GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ipurchased the new AIRRIDER GL 1800 volt -gear indicator.Installation proceeded smoothly until i tried to find a black plug where the gear component of the gauge should be connected.Instructions direct the installer to find a black connecto near the left side of the triple tree working fromthe lower fairing,I simply could not find it.I also looked under the left front pocket and once again with negative results .Anyone has had this difficulty installing this combined volt- gear gauge from airrider? Any suggestionswill be appreciated. :roll:

·
Registered
15 Posts
:) Have you tried going back to the manufacturer of this voltmeter/gear indicator? That is the FIRST place I would go. Normally you can find an e-mail address or phone number.

Ted

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Josian,

I just finished building a gear indicator of my own and took some pictures of the installation process, but I'm not at home right now to post it for you. On my '02 ABS model, the 6-pin connector is located under the air filter enclosure - not very easy to get to.

Once I found it, I tried to find an easier way to get to it: from the front by removing the inner cowl, but could not find an easier way to get to the connector. The service manual has a nice picture that shows where the connector is, let me know if you need the page or picture of it and I'll dig it out when I get hom.

I'd give AirRider a call. For what you paid for that unit, they should include the installation!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
8) Thanks to The help provided by Board Member Jon Sargeant,I was able to complete the installation of my AIRRIDER gear/volt gauge.To find the wires needed to connect the gear portion of the gauge in an ABS model,(regular model does not pose this problem) one must do the following:remove top shelter;get to and open air cleaner housing;rewmove gas tank;remove air cleaner housing;and then find -right there- in the deep bowels of the bike,the rubber boot that contains the connector in question.In the regular model this is not necessary because there being no ABS modulators obstructing,the connector can be reached from the front after only removing the lower cowl.
The gauge works like a jewel and the display is very visible even in daylight conditions.The gauge looks very professional -like OEM.
Airrider has been advised .They candidly admitted tha their installation instructions were prepared on the basis of a non ABS bike.They will warn other buyer accordingly and even offered to return the purchase price if I did not want to proceed with the installation.
In sum,I am very satisfied but warn ABS owners in the event they are not proficient mechanically,the installation may cost $$ if a Honda dealer or GW mechanic is retained. 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts