GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 20K and a slight 40mph wobble. I am going to tackle the installation of these tappered bearings.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,127 Posts
While you are at it, put in a set of Traxxion fork springs. It will only cost you another 135 dollars or so. I have fixed three Wings with the decel wobble with the All Balls and Traxxion fork springs. After the mods the owners couldn't stop smiling.

With the stock setup the front end is nearly bottomed out while riding the bike. Raise that front end up and the bike won't wobble.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I agree with Red. Different things can cause the wobble, loose head bearing, bad back or front tire and on and on.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
RayJ (Ala) said:
I agree with Red. Different things can cause the wobble, loose head bearing, bad back or front tire and on and on.
I'm convinced on the ones out of the box that wobble, the frame geometry is out! I've seen wheels replaced, complete fork assembly sets changed out, a few sets of tires, swingarms retorqued, head bearings replaced (w/OEM), and they still wobbled.

I'd like to know why a new $23,000 two wheeled car wobbles out of the crate. In my opinion another dime out of the customers pocket should not be spent to solve a Honda problem! :evil:

I hope Honda finds the problem and addresses it. They probably know, but the fix must be too costly to admit to. :( Maybe one of these days we'll know the real answer.

FYI... I'm not talking about the little weenie decel wobble with your hands off of the bars. I'm talking about the constant slow speed wobble some have had on new 1800's. Me included! :x

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Red said:
RayJ (Ala) said:
I'm convinced on the ones out of the box that wobble, the frame geometry is out! I've seen wheels replaced, complete fork assembly sets changed out, a few sets of tires, swingarms retorqued, head bearings replaced (w/OEM), and they still wobbled.

I'd like to know why a new $23,000 two wheeled car wobbles out of the crate. In my opinion another dime out of the customers pocket should not be spent to solve a Honda problem! :evil:

I hope Honda finds the problem and addresses it. They probably know, but the fix must be too costly to admit to. :( Maybe one of these days we'll know the real answer.

FYI... I'm not talking about the little weenie decel wobble with your hands off of the bars. I'm talking about the constant slow speed wobble some have had on new 1800's. Me included! :x
My wobble is the little weenie decel wobble with no hands-still bugs me.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
JUST DO IT!!!...I think the All Balls Tapered Bearings are a good Preventative Maintenance (PM) anyway...Wobble or no Wobble...just seems like a good fit...when your ready...do the Front and Rear full Traxxion upgrade...you wont regret it...

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
laen said:
My wobble is the little weenie decel wobble with no hands-still bugs me.
If you had one of the "real" wobblers, you'd really have a case of the raw arse! LOL...

Stuff like that, on what is suppose to be the best and greatest, bugs the crap out of me. I know where you're coming from.

The "weenie wobble" should easily be handled by the roller bearings! ROFL....

Good Luck.....

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,127 Posts
Red said:
Roadie said:
Raise that front end up and the bike won't wobble.
Sure wish it were that easy! :?
Red
I was talking about the hands off the handlebars decel wobble and it really is that easy to fix.....Traxxion front fork springs(not Progressive fork springs) and the All Balls will fix the decel wobble and the bike will handle and ride better as well. It's a cheap upgrade too, around 180 dollars, if you do the work yourself.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Roadie said:
Red said:
Roadie said:
Raise that front end up and the bike won't wobble.
Sure wish it were that easy! :?
Red
I was talking about the hands off the handlebars decel wobble and it really is that easy to fix.....Traxxion front fork springs(not Progressive fork springs) and the All Balls will fix the decel wobble and the bike will handle and ride better as well. It's a cheap upgrade too, around 180 dollars, if you do the work yourself.
Frank, and the cost if you don't know how to do that kind of work??? :? Is replacing the fork springs and bearings a difficult task? How llong does it take? Any special tools needed? What about replacing the fork oil at the same time?

A mechanic I am NOT. :roll:

Todd

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,127 Posts
The best thing you could do is to buy Fred Harmon maintenance video as he shows you on the video in real time and bolt by bolt how to do the job, and no it's not a hard job to do. With Fred's maintenance video, anyone can work on this bike.

It would most likely take you a whole day to replace the steering bearings and change the fork oil and the fork springs. The only special tool that you will need to buy is a steering bearing nut tool to torque the bearings with. You can buy the Honda tool for about 60 dollars from your local dealer or you can buy a tool from a member on this forum that makes the tool out of a socket for around 35 dollars. In any case it's a tool needed for this bike if you do your own maintenance on this bike.

The only other tools you will need beside wrenches and sockets is a length of 1.25" pipe, I use aluminum pipe about 18 inches long to drive the bearing into the frame and on the steering stem. I also use a length of .375 inch steel rod about 18 inches or so long to tap out the races from the steering head of the frame and the steering stem...again Fred's video shows you the details.

If it were me, I would replace the stock fork springs with a set of Traxxion fork springs first. It's real easy to just replace the fork springs and change the fork oil and doesn't require you take much of the bike apart, Fred shows you how in the video. While I was at it I would check the stock steering bearing torque and make sure it's within spec and take the bike for a ride. You might just be surprised how much better your bike will feel. If you feel like you still want the All Balls then install them, if not you just save yourself the costs of the new bearings and the effort to install them.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Roadie, thanks for that great response!!! :D I just received the videos but have not gotten into them yet. I really appreciate your suggestions. Looks like I need to get to work.

Todd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts