GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
September's edition of the Wing World magazine has an excellent article by Dennis Bible on the 2012 Region J Rally scheduled for 20-22 July, 2012. This is the one I'm planning on riding to and want to give all those who dare a chance to start planning, saving and scheming to get there. No excuses! Alaska or Bust!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alaska or Bust, 2012

The dates for the Rally are 20-22 July, 2012. My plan is to depart the Atlanta area somewhere around the 12th or 13th and get over to Montana and cross over north of Great Falls and make my way up through Jasper National Forest. I've decided not to take a trailer. I'll have my cooler rack, my back seat bag and the luggage rack bag. That ought to do it. I'm open for comments, opinions and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The dates for the Rally are 20-22 July, 2012. My plan is to depart the Atlanta area somewhere around the 12th or 13th and get over to Montana and cross over north of Great Falls and make my way up through Jasper National Forest. I've decided not to take a trailer. I'll have my cooler rack, my back seat bag and the luggage rack bag. That ought to do it. I'm open for comments, opinions and suggestions.
How long for total trip? When is your return date?

·
Registered
109 Posts
September's edition of the Wing World magazine has an excellent article by Dennis Bible on the 2012 Region J Rally scheduled for 20-22 July, 2012. This is the one I'm planning on riding to and want to give all those who dare a chance to start planning, saving and scheming to get there. No excuses! Alaska or Bust!
Sounds good!! how many days for total trip:excited:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alaska in 2012

I'm planning on taking 30 days the entire journey. I want to shoot down to California and ride the PCH and visit family on the way back and then start heading back west. There is no way I'll have the opportunity to do all that I'd like to do but I'll just do whatever I can.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I meant head back east.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I took the trip to Deadhorse in June. If you never been there, go when you get the chance. Be warned, it is not a cheap trip. Fuel in some places was $1.52 a liter, or $6.00 a gallon. I was on my BMW GSA, I left the St.Louis area on June 3 and was back 14 days and $3000. later. I camped 8 nights, and motel the rest.

If you are close to Fairbanks traveling by motorcycle you can stay at a dorm room at the University in Fairbanks for $40. a night. Most lodging in Alaska will cost four times that.

If you ride the Alcan from Dawson Creek if you see a gas stop GET FUEL. If you have more than 50 miles on a tank get fuel. Fuel is not a problem, but you have to stop more.

Best advice I received.. Make two piles, one with the stuff you think you need, the other the money you think you need. Cut pile one in half, and double the second.:thumbup:

I hope to return soon, what a great place, Smitty :coffee1:

·
Registered
657 Posts
I took the trip to Deadhorse in June. If you never been there, go when you get the chance. Be warned, it is not a cheap trip. Fuel in some places was $1.52 a liter, or $6.00 a gallon. I was on my BMW GSA, I left the St.Louis area on June 3 and was back 14 days and $3000. later. I camped 8 nights, and motel the rest.

If you are close to Fairbanks traveling by motorcycle you can stay at a dorm room at the University in Fairbanks for $40. a night. Most lodging in Alaska will cost four times that.

If you ride the Alcan from Dawson Creek if you see a gas stop GET FUEL. If you have more than 50 miles on a tank get fuel. Fuel is not a problem, but you have to stop more.

Best advice I received.. Make to piles, one with the stuff you think you need, the other the money you think you need. Cut pile one in half, and double the second.:thumbup:

I hope to return soon, what a great place, Smitty :coffee1:
Thanks for the advice.I guess it's time to start saving.

Barry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts