GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Southbound I 95... 330 ish am... hammer lane at 75 mph... riding 1 up with trailer... semi's ahead in the number two lane... semi's behind in number 3 lane...

All of a sudden there is a full truck tire recap aka a gator smack dab in the middle of the lane not flat but curled up on it's edge.

I had enough time to brace and that was it. Did not put the bike down But am 122 miles from home waiting on AAA. Fog light caling smashed... Both exhaust covers bashed in... I have a 2 piece belly pan the front piece is gone And the second piece is damaged significantly... Left wheel on trailer Being pulled by bike Roughly 20 degrees towed out. Lock mechanism on trailer tweaked. Trailer wiring harness plug destroyed. Miscellaneous lighting issues with aftermarket lights on bike. Ring of fire and front rotor right side took a hit.

That's not all of it but it gives you an idea I will post pictures when I can. Not how I visualized my return home from deals gap. Grrrrrrr

Police report will be ready Friday
Insurance will call me back to schedule inspection later today.

Anybody have some parts... let me know.

Belly pan did it's job. Oil filter shows rubber mark but no visible damage thank god.

22 miles past AAA 100 miles cut off. Grrrrrr

·
Registered
728 Posts
BUMMER :eek:4: Thank God you kept it upright and stopped without any physical injuires to yourself :yes1:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Glad you're ok.

I'm about 100 miles south of Jax
and have a truck if aaa hangs you out.

Dennis

·
Vendor
17,828 Posts
Sounds like you are lucky. I am a firm believer in the 4 second rule.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Good thing it was not a real Gator, cause if so it would have ate your rear tire too. :joke:

Stuff happens, main thing is you can tell the story. Good luck on the repairs and all that stuff.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
WOW DJ:22yikes:, I sure am glad you came through that without going down!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you are lucky. I am a firm believer in the 4 second rule.
The recap did not come off of 1 of the trucks around me I was pointing out that the number 2 and number 3 lane were occupied and I could not move so had to slow down in hammer lane before I could cross over to the right emergency lane.

Thank you so much for the offer to help! AAA..grrr... tow truck finally showed up but they have never towed a goldwing before so it got scketchy very quickly. Then his boss showed up 45 min later. Treated it like a sport bike. I told him to put the straps over the lower triple tree and he looked at me funny. He had put the strap around the fork tube on top of the fork brace and didn't seem to understand why that could be a problem. After he rigged the straps so they wouldn't hit the paint or other body work per my request... he cinched down the front end til it bottomed out and was going to leave it that way.

Anyway... bike is off tow truck. They gave up. I am waiting for a couple of goldwing friends to bring a truck n trailer. Gonna be here a while.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Glad you're ok, hope it works out for you quickly

Doug,
Sorry to hear about your troubles heading home from WD, but more glad that you are ok. Many folks would have spazzed in that moment and made the situation much worse (maybe even laying the bike down which could have been fatal in the situation you describe). Nice job keeping your head and 'taking what you got' in that scenario.

It was a pleasure meeting you at WD33 (I was the guy that rode up to you at TopGun practice to ask your advice on the slow ride). The slow ride still ate my lunch, but I did place third in Novice.

Hope your GW is up and running in no time.

Matt

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Doug...

Really sucks. Glad you're okay.

I hate riding at night. Can't see the road hazards very well.

Great job keeping her upright!

AAA can be good, but it depends TOTALLY on the wrecker driver's knowledge. Good decision using friends after reading your description.

With a little insurance help, she'll be up n' runnin' in no time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I said this before and I'll say it again. Everyone should write their congressman or senator to get those recaps banned. (state and Feds)I've seen cars with front end damage after hitting one of those.
I've contacted my reps

Yours is waiting to hear from you.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Hardware can be replaced. The organic stuff is where you have problems. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Road Gators is a pet peeve of mine. Should be outlawed. Those are the single reason that I keep lots of space between me and the guy in front of me.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Im glad you are ok and are to be commended in not spilling. I have always wondered what would happen if I had to run over one of those.

As to the ban on recaps, that is a knee jerk reaction. A very small percentage of recaps come off, the ones that do are mostly from driver error with too low air pressure, or from buying a recap whereby the casing has been capped too many times. Also, not all of the treads that you see on the highway are recap treads, some of them are tires that werent capped but were run too low on air pressure and came apart. Trucking companies that run recapped tires and purchase 1st run caps have very little failure from them. We have enough laws on the books. Its best to drive slower at night so that you dont outrun your headlights if possible. I am thinking hard about going to HID so that I can get more light on the ground out front for this reason.

·
Registered
173 Posts
As to the ban on recaps, that is a knee jerk reaction. A very small percentage of recaps come off

Take a ride between New Orleans and Houston on I-10 and see how many you have to dodge or just laying on the side of the rode. You may change your mind about the very few. I drove it every other week for two and half years. Seen plenty of damaged front ends during that time from these things. Seen a few come off.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I was alongside a truck when its trailer "gave birth" to one of those road gators. It came off the mother-truckin' tire so fast, looking for a live meal. Fortunately it bounded over my cage and ended up in the weeds. Scary, to say the least.

While I have only seen one come off and have hit one, I see a lot of them, especially in Illinois in the summer.

You are right: Those things should be banned. Or make them do a better design.

But the only things damaged were plastic and metal. Glad you're OK. The rest is easy.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
good recaps are fine, its the low quallity recaps that need to be outlawed, the recap outfits know exactly which ones are no good and sell them to folks that don't know better :wrong:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Glad to hear you are alright. Not sure why the wrecker couldn't transport it by following your instructions... they need to pay attention to owners sometimes. Hope things get worked out and you get transported home quickly... going to be interesting pictures for sure. Hang in there.

While a "small percentage" of recaps might fail - in an environment like Chicagoland which sees a truckload of trucks hourly (!), my 20 mile commute often yields no less than 4 to 6 recaps on the shoulders or in between lanes, daily.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts