GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install All Balls Tapered Bearings on my 02 Wing. I called my local Honda Dealer and he said $300 to do the job. I called another non Honda shop and they actually wanted more. I was wondering how most handle the installation and what you think is a fair price for labor. I understand it can be a tough install to do yourself. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was quoted $325 including bearings and labor from the Honda dealership, $300 including bearings and labor from an independent (but didn't have the bearings in stock) and finally $270 including bearings and labor from an independent shop that has done over a hundred of them, and claims the job to take about three hours.

He said the most time consuming task is "undressing" the bike to get at the bearings. He has the specialized removal tools.

As stated in another post, I asked him to save the removed bearings for me, and they resemble something out of a Schwinn bicycle, rather than from a 900 pound cruiser.

I'm amazed Honda wanted to save the difference in cost from ball bearings to tapered roller bearings on these heavy bikes. On a crotch rocket, I understand, but not the cruiser.

I went from deceleration wobble, felt in the handlebars at 38 mph (every time), to cannot feel any wobble at all. I've had it done twice, once on my VTX1300C, and now on the Wing.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
$300 is not that unreasonable when you consider what had to be done. There is a LOT of labor involved and you're also paying for experience and expertise.

Traxxion charges $150 to do it while they are in there removing and replacing the forks and that's an additional $100, so Traxxion is charging $250, Thing is, those guys have it down to a science. They do it all the time and can just about do it blindfolded.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I want to install All Balls Tapered Bearings on my 02 Wing. I called my local Honda Dealer and he said $300 to do the job. I called another non Honda shop and they actually wanted more. I was wondering how most handle the installation and what you think is a fair price for labor. I understand it can be a tough install to do yourself. Thanks.
It's not that bad of a job, takes a little time but if you can turn a wrench save yourself some money.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
diy

If you never take the shelter off yourself, this probably isn't the job to start with. Having done it a couple of times, and been inside the shelter several times now, the trickiest part is getting the new bearing seated properly. IMO.

Richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts