GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had mine out in the rain (Saturday and Sunday up in Michigan) for the first time. Got rust on the heel and the toe "pads", mostly down in the machined grooves. Just bought the kit March 16, 2011. Sent an email off to Kury customer service this morning, explained my complaint (rusty chrome) and included a picture.

A couple hours later I got a call from them and the rep. tells me they are not chrome, merely polished bare metal! He said that if they were chrome they would scratch and/or wear and soon become unsightly. I, of course, responded that they don't look very good now. When speaking of my problem he referred to it as oxidation, not rust. I suggested that they should have some kind of protection. He said that he could/would replace them, but they would be identical to the ones I installed in March. He suggested that I try buffing/polishing.

Well, I took 'em off the bike, put the buffing wheel on my pedestal grinder, and buffed and polished. Then I polished and buffed. The rust came off, but the oxidation had caused some pitting. I could not polish deep enough to remove the pitting.

I called the rep. back and he is sending a replacement pair of the metal "pads" and I now know that they will immediately need a coat of wax, or a clear coat of some kind to give protection from "oxidation". I stressed to the rep. that they should do something different, make them from stsainless steel or hard chrome them or put rubber pads on them or whatever. I'm guessing that the same problem exists with the shifter with the floor board kit.

They are willing and gracious about dealing with my complaint and he said he was forwarding my suggestions to the design department. Customer service is great, just seems to me that using the correct material to start with would solve the problem. ---O.K.---I'm done.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Krappyawful. Everything I ever put on the bike they made has had issues with pealing or checking. What a waste of money.

Glad I'm over the chrome phase in my life. :thumbup:

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've not had much luck with Kury stuff maintaining much of a finish, regardless of whether or not it was chromed or something else. I'm really interested in their fork brace, but the fact that it is from Kury has my money staying in my wallet right now (I'm aware of the Traxxion one, but it lacks the fork covers :-( UPDATE: It appears as if Traxxion does offer one with fork protectors (http://www.traxxion.com/ForkBraceProtectorsHondaGL1800GoldWing-TraxxionDynamics-1.aspx)).

jason

·
Registered
787 Posts
You can take a trip to the nearest Harley dealership :eek:4: and purchase some rubber shifter pegs to replace the stock Kuryakyn ones if you intend to keep the shifter.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Had Kury on my bikes for a while and not one single problem. :shrug:

·
Registered
224 Posts
$$$$

I've not had much luck with Kury stuff maintaining much of a finish, regardless of whether or not it was chromed or something else. I'm really interested in their fork brace, but the fact that it is from Kury has my money staying in my wallet right now (I'm aware of the Traxxion one, but it lacks the fork covers :-( UPDATE: It appears as if Traxxion does offer one with fork protectors (http://www.traxxion.com/ForkBraceProtectorsHondaGL1800GoldWing-TraxxionDynamics-1.aspx)).

jason

$ 300 for a fork brace!!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
$ 300 for a fork brace!!!
Yes, but it is only 1/3 more than the Kury or Superbrace version :)

The superbrace is a 2 piece, which many say to stay away from. I will admit to not taking as much care of my bike as some. I certainly ride in the rain. I don't wash after every ride (in fact if I wash once a month I'm doing good). Hence my hesitance to go with the Kury... But now we're really changing the subject :)

jason

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've had the same shifter on my 07 for the last 50,000 plus miles and no rust. I had the dealer put it on the day I bought the bike. It fell off 50 miles down the road. Started to shift gears and it just flopped around. I had to put it back on while crossing the river on a ferry. Been doing all my own maintence and repaires since.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do you----

Agreed. I don't ride in the rain. I wipe the bikes down after every ride. Etc,etc.
get home or to your destination if you are on a ride and it starts to rain? Maintaining, wiping down, etc. is something most of us do routinely. However, IMO, this practice is not a viable substitute for a vendor/manufacturer providing a quality product. Why in the world would someone market an item made of raw steel to be installed on a high end vehicle such as the GL1800, knowing that it is subject to "oxidation"?
:wrong:
Seems to me it just does not show much foresight.

My $.02

·
Registered
168 Posts
I might just send mine out to be chromed or nickeled. Won't cost to much.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
this post caught my eye yesterday since i have a kuryakyn h/t shifter also.
went out and looked at it closely this morning.
yep, the main unit is chrome plated, the the shifter pegs are polished stainless steel not "raw steel" as has been posted. Most think stainless steel won't "oxidize" but many of them will depending on how much nickle and other elements have been put into the mixture.

Anyhow, mine's been on my bike for a few years now, and as CJ & others can attest, if my bike gets "washed" more than twice in a year, its a miracle. I average about 15k per year, so it's exposed to the elements. I think you got a 1 in 1000 set of pegs and with Kuryakyn willing to replace them, you're doing fine!

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I have had a heel/toe shifter on my bike since 2004 and its been wet and even in winter salt. Looks like new, works like new. BUT, it is NOT Kuryakyn. Waldo made the good stuff! Damned shame they hijacked his product with lesser knock-offs.

prs

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
this post caught my eye yesterday since i have a kuryakyn h/t shifter also.
went out and looked at it closely this morning.
yep, the main unit is chrome plated, the the shifter pegs are polished stainless steel not "raw steel" as has been posted. Most think stainless steel won't "oxidize" but many of them will depending on how much nickle and other elements have been put into the mixture.

Anyhow, mine's been on my bike for a few years now, and as CJ & others can attest, if my bike gets "washed" more than twice in a year, its a miracle. I average about 15k per year, so it's exposed to the elements. I think you got a 1 in 1000 set of pegs and with Kuryakyn willing to replace them, you're doing fine!
Can't be very high quality stainless steel. I'm curious how you made the determination that it's stainless?!? 303 or 304 stainless will not rust and a magnet will not cling to it, low carbon content. SEE MY PIC. Magnet sticks to it quite easily (and it oxidized). I've polished off the rust in this pic, but some of the pits are still there. The Kury rep. did not say it was stainless, merely steel. If this is stainless, it's got to be about the lowest grade I've ever encountered.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Krappyawful. Everything I ever put on the bike they made has had issues with pealing or checking. What a waste of money.

Glad I'm over the chrome phase in my life. :thumbup:

:agree::agree::agree:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts