GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the dreaded wobble pretty bad and was curious if All Balls had fixed the problem for any of you. I have watched Max's video on the Traxxion website and it is very impressive. If the All Balls don't fix my problem, I'll probably go see them. I can't beleive Honda won't fix this problem. I've had the same problem on both Goldwings I've owned.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
How about some information, right out of the showroom? After a new tire?
Or bought a used bike and now? If bike has some miles on it, possible the fork steering bearing could just need to be retorked. Some hope anyway?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should have given some info. Bike has 24,000 miles and I bought it new (2003 model). Tires have about 8,000 miles and the wobble seems to go away when I put new tires on it for about the first 3,000 miles. It always gets progressively worse after 3,000 miles until I finally get sick of it by about now and just change tires. I try to keep my tire pressures monitored.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Get your bearings retorqued, and try a set of Stones.

I have an 07 now, but my 03 developed a wobble when I put a set of the lovely Metzelers on it. Guess what - the all balls didn't cure it. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. Soon as Stones went on - wobble left.

I won't be putting Metzelers on this one, and I'll leave the factory bearings in there, as the bike handles great, and steering input is a ton better than with the all balls.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
mr.b said:
try a set of Stones.

I have an 07 now, but my 03 developed a wobble when I put a set of the lovely Metzelers on it. Guess what - the all balls didn't cure it. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. Soon as Stones went on - wobble left.

I won't be putting Metzelers on this one, and I'll leave the factory bearings in there, as the bike handles great, and steering input is a ton better than with the all balls.
I have the ALL BALL BEARINGS(and they worked for me) and I agree that the turning of the bars feels different and is firmer. But I like the feel better and I like the no wobble. So are you saying you tore down your bike and took the ALL BALLS out? I find this hard to swallow.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
No help, but when the wobble occurs, is the front tire cupping? 40-42 psi is what mine is at. Third tire now has a slight wobble for me, 17,000 miles.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
nacwing; I would check and, if needed, reset the OE bearings. Then I would use a different tire such as the B'stones Mr B mentioned or the Avons. THat failing, the consider other wasy to remedy or cover-up. You would likely love Max's suspension package.

Iaen; Mr B didna say he removed AllBalls; looks like he jacked it up and ran a new one under it. :wink:

prs

·
Chard Member
12,962 Posts
I had All Balls installed in my '06 to correct a out of the crate wobble. I wish I would have done it on my other 1800's. The front end feels much more solid and doesn't jar the shoulders like it did with the OEM head bearings. They feel sluggish at parking lot speed, but after the first tank of fuel I doubt you will notice it.

I agree with the others though. A frt Stone and a good tire gauge is probably all you need. I've had experienced good wear from the OEM Dunlops, but I was anal about keeping the frt aired at 40psi.

FYI.... A tire gauge is no good unless you regularly use it! LOL...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had a wobble since 21000 miles. If I put new tires on it would go away for a few thousand miles, then back.
Go to a point the bike would wobble with my hands on bars or not. Not pleasant to ride. The tires on the bike are Elite 3's with 13,000miles on them. Honda of Leesburg said they could fix it by tightening the bearings. Well $130 later it is worse. Honda now tells me this is normal and all bikes wobble. With 150,000 Wobble free miles on a 1200, 1500 and the first 21000 of this bike I don't think so.
Bike was in to repair some damage and I had All Balls bearings installed.
I DID NOT change the tires , they now have a little over 13,000 miles.
Took the bike to 60 mph on a nice road and took my hand off the bars and let it slow down to 10 MPH. The wobble in completely gone.. So much for Honda and all bikes wobble. Cost for the new bearings $221.00 out the door.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Forgot to say that the All Balls bearings were installed by Trikes by Tony In Invernes, Fl

·
Registered
338 Posts
Red said:
I had All Balls installed in my '06 to correct a out of the crate wobble. I wish I would have done it on my other 1800's. The front end feels much more solid and doesn't jar the shoulders like it did with the OEM head bearings. They feel sluggish at parking lot speed, but after the first tank of fuel I doubt you will notice it.

I agree with the others though. A frt Stone and a good tire gauge is probably all you need. I've had experienced good wear from the OEM Dunlops, but I was anal about keeping the frt aired at 40psi.

FYI.... A tire gauge is no good unless you regularly use it! LOL...
In this thread someone said the All Balls did NOT fix the wobble. I wonder (actually asking for input)
How many people had a wobble and put in All Balls and it did NOT fix the problem (decel wobble)?

I have the dreaded decel wobble. Ready to change tires (Stones). What should the air pressure be front and back?

S

·
0 Posts
I don't know why they call them All Balls as they are really No Balls!
I did mine over a year ago and wobble is gone 100% - tire brands don't make any difference however tread patterns can cause wobble even on a ridged front end if the pattern is bad enough. Also bias ply or radial tires don't seem to matter as long as the tread pattern is light - meaning it does not have the aggressive cross lap like many of the rear tires have. So far my best front tire has been a cheap Barracuda bias ply.
Back to the bearings - once the ball bearings get distorted tightening only makes things worse. Roller bearings seem to be a better approach and as far as the GL goes it is mandatory.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Once again, everyone knows by now that the "wobbles" are caused by planetary motion (currently minus Pluto), the tides, global warming and little pixies sprinkling fairy dust on the road in front of you.

I liked my original set of stones which showed no sign of wobble until the cord was visible so I bought another set straight away. Wobbled right out of the box...

Pixie dust.... gotta be that pixie dust.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Run Stones. This seems to be a better balanced tire. You wont find too many complaints on this forum about wobble with the Stones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts