GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am in the process of rebuilding my forks on my 02. Never done this before. Went with the All Balls fork seal kit over factory because of good reviews. They seem to be pretty durable. However, instructions as with many products thesedays, leave much to be desired. So, I can use a little advice. Seated the red fork seal in correctly, now the next step would be to install the retainer clip, according to Fred's entertainment videos. With the All Balls is that correct? Tried it and it doesn't seem right. Does it just sit on top of the fork seal? Doesn't seem to have groove fo it to ride in. I'm sure there are some of you who have done this. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't wnat to put this together and find I didn't do something right

Thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
Am in the process of rebuilding my forks on my 02. Never done this before. Went with the All Balls fork seal kit over factory because of good reviews. They seem to be pretty durable. However, instructions as with many products thesedays, leave much to be desired. So, I can use a little advice. Seated the red fork seal in correctly, now the next step would be to install the retainer clip, according to Fred's entertainment videos. With the All Balls is that correct? Tried it and it doesn't seem right. Does it just sit on top of the fork seal? Doesn't seem to have groove fo it to ride in. I'm sure there are some of you who have done this. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't wnat to put this together and find I didn't do something right

Thanks
The retaining ring, seated in the groove, is an essential part of any fork seal replacement. It's just the "fastener" that secures the seal in place.

It's pretty easy to not get the seal properly seated, and have it cover the groove. The only way you know it is properly seated is that you can see the groove just above it. I suppose the seal could be the wrong one. And, it can be difficult to see the groove unless you get the lighting right. But, in any event, no groove for the retaining ring to seat in is simply wrong.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I installed the allball seals i used the old seal and a pvc coupler i'm not sure what size and used a rubber hammer and pecked the seal down until the new seal is seated then the ring will snap in.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
1.5 pvc coupler with the hump hogged out. The snap ring should snap right in.

This is for inverted forks, for the wing you don't need to cut it. Tap around the edges with a WOODEN DOWEL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts