GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip to Alaska in 2 rs. Dont laugh. I have 3 weeks requested off but I can only take the last 3 weeks of August off. How is weather during this time and I hear horror stories that many turn around because of long stretches of muddy and gravel roads. Is this a major issue or can you usually make it. Is it feasible to pull a trailer, any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I am planning a trip to Alaska in 2 rs. Dont laugh. I have 3 weeks requested off but I can only take the last 3 weeks of August off. How is weather during this time and I hear horror stories that many turn around because of long stretches of muddy and gravel roads. Is this a major issue or can you usually make it. Is it feasible to pull a trailer, any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.
Here is a good read..on alaska.

http://11000milesin22days-alaska2008.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-1.html

·
Banned
226 Posts
Paved all the way to Fairbanks unless your going up the haul road. If you do that then you may be in the company of a few ice road truckers. Its late in the year and its going to start getting cooool. The best time to go is 1st week in July but august is doable. Dress warm. summer in Alaska is June, July and August. With June being spring and August being Fall.The rest is winter. I lived in Kenai for 17 year and have done the trip 12 times RT from San Francisco to Anchorage. Its a Lonnng and beautiful trip, I could never get tired of it. Good luck ! :yes1:

·
Registered
86 Posts
after seeing 40 augusts and all they offer weather wise i would not come up here the last 3 weeks in august. sure it can be done, just by far not the best time to have a nice visit to alaska on a motorcycle. mc traffic takes a real dive here in august for a reason, locals and visitors included. can you make it ? yes you can.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Can't speak for August but my Wife and I just got back from a 3 week trip to Alaska. The closest thing to a road horror story was riding from Chicken to the border to Dawson City. We were told that there was 30 miles of gravel from Chicken to the border then good pavement the rest of the way to Dawson City. Turned out to be about 100 miles of gravel. Not fun. Leanne doesn't like riding in gravel,(who does) but she handled her wing just fine. It was time to quit for the day after that.
Gas was no problem. We got a 2011 copy of milepost and planned our gas stops in advance.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Alaska Trip

We did the trip in 2009, all of July and 1st week of August. We were lucky and had great weather. We pulled a Kwik Kamp camper with our Ultra Classic. We now have a Honda GL1800 CSC trike. and a Bunkhouse camper. Our friends did it with us, they were on a GL1800 Roadsmith trike, pulling a Bunkhouse Camper. They also did it once before with a Harley Heritage Softail pulling an Escapade Trailer. We did not have any problems pulling the trailers, I will admit my Classic was working a lot harder then his Wing. We were both 2 up and fully packed, so if your better half is going with you, then you know what fully packed means.. Anyway the worst road we were on was the Top of the World Highway. Dawson,YT. to Chicken, AK. about 130 miles of gravel, and some parts wind and rain. The Alaska-Canadian Highway, (ALCAN) will be both paved and gravel due to construction from the previous winter and in preparation of the coming winter. If you plan accordingly, and get the latest issue of Milepost you should be good to go. Just be prepared for all kinds of weather and enjoy the trip.

We are going again in 2014.

Joe W.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You won't have any problems with a trailer, just watch out for the rough places.
Two things I consider an absolute necessity is, Gerbings and frogg toggs.
Hope you have a good trip, I know you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice. I will use it and I am open to more advice and suggestions. Thanks again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
alcan update

Just drove a cage up the highway from I-5. BY FAR the worst road is from Destruction Bay to the US border. I've driven the Alcan the past three years towing my Kompact Kamp with no problems caused by the roads. Late August will be cool, but you're more likely to get colder weather in Northern Canada going over the Rockies. You will experience the start of the roadside lodges shutting down for the winter, however gas won't be a problem. Most towns on the Alcan are from 100 to 150 miles apart. It's a great ride!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts