GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone else that have installed the new Kuryakyn lower wind deflectors (adjustable)...I got the right side on no problem but am, for some reason, having a helluva time aligning the upper nut clip and bolt on the left side. The nut clip is mounted on a flexible tab which keeps flexing away from me as I try to get a thread started. I have tried so many things to get the holes lined up but am really struggling.

Had to take a note from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" and just step away from it for a moment. If anyone has any ideas or tips/tricks...I am all ears!

Matt

·
Registered
369 Posts
Same problem here. Walked away a few times on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same side? Same bolt??

·
Registered
369 Posts
Same side? Same bolt??

Always the upper bolt. I ended up using an all to line up the hole with the nut then quickly inserting the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same side? Same bolt?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I finally got it done but you're probably not like how i did it. With the help of a borescope camera, and after i drilled a tiny hole in the tab that holds the nut clip, just inboard of the nut clip, I was able to stick the point of one of my pick tools (right angle bend) which allowed me to put downward pressure on the tab so it didn't flex away from me.

Not even sure if the above is a sentence LOL. The camera really helped.

Reactions: NascarGuy

·
Registered
271 Posts
I’ve used dental floss in instances such as this. It’s thin enough to be able to get the screw past it and strong enough to be able to keep the tab from pushing away while inserting the screw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts