GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Has anyone used both? I know what the difference between the two are and I want to know if saving $30 by buying the Airhawk 2 version is worth it. Has anyone had a blow out on either one yet ???

2) Do straps need to be bought too? I some times stand a little on my highway pegs to change positions and do not want the pad to fly away...but if I do that and the pad sits still, I really do not want to strap it on the seat....

3) I have an alaska sheepskin and want to put it over the pad for more cushion for the butt. Anyone try this? If so, was it worth it ?

Thanks... :doorag: :cool:
:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have had an Airhawk 1, I guess it is, since June of 08. I do not strap it on the seat so i can take it off and lock it up. they are expensive and can grow feet very fast. I have never added air since I bought it and I would estimate it has 60k miles on it. NO it is not for sale. Great product. bb

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you ever stand up off seat riding down the road? I guess if you do, the pad stays put ??

Yes, I would figure it would have legs and I will also be locking it up when I am off and away from the bike..

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have been known to stand up on the bike to jingle my bells a little. but not often. the Airhawk is so comfortable for me I can sit between fill ups without issue. wife has one in the back seat also and just as good of service. bb

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I keep the back of mine tucked in between the seat and the back rest part of the seat.

But I use very little air in it, tucks into the crevice just fine.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Here is an idea, go buy one of those inflated seat cushion that has a hole in the middle(the kind you get for hemroides) from walmart. Blow it up and put inside your square walmart cushion cover you have already. An air hawk 3 for a lot less.

DanL

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea Dan, that was on my mind as well. Something like an 8" tire tube or something and stuff it in the cover to see....

Here is an idea, go buy one of those inflated seat cushion that has a hole in the middle(the kind you get for hemroides) from walmart. Blow it up and put inside your square walmart cushion cover you have already. An air hawk 3 for a lot less.

DanL

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The use of the airhawk 3 has been reported here before, so it must be the only way to go Ha HA

DanL

·
Registered
7,796 Posts

DanL
I use an inflatable neck pillow with very little air in it. Same effect as the inflatable donut, but it has a cut-out that helps keep the twins cool. It works well either under or on top of my Walmart seat cushion, but I usually use it on top. I haven't tried putting it inside the cushion cover, but that sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'm looking at the Airhawk as well. On their web site, it states that the major difference between the two is the material. The regular Airhawk is made from neoprene and more expense materials. The 2 just seems to be less expensive materials and is cheaper as a result.
The older I get, the flatter my backside gets. I need to figure something out or I'll be stopping even more.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a air-hawk one for 3-4 years then it started to leak i repaired it once and after a year or so it started to leak again so i got a n 8 inch wheelbarrow inter tube and put it inside the air-hawk bag, For me this $4.00 investment is way better then the air-hawk ever was.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yea Dan, that was on my mind as well. Something like an 8" tire tube or something and stuff it in the cover to see....
YOU might want to try a SEMI-TRUCK tube!:lol: Just saying:joke:
We have them Mike (the Air-Hawks) and they are much better then the Wally World cushions IMHOP! I do have ours strapped but they can be removed easy enough!

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
YOU might want to try a SEMI-TRUCK tube!:lol: Just saying:joke:
We have them Mike (the Air-Hawks) and they are much better then the Wally World cushions IMHOP! I do have ours strapped but they can be removed easy enough!
At almost 9 1/2 times the price, shouldn't they be? ($189 vs $20) :shrug:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hell man I am cheap. I think I will blow off the airhawk cushion for now and will experiment first. I am heading out in a bit to find some memory foam to throw in the wally world seat cover to lay on top of the cushion for more comfort. Hope that will be the cheap fix...:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I guess the adage for goldwingers is CHEAP! LOL

Thank goodness we all aren't that way....

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I guess the adage for goldwingers is CHEAP! LOL

Thank goodness we all aren't that way....
I prefer to call it being "frugal". Why spend $200 when $20 will do? Did you ever buy anything from a board member? Why? You could have bought a new one and spent more $$$. I like the old adage, "a penny saved is a penny earned". If I can save $180, that will buy a lot of gas and will get me 1,800 miles down the road. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I prefer to call it being "frugal". Why spend $200 when $20 will do? Did you ever buy anything from a board member? Why? You could have bought a new one and spent more $$$. I like the old adage, "a penny saved is a penny earned". If I can save $180, that will buy a lot of gas and will get me 1,800 miles down the road. :thumbup:
I agree with you about being frugal! I bought our Wing and spent the money so the Wife and her bad back would still be able to ride with me! If it was just me riding, my Triumph Tiger is all I'd have!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use the airhawk 1 under the Alaska Sheepskin. I like it a lot. I have found that bicycle shorts help the most with my issue. I get sore in one little spot where I get a wrinkle in my pants (got white guy disease - noassatall).
Biggest differnce in airhawk 1 and the airhawk 2 also has a gel pad. I tried a gel pad as my first attempt to ease my achin aaa, uh, backside. It help a little but got hot quick (I do live in the souff).
After reading all these posts, I have been thinking about going to the small inner tube (maybe a 12 incher) with just a bit of air in it. Cheaper and much more durable (and if someone takes a liking to it, cheap to replace!)

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I went out to a local fabric store and bought a 1" thick foam. Shaped it and stuffed it in the walmart cushion as the bottom cushion and will see how it all works out tomorrow. Bummer is I busted the zipper to the cover closing it all up. If I like the feel of it all, I will get someone to put a new zipper in before I leave next week to the Smoky Mountains....:thumbup:

That with my alaska sheepskin over it should make it a lot better....i hope...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts