GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
No point in changing just the upper, the lower always wears first and it also takes the lions share of the load.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
No point in changing just the upper, the lower always wears first and it also takes the lions share of the load.
I agree with the above advice.

I have just gone through the bearing change and I must confess I thought about just doing the top one.
It wasn't that much harder, just took a little more time.
Tapping out the bearing shells was the bit I was dreading. They came out without much fuss at all.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
I'd advise you to buy an extra lower OEM Honda seal that goes under the bottom bearing on the steering stem, and throw away the one in the All Balls kit (it doesn't fit properly). Sometimes you can reuse the old Honda seal if you don't destroy it getting the old race off the stem.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'd advise you to buy an extra lower OEM Honda seal that goes under the bottom bearing on the steering stem, and throw away the one in the All Balls kit (it doesn't fit properly). Sometimes you can reuse the old Honda seal if you don't destroy it getting the old race off the stem.
Getting ready to put on a Traxxion lower tree next week.

Do you have the part number handy?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
My Traxxion lower tree came with the bearing installed. Knocking out the lower race is easy to accomplish because Honda supplies the lower with knock outs. Just tap each alternately with a drift pin or ratchet extension.

>CLICK ME<

Take digital pictures of where all the stuff goes around the forks (throttle cables, brake lines, wires et al). You WILL need them unless you have a photographic memory.

bearingrace.gif
Img_0064.jpg
>VIDEO<

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The Traxxion lower comes with the All Balls bearing already installed. I just installed the Traxxion tree set. The hardest part was pressing/drifting the races back in and then getting the bearings "beded".

Here is the lower tree as received from Traxxion; bearing already installed.

Getting ready to put on a Traxxion lower tree next week.

Do you have the part number handy?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts