GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came through last Friday (June 6th) while I was prepping in the parking lot with about 50 other riders for the Minuteman 1000 rally that was kicking off at 0600 on Saturday (June 7)

Ironically, sponsor of the rally was Max BMW. Luckily, the RT's that were entered were not the new water-cooled ones, otherwise those riders would have been instructed to park their bikes....
Over on the BMW forums there are stories of bikes being pulled from the parking lots of hotels and their riders given replacement rides as the RTs are gathered up and flat bedded back to dealers.
This has to be a huge bummer for USA owners that are often hundreds of miles from a dealer...Hope BMW can get this squared away before the riding season is over...

Munich

BMW has issued an urgent instruction to all owners of 2014 BMW R1200RT owners fitted with the Dynamic ESA electronic suspension system to stop riding their motorcycles with immediate effect.
The problem concerns the rear suspension system and the potential failure of the plunger rod assembly inside. The instruction to stop riding motorcycles only relates to the 2014 model of the RT;
the bike with the updated water-cooled boxer engine that was launched just a few months ago and only those models with the Dynamic ESA suspension option fitted.
A statement from BMW reads: "We regret to inform you that with immediate effect all 2014 R 1200 RT with Dynamic ESA must not be ridden. At this moment, we cannot guarantee that the plunger rod assembly for the rear suspension unit will not fail."

·
Registered
317 Posts
Came through last Friday (June 6th) while I was prepping in the parking lot with about 50 other riders for the Minuteman 1000 rally that was kicking off at 0600 on Saturday (June 7)

Ironically, sponsor of the rally was Max BMW. Luckily, the RT's that were entered were not the new water-cooled ones, otherwise those riders would have been instructed to park their bikes....
Over on the BMW forums there are stories of bikes being pulled from the parking lots of hotels and their riders given replacement rides as the RTs are gathered up and flat bedded back to dealers.
This has to be a huge bummer for USA owners that are often hundreds of miles from a dealer...Hope BMW can get this squared away before the riding season is over...

If the pick up service was free, it doesn't sound so bad to me. How many other dealers do you know that would come pick up your bike and deliver a replacement to your hotel? I bet they will also deliver on the return as well.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Ouch...painful stuff for the owners at the moment but BMW will make it right.

In my opinion, that bike WILL be one of the best ever RT's, but sometimes you have growing pains on a new model that suck a lot at the time.

I seem to remember a few significant issues on the first year GL1800 that were pretty inconvenient to those owners as well but it ended up being an awesome bike overall and I believe this RT will as well.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the pick up service was free, it doesn't sound so bad to me. How many other dealers do you know that would come pick up your bike and deliver a replacement to your hotel?
Understand that this action requires every single 2014 R1200RT manufactured w/electronic suspension (over 8,000 of them) to be parked. Maybe a couple of dozen riders will get replacement bikes (not R1200RTs obviously, since they are grounded)...the other thousands of riders? They are SOL....

My educated guess is that for the thousands of riders that have paid 23K for a bike they can't ride this does indeed sound bad...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Parked

Understand that this action requires every single 2014 R1200RT manufactured w/electronic suspension (over 8,000 of them) to be parked. Maybe a couple of dozen riders will get replacement bikes (not R1200RTs obviously, since they are grounded)...the other thousands of riders? They are SOL....

My educated guess is that for the thousands of riders that have paid 23K for a bike they can't ride this does indeed sound bad...
You know the old saying, ( let the buyer beware ). :cus:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Oh, the price of hi tech.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
It's a bummer that it happened (no pun intended), but if you do some research you'll see that BMW is apparently doing the right thing. Here is what is posted on the BMW forum….

It turns out this affects every ESA RTW built so far, including bikes still in shipment. Bob's BMW told me today me that BMW is offering four options, and that the bikes will be out of commission until September at the earliest. It affects about 8,000 bikes, just under 900 in the U.S. Seems the shock piston can fail, dumping oil directly on the wheel/tire, with catastrophic/fatal results.

The options are that BMW will pay your monthly payments and insurance plus a small amount, or they will assist financially on a quick non-RT trade in, or they will help the dealer with a non-RT loaner bike, or they will make a lump sum cash payment. They have contacted each owner with an special 800 number and will work with each to his/her satisfaction. Seems like they are getting in front of this one.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ouch...painful stuff for the owners at the moment but BMW will make it right.
Thousands of owners certainly hope so. Chatter on the BMW forums indicate that by July (best) or August/September (worst) the bikes should be rolling again. Factory orders have been delayed a couple of months...

Agree that it is the best RT yet, and arguably one of the best touring bikes on the market.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Oh, the price of hi tech.
I really would not call it that hi tech anymore. Adjustable shocks have been available on cars and motorcycles for quite some time now. Frankly, the whole hi-tech concept is getting to be so common I don't worry about it any more. When Goldwing frames were braking at the welds, it was just a quality problem. I think the same can be said for "hi tech" devices now. I'm 61 years old, and in the past couple of years I have bought my first BMW car and BMW motorcycle after years of buying predominantly Japanese vehicles. I freely admit that both BMW's have had quality issues, and BMW does like to introduce new technologies when old technologies and just plain old better quality would be nice.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a bummer that it happened (no pun intended), but if you do some research you'll see that BMW is apparently doing the right thing. Here is what is posted on the BMW forum….
Awesome...But then again they had no choice :)

The lawyers have been circling since Friday the 6th...
"Give me $23,000 for your new motorcycle...."
"Oh, BTW, park it till September since it is unfit to ride"

My educated guess is BMW hopes this gesture will fend off a class-action lawsuit....
In many states (such as Cali, NY) BMW is legally required (due to M/C specific lemon laws) to give customers $$ back or new bikes...

The BMW buyer demographic is littered with educated, wealthy owners that have access (and aren't afraid to use) legal counsel. That fact isn't lost on BMW.....

·
Registered
585 Posts
Come Nov/Dec there may be some near new used RT's available if anyone takes the money or trade option.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
That makes a pretty good case for not buying one of the first of a brand new model with lots of new features.

... and you're begging for a new Goldwing to come out? You make it sound like if a new version with all the features you wanted came out, you'd be at the dealer's door at 4AM waiting to get the first one he uncrated... ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks to class action lawsuits and those lovely personal injury laywers what choice does BMW have? Look at GM's mess, the Firestone tire issue, then there was the Toyota mat issue… As far as I know the body count is still at zero on the 2014 BMW RT issue.

My 09 BMW RT has had a couple of fuel strips, and there is the cracking fuel pump line issue that just hit, but overall the bike has been great. Now I look at the recalls on my 03 Goldwing, it has the frame recall and brake recalls against it.

-JT

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
is there a car/ mc manufactuor that never had a recall ? its actually a good thing - for us . fix it before we get killed or injured :bow::bow: i remember the pinto - ford new it and still made the car - the $ made on car would by far off set the lawsuits on people going up in flames - nice !!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm liking choice #1.... $2,500 for my troubles. Wonder if I were to run down to Max BMW and purchase one today I could still be eligible for the $2,500 off since they couldn't actually deliver it for a couple of months? :joke:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Another nail in the coffin for BMW.

Most of us who have ridden bikes for quite some time have always known that BMW does have problems. They do have eye appeal, they are quick and fast, but we do know they have some major problems.

Disappointing for sure, as many other products from the Germans are top notch. German engineering for tools and many other items cannot be surpassed.

Just as I personally would never buy a Harley based upon past experience and recently a discussion with a shop manager revealed that even the new bikes have a top life expectancy on average of 80 K before a top end rebuild, so has BMW with all its possible problems put that choice in the never to ever choose category.

Meanwhile Honda keeps going, just like the Energizer Bunny, you cannot kill it. If you do have a rear drive problem or shock problem many economical parts abound, two hours and you are back on the road. At a very decent price I might add.

Let a BMW rear drive go out beyond warranty and you do need mucho money. Also your bike is most likely down for the season, it is not going to happen in a week, more like months.

Harley........not a chance
BMW...........not a chance

Honda.................:thumbup: Brand loyalty is earned not given freely, major problems every couple of years with a brand does not go unnoticed.

Some will counter with transmission problems with the Wing, we all have our own opinions on that one, mine is that lugging the engine and running high gear with low rpm creates the situation. I and others have ran the 1800 in the twisties in third and fourth gears for hours on end with no problems at all. The only time I had one jump out of gear once was ............yes lugging along in fifth gear and opening up the throttle under low rpm. Do that a couple times and bust a tooth and thar ya go...............the start of a serious problem. But that is just my opinion and we all have one. Many days I may never even use fifth gear, unless speed exceeds 60 mph fifth gear just sits there available if the road opens up.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
... and you're begging for a new Goldwing to come out? You make it sound like if a new version with all the features you wanted came out, you'd be at the dealer's door at 4AM waiting to get the first one he uncrated... ;)
Probably more like 5:30am. I have to have my coffee first.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Awesome...But then again they had no choice :)

The lawyers have been circling since Friday the 6th...
"Give me $23,000 for your new motorcycle...."
"Oh, BTW, park it till September since it is unfit to ride"

My educated guess is BMW hopes this gesture will fend off a class-action lawsuit....
In many states (such as Cali, NY) BMW is legally required (due to M/C specific lemon laws) to give customers $$ back or new bikes...

The BMW buyer demographic is littered with educated, wealthy owners that have access (and aren't afraid to use) legal counsel. That fact isn't lost on BMW.....
...unlike the Goldwing demographic...;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts