GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there specific maintenance procedures that need to be followed when working on airbag models? I had a 2005 ABS model that I basically tore apart and built up again to install various Hondaline options and third party parts (taller windshield, CB, brake light modulator, etc). I'm planning to install a lot of the same equipment on my 2012 airbag model but I can't find any maintenance manuals for it or for any previous year airbag models for that matter. Additionally, it seems as though forum entries hint at their being special handling requirements when working on airbag models. Is the concern just when working under the center tank cover, or anywhere on the bike? Any help would be appreciated.

J.D.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I understand that anytime you are doing any work around the electrical system, you should remove the ground cable from the battery. Not sure why the ground but doing this would prevent an inadvertent deployment of the airbag. Other than than, I'm not aware of anything else special about the airbag model.

·
Banned
939 Posts
bang goes the bag

I have a '10 airbag and purchased a service manual for it from Hond. Their is a supplemental for specific airbag stuff, and the other pages note when airbag components are an issue while doing other maintence.

The airbag wiring is color coded and it can be a huge mistake to snip or splice into it for mods like lighting. Also the sensors are a consideration when doing front end work or mods and is major operation with the airfilter when you get to remove the heart itself or the bomb however you want to look at it.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I disconnect the negative cable and pull the airbag fuses. You should also wait a few minutes after doing this to allow any residual electrical energy to dissipate.
I would also be carful about static discharge when handling any electrical component.

I did my air filter in my2010 airbag and other than the above precautions, I found the job to actually be easier than on my previous wings.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Also exercise caution around any wiring that is yellow.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
You only need take special precautions if you are going to be working with or around any of the airbag components.

If not, just follow the normal precautions. For example, if you're just changing the oil or removing the rear wheel, you don't have to worry about disconnecting the battery.

If, however, you will be working on or near any of the air bag system sensors/connectors, then you would be well advised to disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait atleast 3 minutes before continuing (per the service manual).

The service manual also has other precautions/warnings that you should probably be knowledgable about when working around the airbag system. A service manual would be a wise investment.

Are there specific maintenance procedures that need to be followed when working on airbag models? I had a 2005 ABS model that I basically tore apart and built up again to install various Hondaline options and third party parts (taller windshield, CB, brake light modulator, etc). I'm planning to install a lot of the same equipment on my 2012 airbag model but I can't find any maintenance manuals for it or for any previous year airbag models for that matter. Additionally, it seems as though forum entries hint at their being special handling requirements when working on airbag models. Is the concern just when working under the center tank cover, or anywhere on the bike? Any help would be appreciated.

J.D.

·
Registered
387 Posts
:agree: with buying the Honda Service Manual.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You only need take special precautions if you are going to be working with or around any of the airbag components.

If not, just follow the normal precautions. For example, if you're just changing the oil or removing the rear wheel, you don't have to worry about disconnecting the battery.

If, however, you will be working on or near any of the air bag system sensors/connectors, then you would be well advised to disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait atleast 3 minutes before continuing (per the service manual).

The service manual also has other precautions/warnings that you should probably be knowledgable about when working around the airbag system. A service manual would be a wise investment.
Rm, do you know why you can't install rotor covers and front fender extender with the '12 airbag model?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Clev I'm thinking it's because the sensors for airbag deployment are probably on the forks and Honda doesn't want anything to interfere with them? Just a guess though!

Pete

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Clev I'm thinking it's because the sensors for airbag deployment are probably on the forks and Honda doesn't want anything to interfere with them? Just a guess though!

Pete
The sensor are mounted on the fork legs and the calipers are mounted in a different position than on non airbag models, so I don't think the rotor covers would fit.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Actually you can install rotor covers on the air bag models. Vendors just don't sell airbag model specific covers so you'll need to modify the covers a bit to fit the slightly different airbag front forks.

I suspect the reason for vendor's not selling rotor covers is partly liability/fear of interference with the crash sensors on the fork legs and demand/cost for having to modify their existing product for a model that isn't as popular as the other 1800 models.

Rm, do you know why you can't install rotor covers and front fender extender with the '12 airbag model?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts