GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE TO BUY A SWR METER FOR THIS KIND OF CABLE !!!I REMEMBER BACK IN THE DAY I HAD ONE FOR RG 58 WICH I USED ON MY BASE STATION ANTENNA TO AJUST THE SWR'S PLEASE HELP IF U CAN SO I CAN FINISH MY INSTALL!!!THANKS SUPERJETT

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
Sierra Electronics has the meter and cables you need.

www.sierra-mc.com

If you still have your SWR meter you can use it on the bike. You will just need the cables from Sierra or make your own.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
superjett said:
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE TO BUY A SWR METER FOR THIS KIND OF CABLE !!!I REMEMBER BACK IN THE DAY I HAD ONE FOR RG 58 WICH I USED ON MY BASE STATION ANTENNA TO AJUST THE SWR'S PLEASE HELP IF U CAN SO I CAN FINISH MY INSTALL!!!THANKS SUPERJETT
I got my setup at radio shack. You just need the SWR meter and the 2 adapters. I'll see if I can find the posting that had the numbers and I'll edit them back in here.

matt

·
Registered
338 Posts
Is there really any benefit to tuning it?
If yes how much benefit?
I always ride in a group. Typically we get about a mile range (depending on many different factors).

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
If you install a Honda brand antenna system, the SWR will be pretty close to dealer or factory installed systems. All of the cables are the same length and if you compare the length of the upper portion above the center load with that of a antenna of another Goldwing it will be ok.

if you do adjust the SWR's with a meter, adjust it on the channel that you will most frequenty use.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
sumdumbperson said:
Is there really any benefit to tuning it?
If yes how much benefit?
I always ride in a group. Typically we get about a mile range (depending on many different factors).
You might experience better performance, longer CB service life, and the pride and peace of mind that the system is tuned correctly.

Other than that...

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
DT said:
You might experience better performance, longer CB service life, and the pride and peace of mind that the system is tuned correctly.

Other than that...
I agree, from the dealer mine was set at 1.8:1. I was able to bring it down to 1.1:1 (does not get any better than that) and have noticed marked improvement in use including better range and audiblity.

BAT

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
The difference between 1.1:1 and 1.8:1 is negligible but worthwhile for the peace of mind I guess.

I find on my '06 Wing while riding in a group the other riders sound a bit distorted that are closer and better the further away they are. I suspect that the output and audio of the newer systems is a little stronger. The CB systems on the GL1500's and other earlier model Goldwings I've owned had better and clearer reception.

Generally, while adjusting SWR's, standing near the antenna may cause false reading on an SWR meter. Any metallic or other object that are grounded will have an effect.

I've been an avid 11 meter band radio operator for many years and that had been my experience.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Kikker said:
If you install a Honda brand antenna system, the SWR will be pretty close to dealer or factory installed systems. All of the cables are the same length and if you compare the length of the upper portion above the center load with that of a antenna of another Goldwing it will be ok.

if you do adjust the SWR's with a meter, adjust it on the channel that you will most frequenty use.
I disagree
On my 02,we had to grind close to an inch off the antenna to get 1.1/1
On my 04,it was 1.1/1 right out of the box.
Can't explain it,but it's true

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Re: Swirz

KA7W said:
If my radio came from factory at a SWR of 1.8:1 and I was talking to you, Then we tuned the antenna to 1.1:1, What would you see, smell, or hear that would be different ??

What is the input impedance of a antenna at 1:1 and what is it at 2:1 ??

If the impedance reads 37 -j100 and you want 38 +/-0, do you add to the length or reduce the length ??

Why would it read 37 ohms rather than 50 ohms ??

If your vertical antenna reads 50 Ohms (SWR 1:1), then what would your losses be ??

What are the ground losses on a Goldwing ??

Questions and more questions :lol:

JMHO 8)
More questions:

How many SWR's does a particular radio/antenna have?

Do I have to change the SWR's with each oil and filter change; do the old SWR's get dirty?

How does the crush washer affect the SWR's?

Seriously, if it feels good, do it. CB has such lousy range and audio quality, the words "range" and "quality" should not even be used in the same sentence as "CB". :wink:

The FM (FRS, Amateur Radio, GMRS) stuff is billions and billions of times better.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: Swirz

The FM (FRS said:
billions and billions[/i] of times better.
Well, all we have to work with right now is CB.
Sure you can go out and buy a GMRS or FRS or something technologically advanced. I talk to myself enough at home, when I ride I like to talk to someone and they reply...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I think you should adjust your SWR...You gap your spark plugs even though they will work right off of the shelf,,,,,,you put air in your tires even though they will get you where you are going with whatever amount of air is in them,,,so go ahead and adjust your CB antenna...it isn't hard and it doesn't take long...Also,put a piece of carpet or heavy cardboard under your kick stand , and don't stand next to the antenna or touch it while reading the meter.........Adjusting the meter will help your radio,,,better RF Gain andAF Gain,,,,,to some of you who want to know the difference to : Whats the diff between 1.1 to 1.8 """ well,,,you dont tune your fm radio to 96.75 when you want to listen to 96.9 or you dont tune to 811 am to listen to 820 am.......You will be much happier knowing and having your antenna tuned properly !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My radio will reach about 4 miles. A friend I ride with and I have tested it several times and it is true the closer we get the worse it sounds. If we stay a couple hundreds apart is when it is the best. I know people say these CB's are overpriced and all but you should see the look on the couple's face that doesn't have a CB when we all stop and the rest of us or laughing about something we saw along the road and they didn't hear or see it. 8) priceless

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I still say you guys are trying to split hairs so to speak.

The only thing I'm not familiar with is the lack of ground plane on a Goldwing.

Most CB radio and antenna systems on cars and truck are lucky to get the SWR's below 1.8:1. There are so many variable that affect SWR's on vehicles that have a ground plane. Most do not have a center load on the antenna to compensate for the short upper mass.

What I am pretty confident about on my '06 GL1800 is that, when riding with other 1800's in a group, my receive is very distorted. The one that are further away are easiest to understand with more clarity.

I also found something a bit surprising to me. When I picked up my new GL1800, a friend drove my pickup back home. On the way home I got on a wrong bypass from the route my friend took. I drove around a loop hoping to catch up with him. When getting back on the road that I should have been on to start with, my friend was about 8 to 10 miles further down the road and I was still able to talk to him very easily. That would have been near impossible on one of the earlier model Goldwings I've had.

I do know you can't stand close to an antenna while adjusting SWR's.

I guess I'm going to have to check to see what the SWR setting on my 1800 is.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I was under the impression that tuning the SWR was so you would not heat the finals in the radio, causing them to burn out sooner.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Kikker said:
I still say you guys are trying to split hairs so to speak.

The only thing I'm not familiar with is the lack of ground plane on a Goldwing.

Most CB radio and antenna systems on cars and truck are lucky to get the SWR's below 1.8:1. There are so many variable that affect SWR's on vehicles that have a ground plane. Most do not have a center load on the antenna to compensate for the short upper mass.

What I am pretty confident about on my '06 GL1800 is that, when riding with other 1800's in a group, my receive is very distorted. The one that are further away are easiest to understand with more clarity.

I also found something a bit surprising to me. When I picked up my new GL1800, a friend drove my pickup back home. On the way home I got on a wrong bypass from the route my friend took. I drove around a loop hoping to catch up with him. When getting back on the road that I should have been on to start with, my friend was about 8 to 10 miles further down the road and I was still able to talk to him very easily. That would have been near impossible on one of the earlier model Goldwings I've had.

I do know you can't stand close to an antenna while adjusting SWR's.

I guess I'm going to have to check to see what the SWR setting on my 1800 is.
8-10 miles? My bikes haveNEVER seen that. Typically it is about a mile. Maybe a little more maybe a little less but usually about a mile. 8-10? Sounds like a skip or a bounce to me, definitely not normal/average. I am not an electronics ham radio type. But I guess even a tuned CB on a bike will never average those type of numbers. I would be curious what others averages are. I use my CB every week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts