out west and not sure I could handle that stock seat the whole time!

Thanks again,

Michael

·
Registered
47 Posts
We bought a pair at Biloxi last October and rode home on them. I felt like they made the seat more comfortable. When I first bought the bike the stock seat didn't seem uncomfortable but I'm afraid this 270# body has collapsed it a little over the last 3 years. I would like to get another seat but the last time I did that mine felt great and hers gave her burning sensation in the glutes. That gave me a burning sensation in the ears. I won't make that mistake again, she likes the stock seat and I'm not about to change it. Therefor the gel pad was a happy compromise. There are other similar devices like air pads, foam pads, etc. but I haven't tried them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seat-Gel Pad

My wife bought one at Honda-Homecoming and we really like it. I dont remember the brand, it seems to be gel with a rubberized outer flexible coating,cost $100.00.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gel ad not good in extreme temps

I borrowed a gel pad for a trip one time. During the trip the temperatures got cold. The gel pad got hard as a rock. Another member of our chapter had one on his seat in the summer. While he was inside a restaurant eating, the pad got super hot. He burned his tush when he went out and started riding.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I bought the Air Rider Lg Touring gel pad and rain cover for my Wing last September at WOS. Rode home to FL on it and decided that, although it was very comfortable, I really wanted a Diamond seat like I had on my other two Wings. Can't teach an old dog new tricks :lol: The gel pad has never been used since then and I'll sell the gel pad plus the rain cover that has never been used for $100. I paid $135 for both. Interested - email me: [email protected].

.. Sue

·
Registered
34 Posts
I tried one, didn't like it. So I bought a large bicycle gel pad for 20 bucks at Sport Chalet...worked perfectly, and was cheap!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts