GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the Tech Board first but got one response sending me to the closest Traxxion facility. That is not in my back yard and would not be convenient. I was hoping to just get some quick feedback to this question:

I want to install All Balls Tapered Bearings on my 02 Wing. I called my local Honda Dealer and he said $300 to do the job. I called another non Honda shop and they actually wanted more. I was wondering how most handle the installation and what you think is a fair price for labor. I understand it can be a tough install to do yourself. Thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
all balls

Spend a hundred bucks on Fred's DVD's, buy the bearings and do it yourself. 1 guy can do it on a Sat with normal hand tools, just work carefully and if you can't get someone locally to help in person, check here for someone who would help you by phone if you have questions as you work. Not a hi-tech job, just takes some time. If I can help, let me know. Gary

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
$300 ... ???

WOW ... that seems like a lot to me.

I'm not a mechanic but have found I can do most of my own Goldwing work. Bought a Honda headset tool and 30 mm socket and did it myself. Fred's DVD helps a LOT. Not rocket science. About $30 for the bearings.

Brakes are simple too ... rebuilt my own forks too. Take your time, make notes, and watch Fred's videos (watch out for the toe jams).

BTW ... worst part for me was that tiny little electrical connection inside the steering stem ... it's fragile and easily broken ... be very gentle with it.

Also ... if you've done the install yourself and find that later you wish the bearings were looser or tighter, you can do an adjustment very simply.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
A perspective... 3 hours labor plus parts, plus shop fees, plus tax to
get it done by a dealership who has done the job before and is
familiar with it, has all the tools to do the job and will have to accept
some degree of liability and responsiblity to get the job done
right probably is reasonable unless you are a competent do-it-yourselfer
with the skills, time, and tools. For me it boils down to whether doing
a job is more worth my time and skills OR my money and someone
elses skills. My two cents...if you're going to take down the front
end for bearings you might as well do a front end rebuild or upgrade
to make it all more cost effective. Which ever way you go. Don't
expect noticible changes from just new bearings.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I hope people realize many on this board do little mechanical work. This is not the job to start getting serious with.

The obvious reason is setting the races. Even our favorite video star didn't get that right the first time, his bearings loosened up fast. It's possible to damage the stem while getting that race on. It's a bit tricky to get the forks aligned when putting the wheel back on.

Then there's getting a tool for the nut, and figuring out how much to tighten it, a topic of debate here. The nut holding the top of the stem really needs a torque wrench, as do the bolts for the brakes. You have to figure out how to hold the front of the bike up safely, while applying serious force. Many owners here would be spending serious money just gearing up for this. And serious time getting the required knowledge to get everything right.

I think spending $300 would be a better alternative for many.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My dealer did mine last year as part of my first big going over on the bike since it was new. Since it was going to be taken apart anyway, they did the install for an extra $200 including the bearings. I think that was very fair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts