1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
You do know that train doesn't stop at Hayden don't you?:lol:

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Can't help with the motel thing, we stayed aboard ship...at the end of the block.

But the White pass RR is an awesome ride.

Just incredible scenery everywhere you look.

Don't forget to go to the cemetery and pay your respects to "Soapy Smith" a notorious scoundrel that took advantage of miners in mining camps from Colorado to Alaska.
He was gunned down in the streets of Skagway.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
We stayed at Sargent Preston's Lodge in 2007 and had a good experience. It's nothing fancy but it was clean and comfortable and a reasonable value for the area. The manager also seemed to be cognizant of a motorcyclist's needs.

The road from Skagway to Whitehorse is awesome, one of the best of the continent, especially if you're lucky enough to get a sunny day.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't help with the motel thing, we stayed aboard ship...at the end of the block.

But the White pass RR is an awesome ride.

Just incredible scenery everywhere you look.

Don't forget to go to the cemetery and pay your respects to "Soapy Smith" a notorious scoundrel that took advantage of miners in mining camps from Colorado to Alaska.
He was gunned down in the streets of Skagway.
Which one of the train rides do you think is the best. I guess I am asking if you could only do one of the train tours...what would it be?

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
We did the "Summit Excursion" when we went, so I could not speak to the other trips available.
But that one was awesome, we had sunny days the entire time so we saw a vast amount of incredible country.
And yes, that road out of Skagway looks like a great one to ride.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I hope to go to Alaska next year or the year after,,,,, but I don't want to get a passport,, and I don't want to go through Canada (Not meaning to offend any of our Canadian brothers/sisters,, but have had bad experiences there). Is there a ferry boat that can take me out of Washington State??? Just curious as I'm not in the planning stage yet,,, but want to get an idea.... Al :yes::yes::yes: a "seasoned member",, proof is to the left of this post.....

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Alaskan Marine Highway System

This is how we hope to go up in the next year or two. We want to ride one way at least to see Canada though.

Of course I don't have any outstanding warrants there either !!!

Here's another link to Beastie's trip to Alaska with links to his photos

I believe they went on the ferry either one or both ways.

Beastie's Alaska Trip

This is something alot of us have talked about at one point or another, it's just a matter of pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wow,, podo,, thank you,,, I've bookmarked that bad boy and will use it in the future,,,, again thank you...... By the way,,, is that an Air Force missle badge in your signature???? Just curious because I did two years at Whiteman AFB in beautiful down town "Knob Knoster, MO" with 150 MinuteMan II Missles assigned..... Just wondering Al :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I hope to go to Alaska next year or the year after,,,,, but I don't want to get a passport,, and I don't want to go through Canada (Not meaning to offend any of our Canadian brothers/sisters,, but have had bad experiences there). Is there a ferry boat that can take me out of Washington State??? Just curious as I'm not in the planning stage yet,,, but want to get an idea.... Al :yes::yes::yes: a "seasoned member",, proof is to the left of this post.....
IMO, Canada is sorta like the "North Vs South" in the USA. Western Canada is like being in a different country compared to Eastern Canada. If you trouble was in the Eastern part, you'll being missing a real treat by not traveling through the Western part.

·
Registered
261 Posts
IMO, Canada is sorta like the "North Vs South" in the USA. Western Canada is like being in a different country compared to Eastern Canada. If you trouble was in the Eastern part, you'll being missing a real treat by not traveling through the Western part.
O.K.,,, that's interesting because my,,, and my brother's problems were in Eastern Canada with our fishing trips for walleye.... I'll now consider getting a passport and making the trip through Canada,,, but no promises,,,, I'll consider it...... Sell me.... Give me some websites to visit to give me an idea of what I'll be missing..... Thank you for your response,,, Always appreciated on this board... Al :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
we went to Alaska in 2007

rode out to Montana and up through Glacier park, took the Icefields parkway up to Jasper then over to the Alaska hwy

the majority of our 10,000 mile trip was in Canada and we never had any trouble, the scenery was fantastic, the folks were great, in my opinion do whatever you want but missing Canada would be a mistake

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
O.K.,,, that's interesting because my,,, and my brother's problems were in Eastern Canada with our fishing trips for walleye.... I'll now consider getting a passport and making the trip through Canada,,, but no promises,,,, I'll consider it...... Sell me.... Give me some websites to visit to give me an idea of what I'll be missing..... Thank you for your response,,, Always appreciated on this board... Al :yes::yes::yes:

Just google Ice Fields Parkway and start from there. Stay West of the Calgary and Edmonton area. We went in through the Northern tip of Idaho in the Lake Katooney area and took some short ferry rides across a couple of lakes and ended up in Revelstroke. Rode up through the Ice Fields to Jasper, then took the Big Horn to Dawson Creek and went up the Alcan to AK. We didn't have a single bad experience in Canada. The roads were great and every single person we met made us feel welcome. The first thing the locals would do was to look at the license plate to see where we were from and then the question would start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts