GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of Baker Built Airwings from a member here, thanks again David. They installed in minutes, look really good, and when Leslie and I took her out for an evening ride, we both noticed how quiet the ride seemed to be. This was by far the quietest, as far as road noise, we have experienced on this bike. Little to no wind noise from the microphones, and speaking of wind, Leslie said she hardly noticed the wind she normally has in the back seat. I absolutely love these things, money well spent, and money I'd spend again if needed. If I had to change one thing, I'd prefer the ratcheted pivots found on the National Cycle versions, but for now I'm very happy with what I've got. This Summer's trips are going to be a lot more pleasant.

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
Agreed. Put them on both our wings four years ago. During a cold ride, having the bottom wings open really does produce some warmth. And of course during hot weather, the two top wings help cool. They are however, ugly. But effective. Geez, that describes a lot of my friends.:laugh:

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
I personally don't use air wings; however, if I were to use them I would choose the Baker Wings for the following reasons. Theirs are good quality, and they support their product. That means that individual parts can be ordered if they are needed. Many accessories suppliers sell the accessory and offer no support later on if something were to happen .... as in, I'm sorry and would be more then happy to sell you another entire kit. For me that is a total turn off.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I personally don't use air wings; however, if I were to use them I would choose the Baker Wings for the following reasons. Theirs are good quality, and they support their product. That means that individual parts can be ordered if they are needed. Many accessories suppliers sell the accessory and offer no support later on if something were to happen .... as in, I'm sorry and would be more then happy to sell you another entire kit. For me that is a total turn off.
I've got Baker wings on my '07 bike and I really like the way they work. And Greg's info about them backing their products is spot on. I have an older set that have the round bumpers on the cross brace instead of the newer style they use. I spoke with one of their reps at Wing Ding about getting replacements since one of mine was missing and he said they didn't have them with them, but to call the office and they would be able to help me. Time went by and I finally remembered to call them. Within a week, I had four new bumpers in the mail. The parts were cheap, shipping not so much, but I got what I needed and solved my problem. I like the fact they had parts for older setups as well as the current ones. Well worth the money if I must say so.

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've had air wings for 6 years. Only this week did I realize the lowers are useful for directing warm air at your shins. It was 50F and I was wearing jeans. I could feel it. (Usually I'm wearing cordura riding pants) I've only really thought of the lowers for keeping the warm air away. The mid wings and mirror wings are very nice when wanting that extra breeze.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
640 Posts
I purchased a set of Baker Built Airwings from a member here, thanks again David. They installed in minutes, look really good, and when Leslie and I took her out for an evening ride, we both noticed how quiet the ride seemed to be. This was by far the quietest, as far as road noise, we have experienced on this bike. Little to no wind noise from the microphones, and speaking of wind, Leslie said she hardly noticed the wind she normally has in the back seat. I absolutely love these things, money well spent, and money I'd spend again if needed. If I had to change one thing, I'd prefer the ratcheted pivots found on the National Cycle versions, but for now I'm very happy with what I've got. This Summer's trips are going to be a lot more pleasant.
I agree 100% wouldn't be without them.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The ... wings are very nice when wanting that extra breeze.
Yep. I only have the mirror wings, but in Colorado it’s normal for the morning commute to 50* and the afternoon commute to be 85*.
Commonly the wings are keeping cold off my hands in the AM, and pushing air to my body in the PM.
Riding up to the mountains, the wings are open leaving the house, and closed an hour later in the chilly mountain air.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And so it begins! :wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I disagree with the part that they look really good and I agree with the part that they are ugly.
Agreed, They do not look good. One reason I'm glad mine are the black hardware and smoke option.

Its a function over form compromise.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
735 Posts
I added Baker Wings on my 2016 GW as well as the upper ones that hang below the mirrors. I think the biggest difference is that I can direct cooler air on myself on hot days, but it also helps keep the cold air off me on colder days. Personally I don't care one way or the other about how they look because they function so well. Combined with the vent in the windscreen they help make hot weather riding much more pleasant.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
For winter, I had the mega monte of wings on the bike: mirror wings, knee high (dual) wings, lower wings, and foot rain deflectors. When spring came, I removed ll but the mirror wings. First thing I noticed was a 2-3 MPG bump up. I also noticed much less sail effect re:handling of the bike.

I also installed a Madstad this spring, and had read that it is only compatible with the mirror wings. I waited a bit to remove the miscellaneous wings, in order to test them with the Madstad. I now agree, everything functions better overall with just the mirror wings.

Come fall, I may reinstall the +4 windshield and all the wings, but for now, the Madstad and mirror wings are working great, as good combo.

I also agree, the Baker originals are superior to copycat competitor versions. I got the mirror wings from a competitor, and the mounting provision rendered them all but useless, till I re-engineered them to miimic Baker's setup. Now they work great, and stay in place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts