GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told not to put Baker Air Wings on my 2012 because they will cause damage to the fairing. Has anyone had such a problem?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I've have them on my 2006 for 130,000 miles with no damage. I had them on my 2001 for 90,000 miles with no damage. Loved them!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If you are concerned that they will mar your paint when in a fully closed position, what I did was stick little rubber cabinet door bumpers on the fairing at the point of contact. They're only about 1/2 " in diameter and hardly noticeable if your bike is a dark color.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My baker wings came with rubber stick-on bumpers to keep them from maring the paint. Not sure if the bumpers will mar if you take them off.

Reactions: 98valk and CAWing

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I've had them on my 2012 since new. If installed properly, there is no damage to the fairing. just don't over tighten the bolts, hand tight is good enough.
As far as rubbing, I put some strips of self stick velcro on the edges of the wings, where they may contact the paint. I'm careful not to adjust them that far, but if it does hit, the velcro protects the paint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've have them on my 2006 for 130,000 miles with no damage. I had them on my 2001 for 90,000 miles with no damage. Loved them!
I too had them on my 2001 and my 2010 with no problems. But apparently when the fairing changed in 2012, something ended up weaker where the air Wings bolt on. I really don't want to ride in hot weather without them, but don't want costly repairs. So I thought I should ask around to see if it's a common problem with newer models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are concerned that they will mar your paint when in a fully closed position, what I did was stick little rubber cabinet door bumpers on the fairing at the point of contact. They're only about 1/2 " in diameter and hardly noticeable if your bike is a dark color.
Thanks, but that's not the problem. Apparently some tabs break or something.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Told by whom? I saw it on the internet so it must be true. 😀

Seriously, look at how they mount. They use strong bolts into solid mounts. You do need to drill holes in the fairing trim pieces. Those pieces will be weaker and obviously could break if you pull too hard when removing them in the future. If these holes are not located correctly, the trim piece could become very weak in this area. But the fairing itself is unaffected.

Follow the included directions and you'll be fine.

BTW. I see you joined in 2014 but this is your first post so welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Andy. I was told by the guy I bought the 2012 from, and by my "backalley mechanic" who services lots of bikes. He told me he has seen 3 goldwings with damage (broken tabs?).

Are you familiar with the difference between the pre-2012 and the newer models that might affect this?

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
I had them on my 2002 wing (not my 2010) They were installed by a vendor at the Americade, and I love'd them... NO Damage! In the hot summer warm days, I adjusted them so the wind blew in my body and face, (keeping me cool'rrr) BUT when cold . I adjust them so less cold wind, hit me (keeping me warm'rr)

Ronnie

·
Registered
258 Posts
I installed the uppers on my 2018 and if they're installed correctly, I don't see how they would mar paint. Loving mine in the cooler riding weather. I might uninstall during summer months but not sure thats necessary

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Have them on my 03, used little felt pads where they could touch, no problems ever.
Would not ride without them, they work great.

·
Vendor
19,615 Posts
I've posted many pictures of broken cowls caused from various brands of air-wings. The farther out they are, gives them more leverage to do more damage. I bought a set years ago and have never installed them. If they ever get kicked, or accidentally tapped by a foot while the bike is being mounting, or bumped while parked, the cowl quickly gives way, and although I've seen many ways people try and fix the broken plastic, I've never seen a successful repair. Keep in mind that painted plastic is expensive to replace, and in many situations no longer available. So that means that when you might want to order plastic it might be no longer available.

Damage almost always happens on the right side.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
One thing I did change on the installation. I did not drill the trim pieces as per the instructions (large holes). I drilled smaller holes in the trim and glued spacers on the trim in the proper locations. This did not weaken the trim pieces. It's been 8 years and no problems.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
They have been on my 2012 since new and now 8 years later and 9,800 miles no problems and no cracks.
Bill

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I think one of the biggest reasons the tabs crack is from over tightening. This is one of the same problems with front fender tabs breaking. I only use a screwdriver handle on the bits. Hand tight is enough.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Thanks Andy. I was told by the guy I bought the 2012 from, and by my "backalley mechanic" who services lots of bikes. He told me he has seen 3 goldwings with damage (broken tabs?).

Are you familiar with the difference between the pre-2012 and the newer models that might affect this?
I can not think of any reason why the 2012-17 is more vulnerable to damage than the 2001-2010. Certainly if you whack the Air Wings on something, both they and fairing parts could be damaged. And, of course, the wings protrude outward more than the fairing (but not the mirrors) so there is some greater risk of of impact. Otherwise, if you liked them on two previous GL1800s, you should not have any greater worries.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had them on my 05 Goldwing and put over 100.000 smiles on it with out one problem and have them on my 16 Goldwing and have 54xxx smiles on it with zero problem.
If I get a another Goldwing Baker Wings will be my first add on.
If I had to only keep one add on for my Goldwing I would keep my Baker Wings

1 - 20 of 34 Posts