Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tulsa Wings

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I know you guys out there have these installed. I am looking at buying some air wings for the side of the fairing. Looks like I have to decide between the Baker w/ Upper and lower, Show Chrome, and the Tulsa ones.

Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly on these if you have them installed. I'm sure all will work but would like the one's that work the best. I ride all year and live in Southern California. So I am interested how they work in hotter and colder air. Thanks ahead of time. I already have the Tulsa mirror deflectors installed and like them.

A

·
0 Posts
I tried both. The Tulsa first, then the Bakers.

The Bakers are far more effective at controling the wind. The Tulsa's are good products, but they really are not moveable. You can do it, but it is a pain.

The Bakers give you the control that you need to manage the air flow best.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Bakers are good as advertised.I have smoke on my yellow 01 and it is a good contrast.Works well in hot and cold weather.I have tulsa mirroe wings and wish I had Bakers.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The first year we used the Baker mirror wings with the V.P.Winglets on the stock windshield and thought that setup was the cat's ass. Reduced the buffeting on Carol to almost nothing. We installed the Baker upper and lower wings that we had sitting in the box for that first year and could not believe the difference.

We noticed our riding time and distance was extended due to less stress from the wind beating us up.

Another plus with the Bakers is the adjust ability, kick the lowers out on the chilly 5:00 AM morning rides to work and the warm air from the radiator outlets is enough to keep the chill off down to about 55 degrees. Anything less the Gerbings will be needed. Close the lowers and kick out the uppers and the mirror wings and the breeze will keep the sweat down up two 80 degrees for the ride home.

Baker gets our vote hands down!

V.P. Winglets & Baker mirror wings.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have the Baker mirror wings and am very pleased with them. My brother a similar product from a vendor at Honda Homecoming in Marysville. They were a bit thicker. I liked the way they divert the heat from the radiator. You do have to exercise caution when using them at low speeds if you divert the hot air the bike may come close to overheating.

Mike
03ILB

·
Registered
567 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't have voted cuz I have only had the Big Bike/Showchrome and Bakers. Of those two, Baker wins hands down.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I first installed the Tulsa wind wings and mirror wings.

Pros:
  • - Good wind deflection from the mirror wings
    - Mirror wings and wind wings do a good job of keeping wind off of rider and passenger
    - A lot of thought went into getting the wind off of the passenger in the wind wing design.
    - No drilling of plastic required.

Cons:
  • - Can't redirect mirror wings to put wind on you.
    - Wind wings can not be directed to put wind on you...well they can a little...see below.
    - The wind wings sit several inches back over radiator outlet and causes the heat to be sucked into the driver area. Good for cool weather, sucks for hot weather.
    - If you turn them in to try and get a little air they really pull the heat in on you, due to them protruding into the radiator area. They don't angle up toward the driver so most wind you get is below the belt.
    - The mirror wings are arched and seem to push air down toward the radiator area, and I'm not sure if this adds to more heat coming onto the rider due to the normal air stream being distrupted.
    - Limited color choices

I could not take the southern heat anymore this sommer with the Tulsa wind wings so I switched over to the Bakers. Huge difference. Major, no comparison. I rode all summer with my Matrix jacket taken down to the mesh. I didn't really get unfomfortable until it got above 95 (I have standard Tulsa shield), but I rode in temps up to 104 with no problem.

Pros:
  • - You can direct the air onto you because they can be angled directly at the driver. Huge difference between Tulsa and Baker in this regard. I could not imagine riding in the summer without them
    - They don't extend into the radiator area like the Tulsa design, so the heat from the radiator is not sucked in to the air pocket.
    - They are devided into two sections so you can still deflect the heat from the top radiator outlet away from you while directing wind onto you with the top section.
    - My 8 yr old daughter said the Bakers were better for her at hwy speeds...for whatever that's worth. My wife didn't see a big difference.
    - The mirror deflectors really block the wind and they deflect the air out out to the side instead of down.
    - The mirror deflectors can be turned in to direct more air to the driver.
    - Lots of color choices.
    - In cool weather you can turn the bottom section in slightly to introduce some warm air. Works better at speeds under 55.
Cons:
  • - If you have the mirror wings set to direct air onto you they can turn around backwards on you if you get a big blast of wind. I scratched my fairing on both sides due to this. Some say you can tighten the bolts enogh to stop this, but I've seen many reports that this does not work and I was afraid of messing up the mirror doing this. I ended up installing some stops (cable stops I bought at Lowes in hardware section) under the mirror to keep them from doing this anymore.
    - The mirror deflectors produce more wind noise than the Tulsa.
    - You have to drill the trim pieces that cover the fairing bolts on the outside edge. They do have good templates and provide the drill bit though.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have the complete set of Baker Built and am very happy with them. I had originally tried the Show Chrome and they were nice looking, but when I questioned this board the response was overwhelmingly Baker.

Now I am a believer as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. I'm glad I asked. I was leaning towards the Tulsa bucause they look better. After all the comments, it sounds like the baker ones do a much better job. I would rather be comfortable then look good. After all I'm on a wing and that along make's me look good. Thanks again for all the input. I LOVE this forum.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Tulsas do a great job and look WAY better. The Bakers have got to be the ugliest accessory I've ever seen added to a wing....JMHO however.

The Tulsas look like they were made for the bike rather than something that someone put together in their garage and tried to rig it up to the bike.

I take them off in the summer months....no holes in the bike and you'd never know they were even installed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd also like to add that I originally thought the Baker's were ugly and that's one reason I went with the Tulsa originally. Now, after having the Bakers on, I think the Bakers are less noticeable, especially the light gray color that I bought.

Even if you think the Baker's are butt ugly....the functionality definitely makes up for their appearance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts