GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading around, still, and am not to sure about this.
Does the noted model have an audible alarm system with a remote or is that an after market necessity?

·
Registered
364 Posts
No alarm is included, get an after market system if you need one.
Don't thief only steal V-twins (for parts only since they break down very frequently! sarcastic) and super fast sport-bike ?!? :oops:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I would love to put an alarm on mine, but "bike alarms" suck. I really do not want two key fobs either. I could live without trunk release (like my 2010 has with its Clifford car alarm also with remote helmet release); but I want it to disable the bike's key-less system when armed and trip whenever anything gets opened. The "anything gets opened" part is easy since I have everything wired with lights that come on when each area is opened. It is everything else that is the hard part.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
No alarm is included, get an after market system if you need one.
Don't thief only steal V-twins (for parts only since they break down very frequently! sarcastic) and super fast sport-bike ?!? :oops:
Just park next to HD’s, Indian’s and the like, and no one will ever notice your bike. Heck you could leave your wallet on the seat and they wouldn’t even see it. Maybe...;)

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Just sayin'
When is the last time you've heard of someone having their Goldwing stolen?
Been riding for over 45-years and had 5-Goldwings dating back to my 1986 GL1200 and never heard of a Wing being stolen.
I never even use the steering lock....

I had the OEM system on my BMW K1600 and hated it, I set the damn thing off so many times in the garage, scaring the crap out of me.........
my wife would hear it in the house and just laugh. :rolleyes:

I don't sweat it, if in the rare case it happens I'll use my insurance and get a new bike.
JMHO...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I doubt they would steal the bike. I put the cheapie alarm on to warn away punks who might want to lift my Zumo 595 or my radar detector, or stainless mug, etc while stopped for lunch or gas. Everything comes off when it's parked for the night!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I doubt they would steal the bike. I put the cheapie alarm on to warn away punks who might want to lift my Zumo 595 or my radar detector, or stainless mug, etc while stopped for lunch or gas. Everything comes off when it's parked for the night!
My thoughts exactly. Something to make curious kids run away. :p

·
Registered
70 Posts
Scorpio makes nice motorcycle alarms. I've owned many bikes with those installed. I wasn't much worried about someone stealing the bikes, but stealing stuff mounted on the bikes when I left them parked. The Scorpio alarms have a perimeter sensor which detects movement close to the bike. The Scorpio also arms and disarms automatically when the alarm senses the 2 way fob is close to the bike.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The other obvious reason Goldwing are not first choice for thief: they need to wait for the GW owners to stop riding and park ... while they can just go to any bar and there are a number of V-twins parked outside for hours...in particular when the weather is nice and warm o_O

·
Registered
195 Posts
Vehicle alarms go off so frequently no one pays attention to them anymore although I could see them scaring the petty thief away.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Bike alarms will not let you tie in "something was just opened" trigger, and that is one of the major reasons I want an alarm. All of the "everything in a single box, and nothing to wire up" alarms are so bloody easy to defeat in so little time. Find the box making noise, get rid of it and you are golden. There is a certain amount of time for an alarm making noise that is "everyone ignores it" time and if it stops making noise in that amount of time, the bike and everything on it is now "yours" to take however you want to take it. Car alarms are more difficult to get to components and provide you with "something was just opened" triggers to scare away those that empty everything not locked. There have been too many times I have ended up hearing complaints at various rally events where many Goldwings were picked clean over night. The first alarm triggered by "something was just opened" would put a quick end to how far anyone gets in how many bikes they pick clean. And the bike making noise loses little to nothing. The 3 un-lockable pockets on my 2010 are tied to the alarm and it starts chirping as soon as you open something that quickly goes to full on alarm. I can sleep nicely at the worst looking flea-bag motel next door to "homeless village" in downtown mega-metropolis because of that alarm. I don't sleep so well in half as high of theft risk without the alarm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts