GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s a very fine line….

I am going to wrap up most of my packing and finish off my trailer this weekend and change my oil for an upcoming ride and this afternoon I had a idea.

What would be the best way to build a harness to pick my Wing up with an excavator and where should I attach the straps to the bike??? I have some steel laying around and I could even weld up an H-spreader bar or something.

The harness will attach to the underside of the bucket where there are two eye loops via chains or straps.

Or perhaps a more sane approach would be to build a stand that it rolls on and is strapped to and then pick it up by that stand, but there goes the tire change possibilities.

Not a necessary thing but might be fun thing to try.

Suggestions? Or bad, very, very, very bad idea?

Ever seen it done before other than pulling a wrecked Wing out of the ditch?

If I could pull it off might even consider airborne winter storage off an I-beam.

‘10 airbag

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
There is YouTube video on building the Goldwing where it shows the bike being lifted off the assembly line with straps attached to the front crashbars and the rear frame cross-member with the seat off.

Right around the 6:00 mark

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is YouTube video on building the Goldwing where it shows the bike being lifted off the assembly line with straps attached to the front crashbars and the rear frame cross-member with the seat off.

Right around the 6:00 mark
Most interesting indeed thanks for the video. Had not seen that before.

Anyone think this would cause any issues if I were to try this for long term airborne storage.

Don't worry I will not hold you accountable for any disasters. This is all conjecture you are only offering up theoretical theory.

Has anyone seen this done other than in this video? Right at the 5:55 min mark in the video the whole near fully completed bike is lifted before another line stage.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Another Idea if you have the height

On about a 50% scale, I hung a couple of my bike on straps for a month or so while I worked on and engine and doing my forks,

I used 1" black gas pipe from Home Depot, cost me about $50. When I was finished, I just disassembled the pipe for storage.

If you have the height, why not think about this route (and I hate to admit, the wife suggested this). We had a garage that had a 13 foot high ceiling, so I bought a car lift ($3000 delivered) that would lift 9000lbs and could rise to have a clearance of 6ft 8in. It had two plates that filled the void between the two ramps, which gave it a surface area of 16ft x 6ft. I bought 8 sheets of 3/4" x 4' x 8' plywood, doubled those up and made a platform 8' x 16' x 1.5". This gave me a huge area for storage, almost equivalent as having an extra garage bay. The lift worked on 110v, so no extra heay duty wiring was needed. I could lift all my toys up in about 75 seconds and bring them down in about 20 seconds.

Here's a couple of pictures

Here it's loaded up

I built a 4' x 21' platform, 6' off the floor, on the backwall of my garage, basically it was just the same as an outdoor deck but inside. I used the car lift as an elevator and stored a couple of bikes up on my storage deck.

Here's a slide show showing the whole project.

http://www.mad-ducati.com/SlideShow2.php?mode=Gallery&GalleryId=170

I assembled the car lift completely by myself, I rented a Duct Lift, basically a hand operated fork lift, to lift the two platforms to 6' off the ground. I have since moved twice and disassembled in and put it up in other garages. Although my current garage did not have the height, so it's sitting as a glorified shelf.

All the blue parts are the lift

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ChrisE, thank you for taking the time to post that up. I must say that is the best looking elevator I have ever seen.

Your system also has the added bonus of deflecting the "honey we just don't have the space argument".

Very cool! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
You are welcome, I forgot to mention, I had the center garage door modified. Before I put the lift in, the garage door opener hung down about 5 feet along with the rails, you can see this in some of the pictures I had the rail moved to have it run straight up the front vertical wall so that the motor and rails did not interfere with the car lift. They added a couple of extra panels to the door.

Some of the pictures show the garage door in the original position and others in the modified location.

We've moved twice since, once to FL and now to TN. In FL we bought a house with 10' high garage ceilings, we had a 3 car garage with a double door and a single door. Because I wanted to use the single door bay as my bike workshop area, I didn't want to put the lift in this bay as it would block all overhead light. So I turned it sideways in the double bay. I had it set at about 6' 2" clearance and just used it to store stuff.

I wanted to replicate the rear wall storage and so built all the cabinets.

Here's a slideshow of that project
http://www.mad-ducati.com/SlideShow2.php?mode=Gallery&GalleryId=315

Now in TN, I couldn't find a house with heigh ceilings, so I compromised and found a found with a 5 bay garage.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts