GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot has been talked about Alaska as the trip all to be....so here is the question for those who have had the opportunity...

I am going to Alaska in 2012...most likely in Mid June....

So...Does one recommend an all Land Travel Trip...or should one take (on the return Trip) the 3-4 day Ferry ride from Anchorage AK back to the States....is there enough to do on the ferry....what are the chances the ferry sails in fog...

Anyone out there take the ferry...?

Looking for recommendations...have not been to the west coast nor Alaska...need to conquer that next year...

Thanks For The Input...

Safe Rides

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I took the ferry from Haines, AK to Prince Rupert, BC on the way back. Understand that by that time I was on the road for quite awhile (from Maine) and enjoyed the rest (and bar) that the ferry provided. I don't think I would do it on the way TO Alaska, but on the way back it worked out fine.

Note that I did not purchase an inside cabin before departure, but instead bought one after we were underway (at a considerable discount). Just find the Purser and explain that you have cash and are looking for a cabin.

If you don't want a cabin, plan on pitching your tent and sleeping on the deck. After about 10,000 miles I said screw that, and bought a cabin for a very reasonable price once underway.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I've done it both ways. You can ride to Prince Rupert and take the ferry to Haines, then it's only another day to get into AK. Well, actually Haines is in AK but the road takes you right back into Canada until you reach the Tok crossing. The most scenic parts of the Alcan are in BC anyway in my opinion.

The ferry is a smooth ride up the inside passage. Lots of scenery, whales, eagles, log rafts, etc.

Of course riding the whole Alcan does give you certain bragging rights and there are some beautiful lakes and scenery along the way too. If I had the cash, I'd ride the ferry.

Whoa, just reread your post. Sounds like you plan to ride up for sure. I would definately take the ferry back in that case. Might think about catching it out of Valdez. Really pretty road from Glenallen to the Valdez terminal.

Can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but my plan is to ride up, with the sun at my back, and take the ferry back. Two trips in one.

·
Registered
825 Posts
LabRider,
I don't think you can take the Ferry from Anchorage. The furthest north port was Skagway last I checked. If that's changed, somebody let me know... I'd take the ferry further north if I could.

Even the cruise ships only go as far as Seward..but you can take a nice train trip from Anchorage to Seward.

The 4 day trip is correct, but it's 4 days from Skagway to Bellingham, WA.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
have done it a couple of times and always include a ferry ride. We like to break up our trip, so we usually try to do the ferry ride one way and put it in the middle of the trip. Last time we chose a ferry trip that left in the late evening (from Skagway I think)and ended up in Bellingham in the am. (2-3 days later, at that time non-stop. Each stop will add a half day to the trip.) We saved a couple of nights lodging on land and sprung for a nice berth. The ferries are nice. You will not be entertained, but it is very relaxing and it is good to have a couple of days off the bike. (we do 600miles days consistently) take a good book, an ipad with angry birds or... whatever you do to relax. Very well worth the mooney IMHO. I would take the Prince Rupert or even the Bellingham ferry and tag on an extra couple of days riding south on the coast to the Avenue of the Giants/ Crater Lake, etc. wherever you go, it will be good. :thumbup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have taken the ferry several times both ways. I used to live in Anchorage and Eagle River. The BEST route for me was catching the ferry in Bellingham, WA and taking it all the way to Haines Junction. From there you can make it a 2 day ride into Anchorage by stopping in Tok, AK for the night. At certain times of the year, the ferry would also go up past Haines to Seward, AK which is just south of AK by about 4 hours or so. I guess it all depends on where you are going in AK. The BIGGEST threats are riding through Canada (weapons, customs, etc) and wild life on the road.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Nope, the ferry doesn't go from Anchorage. Best you can do is take it to Haines or Skagway. The ride from Skagway to Whitehorse is spectacular!

I always recommend riding one way and taking the ferry the other, with the nod going to riding up and doing the ferry thing for the return. Taking the ferry from or to Bellingham is fine, but costs twice as much and you lose out on some great riding through BC.

We just finished driving an RV up to Alaska to leave it there for our daughter and son-in-law & grandkids to use, and I found the highway to be in pretty fair condition right now. They are doing some chip seal patching in places, but that's no big deal. We only ran into one graveled section and that was packed and only about half a mile long. North of Burwash Landing at the upper end of Kluane Lake the road is actually pretty good. Last year it went down in my book as the worst road I ever drove on, based on the frost heaves, torn pavement, large pot holes and all. The worst part of the road was on Hwy 97 south of Chetwynd, BC, where they are repairing several miles of the road that was heavily damaged from rain and flooding. It was a bit messy.

Gas in Canada along the way ranged from $1.199 to $1.559 a liter. Not cheap!
This time of the year, a lot of the places along the highway are closing down for the season, so it's a good policy not to pass by anyplace gas is sold.

The road all the way to Anchorage was in good shape. Hope this helps.

Oh, and the reason I recommend the ferry is because it gives you a completely different perspective of Alaska. Besides, after all that ridng, it makes for a nice, relaxing time before hitting the road again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts