GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alaska trip…

I would like to go on a trip up to Alaska sometime, maybe not this summer as its near over when it comes to going there. And here in Canada on the west coast at least, this summer was the summer that never was…raining a lot, and cooler then the norm and all that stuff.

I have once been very close to making it, however I was riding alone the whole way ( not a good idea ) …and just some 400 or so Km’s shy of making it I turned back. Road was a mess of pot holes and so on. And thought…if I break down out here…in the middle of nowhere and night comes…and no one came along…I am going to be bear food before morning. I did that trip some 5 years ago and it was on a Honda Shadow Aero. Now I have a GL1800 but still out of safety and all that stuff, I would like to go with someone else, or group just not take it on alone….its the safety factory I am thinking of.

Just wondering how many of you have done a ride to Alaska. I do not remember much of mine, other then it was very remote in area and worrying about where I can get gas was my number one thought.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ride to Alaska

I'm planning on leaving next July, 2012 enroute to Anchorage for the Region J Rally and you're more than welcome to tag along.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Alaska

I'm leaving next June for the Region J Rally. Plan on going up through Lethbridge, Jasper, Dawson City then on to Anchorage. Trying to get IBA Nat Parks Gold on this ride.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Took the trip all the way from Alabama to the Arctic circle in '06 while pulling an Aspen Camper.

The road conditions were great except for the few construction sites. Go WAY slow on them watching for newly graded gravel or newly dumped gravel. DAMHIK...

Smooth roads. Great people. Never too far from services. Always some RV going by to help if needed.

Go for it. It will be the best trip you ever take!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Alaskan tour is on my bucket list and I would love to do it in 2012, but for several reasons would like to do it with another rider or two. I guess the older you get the wiser most of us get LOL.

Fred

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
OK Fred, let's go! I just mentioned to the wife (I spell that BOSS) we should go to Alaska again and do it next year. BTW, are you going to Rockies Gold this year?

Bash.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am planning a ride first 3 weeks of August 2012. I at present will be riding with one or two others. Be glad for you to meet up with us.you would be an asset since you are from that region. Send private message if you would be interested and to learn more about us complete strangers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts