GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations about setting the air shocks on an 02 Goldwing? I weigh 180 and my daughter weighs 150. I don't have a clue about what the bike should be set at, riding single or double. :yw1:

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
It's not air shocks, but most of the time is personal taste. I keep mine at 20, with or without a pass. It goes to the max 25 when I know I'm going to be playing hard. The higher the number, the taller the seat height and a stiffer ride.

Just experiment with it and you will figure out what works for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
shock adjustment

I've got an 03 and my dealer preset them for me at 7 for me and 14 with my wife on. It seemed to work ok but I like it a little firmer for handling so I upped my settings to 9 and 16 but I'm still experimenting. I was disappointed at the lack of information in my book about recommended settings. Perhaps it's best to experiment. I will be interested to see what others do.

·
Registered
55 Posts
on lower setting riding 2up you will feel it bottom out. I
ride 1up around 9. 2up around 16 -18 but it is all personal preferance
I set it for 2up with and usually forget to forget to lower it when i get on
motor and ride 1up. John
PS I ride a 02 IB with(60004miles)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought I was the only one who forgot to reset it when I went back out on my own. It does seem to handle tighter on the higher setting when I have forgotten to lower it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I said this in another area on this board ... I weigh 275 and have used "9" when one up ... and when I'm two up, I set it to "15". I don't see a whole lot of difference. It is not as pronounced as my 1500 was.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Same conclusion as Wing Nutt

Hard to tell the difference in ride from High to low.I did experience a Hi way pegs scrape at a setting of 4 when truning sharp. So don't forget like me at what you got them set at then start ridding agressive.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The Hydraulic Pre-Load Adjustor only adjusts Pre-Load much like the simple mechanical twist cam on the older shocks you may have had in your pre Wings days.

The only thing you should notice is a change in available travel before hitting bottom or topping out. The Hydraulic Pre-Load Adjustor does not change dampening in any way.

The best setting on you rear shock is when you have 3" of compression with 1" of rebound. To find out where yours is set will take a little effort to measure between a frame point and the rear axle in the fully extended position vs the loaded position. I am able to measure from the bottom of one saddlebag to the ground at the position of the rear axle using a M/C jack to find the fully extended distance then lower the bike and get the loaded measurement but is is easy for me with a Hack to keep it stable. You may be able to get some help from a friend to do the same thing.

Or you can simply run it up to 25 and back off if you ever feel it top out after hitting a big bump.

Many like to keep theirs at 25 just to get the maximum ground clearance for the twisties.

Something that I and others have found out is that Honda down sized the rear spring 10% below the minimum needed for normal operation so it is on the weak side and rides lower than it should.

For a big improvement changing out the 900 lb OEM spring with a 1,000/1,200 lb Progressive spring will be a good move for even "Normal" riders either Solo or 2-Up.

Jerry

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pre-Load

well i finally got to playing around with mine, had been running it at 5 solo and 15 2up. so i reset it to 15 solo, and 25 2 up. i liked it so much, i think i will run 25 all the time.... i took the wife home and rode solo at 25 and it felt like a very firm sport bike.... i hope it won't hurt anything to leave it that way.... i like the firm feel it gives.....

Mike

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Re: Pre-Load

BlackHawk said:
well i finally got to playing around with mine, had been running it at 5 solo and 15 2up. so i reset it to 15 solo, and 25 2 up. i liked it so much, i think i will run 25 all the time.... i took the wife home and rode solo at 25 and it felt like a very firm sport bike.... i hope it won't hurt anything to leave it that way.... i like the firm feel it gives.....

Mike
With my wife on the pillion SHE insists on 25. She claims the bumps are easier to take and she gets to pick the setting. I'm 280 and when I'm 1-up I use 15. So, those settings work for us, too! :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Settings

I'm 175 and my wife is 140. I use 8 when riding solo (up to 20 in the twisties) and 18 riding two up. These provide the smooth ride we are looking for but I always roll it to 20 or above in the mountains.

·
Registered
231 Posts
7 solo and 15 with the boss on board. She does not like hard twisties so I don't set it higher unless I am solo.
I always forget to reset too! :banghead:

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's deffinitely personal taste and riding style.

I leave it up at 20 solo and 25 2 up or towing the trailer. Either way I can still drag the pegs on the turns (what a bike) :) .

Steve

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've posted this before but since you asked. This is Stu Oltman's take on the suspension setting...

The proper way to find the correct suspension settings for various loads is to place the bike on the center-stand and measure the distance from the center of the rear wheel to a point directly above it on the frame. Then take the bike off of the stand, sit on it, and have someone measure the distance between those same two points. Increase or decrease the suspension setting until the distance is 1" to 1.25" less than it was on the stand. Record the number shown on the display - this is for one-up riding. Do the same measurement with 2 people on the bike and adjust the setting again until the distance is the same as one person on the bike. Record this number for 2-up riding. Now load the bike to maximum capacity with luggage, 2-up, trailer attached etc. and do the same procedure.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Owner's Manual says that the lower settings provide a "softer ride," but on a bumpy road surface we should adjust it to a higher setting, which provides a firmer ride. So on a bumpy road you get a firmer (even harsher) ride. What am I missing here? I'd like to get a "softer" ride on bumpy roads.

The other confusing statement is that the "Standard position is 0." Why would such an extremely soft setting be "standard"? What does Honda mean by "standard" in this context? Is it like the default setting?

G

·
D Williams said:
Does anyone have any recommendations about setting the air shocks on an 02 Goldwing? I weigh 180 and my daughter weighs 150. I don't have a clue about what the bike should be set at, riding single or double. :yw1:
Hello DW:

FYI. There are no air shocks on the Wing. The ride control is using an electric motor screw drive to preload the main rear suspension spring.

The ride settings are something you will want to experiment with until you and your passenger are happy with them and they suit your riding conditions and style. Forget what the manual says.

Have fun. Ride with care. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Unlike everyone else here I use 2 for solo and 8 for 2 up. I weigh 245 passenger 155. I am not an agressive rider at all, kinda your old lady type driver. It takes me too long to heal these days. Maybe I should re-think the settings.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Mine are at 5 solo and 15 two up. When I'm loaded for a trip I will take it up to twenty. When your loaded heavy those twisty's are a whole new ball game also.................. :yes2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts