GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall that someone asked if the airbag had saved anyone yet. Well I was in Champions the other day and Jeri said that there was one in California. Apparently this rider rear ended a tractor trailer and was able to walk away from the accident. He wasn't able to or chose not to divulge any details so I was hoping that someone else would be able to shed some light. I have looked but haven't been able to get confirmation.

So, how about our California brothers and sister any gossip on this one?

W

·
0 Posts
WOW........now if this is true, that value of this guy's air bag just went priceless.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Time will tell...

I hope all the Goldwing naysayers who don't believe in the Airbag option have a chance to talk to someone who had a bag deployment and had it save their lives.

10 minutes into any emergency room and you have saved the price of the airbag option...how much is your ass worth anyway?

Anyone who can afford a new Goldwing can surely spend a few more bucks and get all the safety options Honda has to offer.

When you buy a new car today...airbags are in almost every new car....why...cause they save lives....it is a no-brainer.

As time passes...and deployments occur and the documentation comes out regarding their usefulness.....Goldwing riders will come to learn to appreciate that Honda engineers have taken a giant step to help the driver to survive a T-bone type crash. It will not save you from everything....but every little bit helps....

In 1974 when Richard Davis developed the first soft body armor for police officers...all the cops I knew thought it was a bunch of BS.....now almost every police agency in the USA issues or recommends it to be worn by their officers or makes it mandatory wear ......why....cause it saves lives....another no-brainer!! The police agencies that don't have the money to buy and issue it to their officers wish they did...and the smarter cops go ahead and spend the money out of their pockets to buy their own.....how much is your life worth to you????

Enough said.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Re: Time will tell...

Basspro said:
now every police agency in the USA issues it to their officers and makes it mandatory to wear it
Not every department. Tucson PD does not issue vests to the rank and file officer and does not require them to be worn. Buy your own vest and have it 'available' to you is all the rule book says. Don't feel bad for us though, we get a uniform allowance twice a year to make the purchase with. Except for the vest, everything else is issued.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wow!

I really hope to hear some more information about this accident...

This is exactly why I shelled out the extra money for the airbag option!

If anyone has any details at all about this accident, please share asap!

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Don't you think that if there was really a "save" with a Goldwing airbag, Honda and all the dealers would be all over it. It is my impression that car and motorcycle salespeople will say anything to get the sale. I hope this information is accurate, but please forgive me for being skeptical. I the players in this particular story.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Anyone who can afford a new Goldwing can surely spend a few more bucks and get all the safety options Honda has to offer.
Hmmm! Must be that new math!

Geez, You sound like a salesman. "Hey, you're already spending $17,000. What's a few thousand bucks more?"

If you have the bucks, go ahead and do it. But most of us have budgets for play toys and we try to stick to them. The Goldwing was one of the few bikes out there that fit my needs. I was able to find one within my expendable budget and it did not include ABS or an air bag. Between getting a non ABS and non Airbag model vs NOT getting anything, it was a "no brainer" I bought what was within my budget. If it was "just a few more bucks" as you imply, I would have jumped at it if it was available when I bought my 02.

·
Registered
569 Posts

Basspro said:
I hope al the Golwing naysayers who don't believe in the Airbag option have a chance to talk to someone who had a bag deployment and had it save their lives.

10 minutes into any emergency room and you have saved the price of the airbag option...how much is your ass worth anyway?

When you buy a new car today...airbags are in almost every new car....why...cause they save lives....it is a no-brainer.

As time passes...and deployments occur and the documentation comes out regarding their usefulness.....Goldwing riders will come to learn to appreciate that Honda engineers have taken a giant step to help the driver to survive a T-bone type crash. It will not save you from everything....but every little bit helps....

In 1974 when Richard Davis developed the first soft body armor for police officers...all the cops I knew thought it was a bunch of BS.....now every police agency in the USA issues it to their officers and makes it mandatory to wear it...why....cause it saves lives....another no-brainer!!

Enough said.
There are a number of police agencies and sheriff's departments in Arkansas that don't issue vests, or require their wear. Some can't afford them, even with the 50% matching grants the feds offer. We isssue them to every officer and require them to be worn by certain officers though.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If Honda was truely serious about the safety of the people on its bikes, the safety equipment would either be standard or be offered as the initial option - not the last.

Hats off to the other brand that has ABS as standard (along with heated grips and electric windshield), but, it is no Wing.

The Wing is the most awesome bike on the road but rider safety should always come first.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
If I was in charge of public relations at Honda, I would pay the guy big bucks to keep it quiet........... until the commercials come out. Can you imagine being the first person to have his life saved by an air bag on a motorcycle.

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jan Kokochak said:
Don't you think that if there was really a "save" with a Goldwing airbag, Honda and all the dealers would be all over it. It is my impression that car and motorcycle salespeople will say anything to get the sale. I hope this information is accurate, but please forgive me for being skeptical. I the players in this particular story.
Yeah, Jan I too know the players, and the BS meter went into high. That's why I asked for help in confirming it. I have tried every trick I know to confirm it but haven't had any luck.

H

·
0 Posts
Honda has to compete in the marketplace and as long as "Price" is a consideration then many people will opt to not buy some of these extras.

Honda has led the way on a lot of innovations and has a plan to provide ABS and fuel injection on every motorcycle they make. But they can not do it over night. They have to slowly integrate it into their models.

Many folks laughed about the AIR BAG when it was introduced but as lives are saved it will become an easier option for customers to buy

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
wing-renter said:
If Honda was truely serious about the safety of the people on its bikes, the safety equipment would either be standard or be offered as the initial option - not the last.

Hats off to the other brand that has ABS as standard (along with heated grips and electric windshield), but, it is no Wing.

The Wing is the most awesome bike on the road but rider safety should always come first.
Don't you think that buyers should be allowed to decide for themselves what safety features they want on their bikes?

This message board is dominated by posts that complain about Honda forcing buyers to pay for features they don't want to get the features they do want, yet here we have a post proclaiming that these features should be forced on everyone. How would you feel if Honda made GPS standard because they felt it was a safety feature that nobody should be without?

Didn't you say in a prior post that you always carry a gun on your bike? Don't you just hate those gun control lobbyists that want to take that right away from you because it isn't safe. After all, they know better, right? Aren't you doing the same thing here by suggesting air bags be standard?

I wear a helmet at all times and feel that anyone who doesn't is foolish, but I still support the right for the individual to choose for himself.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
LarryM said:
wing-renter said:

Don't you think that buyers should be allowed to decide for themselves what safety features they want on their bikes?

This message board is dominated by posts that complain about Honda forcing buyers to pay for features they don't want to get the features they do want, yet here we have a post proclaiming that these features should be forced on everyone. How would you feel if Honda made GPS standard because they felt it was a safety feature that nobody should be without?

Didn't you say in a prior post that you always carry a gun on your bike? Don't you just hate those gun control lobbyists that want to take that right away from you because it isn't safe. After all, they know better, right? Aren't you doing the same thing here by suggesting air bags be standard?

I wear a helmet at all times and feel that anyone who doesn't is foolish, but I still support the right for the individual to choose for himself.

+++++++++++++++++11111111111111111!!!...chuck

·
Registered
7,209 Posts

Basspro said:

I wish it only costs a few more bucks to buy all the safety options. It's more like 4000 dollars with Honda's packaging. A lot of people are stretching the budget and are glad they can just buy a basic model Gold Wing and that extra 4000 dollars would be a deal killer.

If Honda would make the ABS brakes standard on every Gold Wing they made the price would come down, maybe adding only 300 dollars or so to the price. The same is true with the airbag. I bet Honda could put the air bag and ABS brakes on every Gold Wing they make and the price would only be 1000 dollars more then the base model. Honda won't give you safety because they want to make the most money they can from the safety features.....they couldn't care less about your safety, unless they make money from it.

The same is true with the auto manufactures. The only reason that all cars have airbags today is because the government ordered the manufactures to install them in all cars and light trucks...you can bet they wouldn't have done it themselves if they didn't have too.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Good points Roadie. Hopefully with scale of volume, the costs that it adds to the bike will come down.

All these safety features don't matter much anyway. The safer vehicles get, the worse the drivers and riders get because they get a false sense of invinceability. Vehicle fatalities per mile driven are actually rising, not falling. Even with all these safety features, there is still a motor vehicle death every 12 seconds in this country.

As was pointed out earlier, the best safety feature ever invented is right between our ears. It's free, and people still don't use it.

If this airbag save that was mentioned is true, odds are the accident was avoidable and the airbag would not have been needed.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I remember all the reasons folk had to not want airbags in their cars..until that first headon between two cars with airbags, and both drivers walked away. Foolish arguments, just like the arguments against wearing seatbelts. And, like Jan said up above..if there had been an accident-caused deployment of a Goldwing airbag, it would be all over the news and in Reader's Digest, just like that other first-time airbag deployment.

Yesterday a 34 yo man on a Kawasaki going west on SR 200 in Ocala, met an 88 yo lady turning left across his path, too late for him to stop. He died on impact, and the motorcycle went up in flames. Bet an airbag coulda helped there.

It's kinda like those hurricane shutters I bought last year..regret the high cost, and hope I never need them...but when I do need them, gonna want stronger ones, you betcha!

Ride long and safe..and try not to need an airbag, eh?

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Safety equipment is something you only need when something bad happens. We are all proned to believe something bad will never happen to us. I choose to ride, it's something I want to do badly enough that I accept the risk. So I ask myself, what would I want were something bad to happen?

Here are some things I would want for safety that might be considered optional, in this order:
- Helmet
- ABS
- Protective Gloves
- Safety Boots
- Protective Jacket
- Sunscreen
- Protective Pants
- Airbag
- heat seeking rocket mounted strategically to fire in any direction

1 - 20 of 26 Posts