GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaving Illinois on May 25 heading to Alaska. Should be getting there around 1st of June. Just wondering what kind of spring you been having there. I know alot can change by then and it probably will daily when we are there but just curious what the weather trend has been this year. Thanks Doug

·
Registered
598 Posts
I am leaving Illinois on May 25 heading to Alaska. Should be getting there around 1st of June. Just wondering what kind of spring you been having there. I know alot can change by then and it probably will daily when we are there but just curious what the weather trend has been this year. Thanks Doug
Spring? Is it spring? Sure wouldn't know it from the weather. :cry: Here in Slana we got over 18" of heavy, wet snow on Saturday and Sunday, after 6" on Thursday. Grader operator worked Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to keep local roads passable. Maybe it will change, but so far it has been colder than normal all over the state. Dress for cool weather, keep rain gear handy, and accept hot weather if it comes. Most generally, you will get a sample of every variety of weather on a trip to Alaska.

I'll be a few days behind you. With a bike parked in Pennsylvania, I'm flying down May 20 to get it and head back home, by way of Key West. It will be hot and humid down there, and it wouldn't surprise me to hit snow somewhere in northern B.C. or the Yukon, then hot around Whitehorse, and snow if I decide to run on up to Prudhoe Bay. We don't get boring weather up here. :lol:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Weather

We left for Alaska June 8th. Crossed the border in Montana on my 72 birthday June 10th. We entered Alaska 4 days later through the YT. We spent 16 days in Alaska and never had our rain gear on. The temps were 50 to 60 degrees. The warmest day was the day we rode the Haul road to the Artic Circle. It was 71 degrees at the Artic Circle Sign. We were very lucky with the weather. June only gets 1 inch of rain on the average. It never really gets dark. We are planning on going back next summer, What really made the trip for me was doing it with my son BGBLK06. it can't get any better that that. Good luck. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Here in Palmer, it has yet to get spring like too. The snow from Saturday did just finally melt off except for the 3 foot mound in my backyard. Its been close to freezing overnight but in the mid to high 40s during the day. I am sure at higher elevations it will be a bit chillier but hey, you're on a GW.

Dress warm, ride safe and don't forget that passport. Canada will take issue without it and you'll have to take the long way around. :lol:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Akldrider: taking a short little jaunt I see!!
Sort of a medium-length ride. Long ones are when I go 12,000 to 18,000 in six weeks or so. Got too much work to do up here this year. But... I may do a few short rides around home this summer. Like up the Dempster to Inuvik, after the ride over to Dawson City for D2D... which is after I get back from the South 48. Hmmm... I might actually get some decent riding in this summer. :lol:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We left for Alaska June 8th. Crossed the border in Montana on my 72 birthday June 10th. We entered Alaska 4 days later through the YT. We spent 16 days in Alaska and never had our rain gear on. The temps were 50 to 60 degrees. The warmest day was the day we rode the Haul road to the Artic Circle. It was 71 degrees at the Artic Circle Sign. We were very lucky with the weather. June only gets 1 inch of rain on the average. It never really gets dark. We are planning on going back next summer, What really made the trip for me was doing it with my son BGBLK06. it can't get any better that that. Good luck. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry
It would be great to hit weather like you had but I'm not holding my breath on that. We have good warm and water proof clothes so not to worried about it. It will be nice to have some sunshine but it's going to be a good trip no matter what.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here in Palmer, it has yet to get spring like too. The snow from Saturday did just finally melt off except for the 3 foot mound in my backyard. Its been close to freezing overnight but in the mid to high 40s during the day. I am sure at higher elevations it will be a bit chillier but hey, you're on a GW.

Dress warm, ride safe and don't forget that passport. Canada will take issue without it and you'll have to take the long way around. :lol:
We are going to Fairbanks and the arctic circle first then to my brother in law's house for a couple days in Talkettna. We will be coming your way after that. May take a trip to Seward to see that area just have to wait and see. Maybe we can hook up and take a little ride together. Thanks for the info on the area. Doug

·
Registered
65 Posts
Alask Trip

We are going to Fairbanks and the arctic circle first then to my brother in law's house for a couple days in Talkettna. We will be coming your way after that. May take a trip to Seward to see that area just have to wait and see. Maybe we can hook up and take a little ride together. Thanks for the info on the area. Doug
----------------

My wife and I are leaving Chattanooga Tennessee on Saturday May18 headed for Alaska. We are going the long way around by way od Texas, then up to Las Vegas for a day of rest (grin) then on up to Seattle then cross over into Canada just North of Bellington Wa. then on up to Firbanks and kick around then around to Anchorage, looping back around and then south to Great Falls Montana, the work our way back south. Looking at the weather at fairbanks for around the 25th, well lets just say it's not coperating thus far. But looking forward to it any way...

:luck:
:biker::cop2:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
----------------

My wife and I are leaving Chattanooga Tennessee on Saturday May18 headed for Alaska. We are going the long way around by way od Texas, then up to Las Vegas for a day of rest (grin) then on up to Seattle then cross over into Canada just North of Bellington Wa. then on up to Firbanks and kick around then around to Anchorage, looping back around and then south to Great Falls Montana, the work our way back south. Looking at the weather at fairbanks for around the 25th, well lets just say it's not coperating thus far. But looking forward to it any way...

:luck:
:biker::cop2:
If they forecast weather there like they do around here I wouldn't put much faith in that being over 2 weeks out. From what I've seen for the next week looks like temps are starting to get to around 60. I'll call my brother in law this weekend to see what he says. Have a nice trip. Doug

·
Registered
598 Posts
----------------

For several years now I have been taking a run up to Prudhoe Bay over Memorial Day weekend. Two and three years ago it was arouind 90° in Fairbanks, and so hot at Wiseman it was difficult to get to sleep. But last year the weather forecasts weren't so great and the decision was made to stay home and work on the house that weekend. Good thing! Atigun Pass was closed by avalanches and truckers coming south reported snowdrifts up to 3' deep well north of the pass.

You just have to be prepared for anything, and be flexible in your planning. Mother Nature likes to play tricks on unwary travelers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts