GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY HOW R U GUYS AJUSTING THE STANDING WAVES ON THESE CB ANTENNAS WHAT KIND OF GAGE DO I NEED ????I REMEBER BACK IN THE DAY I HAD ONE BUT IT WAS FOR RG58 CABLE WHERE CAN I GET ONE FOR THE BIKE???PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN THANKS SUPERJETT

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
superjett said:
HEY HOW R U GUYS AJUSTING THE STANDING WAVES ON THESE CB ANTENNAS WHAT KIND OF GAGE DO I NEED ????I REMEBER BACK IN THE DAY I HAD ONE BUT IT WAS FOR RG58 CABLE WHERE CAN I GET ONE FOR THE BIKE???PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN THANKS SUPERJETT
Your old meter will work if you still have it, you just need the adapters for the CB antenna cable. I think Honda uses "RCA"(?) connectors. If you get a new meter you still need the adapters.

Radio Shack has all you need including the meter if you need a new one of those. :wink:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I picked up an swr meter from the board here. I have yet to use it, but it looks like it has all the cables and such. Any tips or suggestions before one tackles this job would be helpful.

·
Registered
332 Posts
SWR

The biggest tip would be to make sure that you are at least 25 feet away from another vehicle or building. Then start by checking the SWR with the antenna located midway on it's adjustment. Figure out which way gets you closer to a 1:1 ratio. Then move slowly in that direction. You may need to grind off some of the antenna to get it right. My stock antenna needed about 1/4 inch removed. Be careful and work slowly, as you know the old saying, I cut it twice and it was still too short!!

G

·
If you are using the Honda CB antenna, it comes with RG58 cable attached. I believe the Sierra antenna does also.

As for fiddling with the SWR with an antenna such as the Honda OEM or the Sierra that is designed for the 1800, pretty much a waste of time.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's not a waste of time, especially if you know what you are doing, it only takes a few minutes to get a good SWR.

G

·
WVGuy said:
It's not a waste of time, especially if you know what you are doing, it only takes a few minutes to get a good SWR.
Well, WV, with 25 years of ham radio under my belt, I guess I probably know what I am doing, at least a little bit. I know enough to know that fine tuning the SWR on a CB radio on a motorcycle is a waste of time unless you try to use a crappy antenna. The OEM Honda and the Sierra are pretty well tuned as they come.

Further, a motorcycle is a poor platform for any radio let alone a CB, and the CB band isn't worth fine tuning since it is only useful as an intercom between bikes at close range, where one or two SWR numbers either way won't amount to a hill of beans in range or audio quality.

However, each to his own. Everyone has a perfect right to waste all the time they like. :roll: :lol:

Personally, I prefer to spend my time "fine tuning" things that matter.

Now I will sit back and let the flames and CB radio urban legends commence. :crew:

·
Registered
145 Posts
SWR

Adjusting the SWR is necessary with any radio transmitter. You adjust the length of the cable such that the propogating wave will not reflect at the load (antenna) and then come back and subtract from your signal. The conditions for the antenna are not ideal with a motorcycle since you don't have a good ground plane. However, I put an antenna on a Pontiac Fiero (also plastic) and it worked well.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
IBTrike said:
WVGuy said:
Well, WV, with 25 years of ham radio under my belt, I guess I probably know what I am doing, at least a little bit. I know enough to know that fine tuning the SWR on a CB radio on a motorcycle is a waste of time unless you try to use a crappy antenna. The OEM Honda and the Sierra are pretty well tuned as they come.

Further, a motorcycle is a poor platform for any radio let alone a CB, and the CB band isn't worth fine tuning since it is only useful as an intercom between bikes at close range, where one or two SWR numbers either way won't amount to a hill of beans in range or audio quality.

However, each to his own. Everyone has a perfect right to waste all the time they like. :roll: :lol:

Now I will sit back and let the flames and CB radio urban legends commence. :crew:
Well, I have 21 years as an Aircraft mechanic, and since cars and motorcycles are both vehicles that carry people, I guess I'm an expert on both... right? Have you considered that even with your wealth of knowledge on HAM radio, there might be something useful to getting as close to a flat match as you can with the pissy little cb and antenna we have on our non-ground plane, plastic laden motorcycles?

People like to throw the EXPERT challenge flag out around here like it's an NFL playoff game.

·
Registered
510 Posts
IBTrike said:
WVGuy said:

John, as poor of a platform as a Goldwing may be for any type of radio transmitter, I would still like to have as much range available to me as possible in case i get separated from my buddys.
The Honda CB has protective circuitry which can detect a bad SWR and correspondingly reduces the output power to protect the output stage. The extra 10 or 15 minutes it might take to
achieve a decent match is surely not that much of a waste of time.

By the way, I am also into ham radio going on 20 years now, with an Advanced Class license, call sign is KE8AH, previously N8FXE.

Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can't say that I am or am not an expert at anything in life. But I did just purchase a Honda CB and OEM Honda Antenna from HAL and when I checked the SWR's they were at 3.2 on Channel 19 and 2.5 on channel 1. Since I will spend most of my time on channel one with other riders, I selected channel 1 to set my SWR's at. Maybe this makes since, maybe it doesn't but that's what I did. After trimming my antenna off at 1/4" increments 4.5 times I ended up with a 1.1 reading on channel 1. That gives me about 1.5 on Channel 19 for Highway information. Anyway, honda CB plus Honda Antenna does not mean tuned system. Me and a friend of mine Brian Hand checked out the range this afternoon and through the backroads we could talk very reasonalbly 2-3 miles apart. We felt the tuning time if 10 minutes was well worth it.

G

·
mattcaswell said:
IBTrike said:
WVGuy said:

Well, I have 21 years as an Aircraft mechanic, and since cars and motorcycles are both vehicles that carry people, I guess I'm an expert on both... right? Have you considered that even with your wealth of knowledge on HAM radio, there might be something useful to getting as close to a flat match as you can with the pissy little cb and antenna we have on our non-ground plane, plastic laden motorcycles?

People like to throw the EXPERT challenge flag out around here like it's an NFL playoff game.
Hi Matt:

What does FINE tuning the antenna on a radio band that is near useless on a motorcycle (or anywhere else) have to do wiith properly tuning the antenna on an aircraft?

I sure understand the difference. Is there something you don't understand about the functionality or importance of the two radio services?

Fine tuning a CB motorcyle antenna might gain you a couple of miles of range under the best of conditions so you can BS a bit farther.

Properly tuning an aircraft radio antenna can save your life. :!:

I am not an expert. Just a common sense guy. And my 1800 stock CB works just fine....if CB radio can be considered "fine" under anyones definition. Garbage...and only good as a bike to bike intercom. Fine antenna SWR tuning is a waste of time.

Tune to your hearts content. Just get those A/C radios right. I fly once in a while. :lol:

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I removed my reply to avoid a flame war. Read my original post again and you might see my point.

Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I've thought a lot about this CB problem.

My suggestion is we all get Verizon cell phones and bluetooth ear buds.

Air time on Verizon when calling mobile to mobile customers is free.

We could have
unlimited intercom
unlimited bike to bike
if each rider had three way calling we could link a whole "chain" of riders together
and ... the range would be almost limitless.

:wink:

my two cents,
Dennis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts