GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about you guys using alarm systems on your Wings and would like more info, please. About how much do they run and where does one get them? Any preferences for the best?
My preference is to have the system correctly identify the crook, then electrocute him/them on the spot. Later, it may call the police if applicable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The following are two of the alarms sold by the sponsor of this forum. I like the Scorpio because it has a perimeter sensor and has a "plug & play" wiring harness available for it. Trying to do "splice & dice" wiring on the Wing is a real challenge.

Scorpio SR-i500 two-way FM security system alarm. with perimeter sensor and battery backup. Available with factory plug-in connector kit ordered separately. SCO-40200005, $359.95

Gorilla Cycle Alarm. GOR-6007, $79.78

·
Registered
536 Posts
Why bother with an alarm? Nobody steals Gold Wings.
I'm interested in an alarm with a proximity sensor because when the Wing is covered and parked at a motel overnight, nobody knows that it's a Wing. I just don't want anybody messing with it.

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
I just installed a G Force alarm with perimeter sensor and pager. The photos are here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gforce

I wanted an alarm for the same reasons, as I am frequently staying in hotels and motels in Timbuktu and I would sleep better knowing my bike is not being molested and having a pager by the bed. This way I don't feel so worried if I can't park the bike right in front of the room.

The harness is made by Electrical Connections and plugs into the GL1800 harness with no splicing. It monitors for motion, shock, tilt and even monitors the saddlebags. Add on additional wire and it will also monitor the trunk as well. I am also getting ready to add micro switches to all four gloveboxes that will trigger it, and I may even find a way to put one on the GPS. The alarm triggers the turn signal lights, just like the trunk lock/unlock does. The perimeter sensor has a warn away function that gives your two warnings before activating the alarm.

The range on the Pager is the best I have seen. They use a 4 watt 27mhz transmitter that has lots of power, and they claim up to 1 mile of range though I haven't tested the range yet myself.

I'll be doing some more testing over the coming weeks and doing a full write up on it. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Did somebody steal a Wing???

I found the perfect solution to the bike being parked in front of the motel; its a half cover. The guys that are hoping to find a Crotch Rocket or a Harley will go no further (knock on wood).

I take the electronics inside, lock the wheel and figure the crane will awaken me if it pulls up to cart the Wing away.

This is just my solution to security, and I'm a worrier!

On the humorous side, when I was at the Americade closing fireworks a few years ago, all the jiggle alarms started screaming for help. I thought they might drown out the fireworks. So I learned that alarms are very popular.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I agree with previous post by Spunky "Why bother with an alarm? Nobody steals Gold Wings." If some one wants my wing bad enough...they will get it....and then I get to go and acquire a 2005 model :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Alarm

I like the Gorilla because it is easy instalation and it works if the bike is touched.. Also has a garage door opener optional cheap and it works great with the 1st button on the remote.. One fault is that sound sets it off or maybe vibration because when a Harley parks next to it goes off.. Still trust it. About $80. And $20 more for the garage opener accessory.. BJ

·
Registered
241 Posts
Alarm Recommendations

Like Deadeye said...half-cover, fork lock, plus, throw on a disc lock and put the Wing in reverse before shutting it down. No one is going to roll your baby away! Besides, recent stats indicate that Wings really aren't the bike of choice when it comes to motorcycle theft.

JMHO. Rest easy, and sleep soundly
:wink:

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
My concern is not so much theft of the bike itself, as it is someone molesting it.

Three of the four gloveboxes don't even lock. And then there is the GPS and helmet that I leave on my seat while I use the bathroom in a gas station.

I now have added micro switches to all four glove boxes and wired them to my GForce alarm. I no longer have to worry about leaving valuables in the glove boxes (like Ipod, cell phone, etc.). I also am working on a GPS interlock that will set off the alarm if the GPS is removed.

This means I can now leave all my stuff on the bike and go eat lunch in a resturant without having to take it all off and lock it in the trunk. And the motion detector and warn away feature works well. I used the system today when I stopped to eat lunch in Hico Texas. Someone tried to park real close to the bike, (why do they always do that?) and when the passenger swung open the door, the warn away activated. The passenger did not swing the door open all the way as a result. I watched all this from inside the resturaunt. This could potentially save a saddlebag from a door strike. It also keeps kids away from the bike and gives me general piece of mind so I can enjoy my lunch.

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
valuables

While I am at it, let me just quickly add up the items I carry with me when I travel and their value so you can see why I need an alarm.

GPS--------------------------------------$450
Ipod--------------------------------------$400
2 Full Face Arai helmets----------------$980
Digital camera---------------------------$450
cell phone--------------------------------$150
V1 Radar detector-----------------------$400
Kenwood FRS radios----------------------$80
Ray Ban/Mai Jim sunglasses------------$230
Grand total of easily stolen items:---$3,140

And I won't even count all my tools I carry and all the other miscellaneous stuff in the trunk and saddlebags. Sometimes it just isn't practical to disconnect all the stuff and lock it in the trunk just because I want to stop and buy a coke and use the john.

Add up your own and you will see why an alarm is not such a bad idea.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I was looking at all the MC alarms and decided to put a car alarm with remote entry circuits in.. DEI Rattler Model 310d from Circuit City $107
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8867&qp=0094937644101&oid=83461

A lot of wiring surgery to the factory remote receiver harness, but the results are wonderful :) Fits in the trunk where the factory remote receiver was and I retained full remote fuctionallity and a much smaller remote.. Definatly not a plug & play install, but I enjoy tinkering... Looking at all the required wiring I'm surprised that Honda didn't make a couple of REALLY minor changes to make a factory alarm.. Almost every wire connected was located on the original remote receiver.

Shock sensor goes off in WARNING mode when kicked lightly or FULL ALARM mode when the center stand pops up, ignition gets turned on or when the trunk/saddle bags are opened. There are a lot of inputs and outputs for the rattler and I'm sure there are other things that can be done.

I'm considering adding on a perimeter sensor.. Do any of you find that perimeter alarms go off when folks are just admiring your ride?? :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Alarms (use a car alarm, bike alarms lack function on 1800s)

I have not found a bike alarm that I like. On this bike, a bike alarm is very lacking in that it has no clue about “open doors” or bags and trunk in this case, power locks, and trunk release. The only way to get this is to buy a car alarm that works with stock remote entry or replace the stock remote receiver with the alarm. I have issues with the stock remote and opted to replace it with the alarm. My mistake was my alarm choice being one of the worst made. I will be getting a Clifford in the near future. I also identified all of the wires from the stock remote (like Dave above) and only ran the missing wires for engine kill, siren, LED, and override switch in its desired secure location.

Dave, I hope that your Rattler is a 1,000 times better than Bulldog! I have had to do a hard reset about 15 times to get it to work again, sent it in for repair once, had the siren break off from its mount, and finally determined that it was a waste to try to continue its use and put the stock unit back in until I get a Clifford. I did not cut any wires, only removed them from the plug housing, so inserting them back left no trace of a defunct alarm. I have only heard good things about Clifford and very little about any other brand. My favorite two that I am considering are Concept 450 or Matrix 3.

Let me know if you would like the wire diagram, color code, and function of the wires for the stock remote receiver….. nospamddl (at) yahoo…..

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
Check out my evaluation of the G Force

I just finished an full (5 page) evaluation of the G Force. It can monitor saddle bags, trunk and also the lock/unlock controller. I even added micro switches to my gloveboxes to monitor them.

http://forums.gl1800riders.com/viewtopic.php?t=4663

I am real happy with it. Works wonderfully, and has a pager and perimeter sensor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
DDL or Dave... would really appreciate the color code and function of the factory harness for remote unit. In the past I've used two automotive units in GL1200's and planned to do the same on the 1800, but adding on another receiver just didn't make sense to me. Never thought of REPLACING the OEM receiver.

My main concern isn't theft of the Wing, but more along the lines of Fred... securing all the nooks and crannies. My 1200 had magnetic sensors or microswitches on just about every door, lid, and sidecover. Just want to discourage those who would think to mess with it!

Eric

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
Magnetic Reed Switches

I have been looking for some magnetic reed switches to replace all my micro switches on my gloveboxes, (as I think they are more reliable).

I think I have found a good source that should have one that will fit any of the doors you want to protect.

http://reedswitchdevelopments.com/

It is also worth noting that the GL1800 wire harness for the G Force alarm already includes saddlebag monitoring. Add one wire and a diode and it also will protect the trunk. Also, if you lock or unlock the saddlebags with the key fob while the system is armed, it will trigger an alarm. For a plug and play installation, it does a nice job of intergrating into the GL1800's electrical system.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Fred, I just made a post on the other board and your post on this board answered my question - why worry about the glovebox and trunk not being monitored? As much as you have in them I'd want them monitored also.

I do like the idea of the perimeter guard - a LOT!! No more worry about helmet left on seat, etc. I do that all the time and one of these days I'm gonna get hooked!!

Thanks for all the good posts to all.

Ken

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Eric,
Here's the wiring I have written down.. I'll document further if needed

On the Wing the Remote receiver contains the following:
+12vdc - Red/Yellow
+12vdc Ignition - Lt Green/Black
Ground - Green

Locks - Red and Yellow wires (Rattler type "C" Polarity reversing)
Red+ Yellow - = Unlock
Yellow+ Red - = lock

Trunk Release - Blue (Positive pulse to release)
Wired from Ratttler with relay to channel "2"

Flash Turn Signals - Pink/White (Positive pulse to light)

Trunk/Saddlebag Switches - Brown/Red

Horn - Pink (didn't use)

I really wanted to use the sidestand dashboard LED "S" for the alarm 'ARMED" indicator but haven't figured a way to do it without disassembling the entire dash or designing a little interface circuit :roll:. There's also stuff that can be done with the sidestand switch.. I have yet to connect the ignition cutoff, but I'm assuming if you break the kill circuit, it also kills the ignition power (there's a reason why this is bad but I'm having a case of CRS :eek:4:)
I really like the little switches for the gloveboxes, will definately be doing that!

Douglas,
Damn, I didn't even think to pull the connectors out of the factory plug, that would've made the install SOOOO much cleaner (but I wouldn't have had an excuse to solder :p )... Sorry to hear you had issues with the Bulldog. As far as the Rattler performance, I've yet to have a false alarm.. But again I don't have it set to go off unless bags are opened, ignition is turned on, the bike is hit or the centerstand pops up! It's been quite functional... I especially love the tiny remote!! The other nice thing is that it tells you (when you arm it) that a bag or switch is open.

What do the motorcycle specific alarms do when the perimeter alarm is triggered??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts