GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, mark in mesa here. my '05 started to wobble at 15,000 miles when i had my second D250 dunlop installed. not a bad wobble, but i had never felt it until the new tire was on. the local shop tech told me not to worry about it unless it got worse or if i just didn't feel comfortable with the bike. well, over the last 3,000 miles it definitely got worse so i had the all balls bearings put in yesterday. within the parking lot at the shop i could feel the difference. much tighter, no slop in the front end anymore at all. my bike feels even better on the road, no wobble at 40-45 mph like before. i'm convinced that the original caged ball bearings were very, very loose right from the start because the front end also doesn't bang on small road bumps anymore. i figured if i had to pay to have the stock bearings tightened up i might as well have them replaced. glad i did.

·
Vendor
21,892 Posts
Many of us have found this to be the fix.

I am getting ready to put a set in the FJR, it wobbles 10x worse than the Wing, so bad that you can loose control if you let go of the bars at around 45mph. It is pretty scary. The Wings wobble is nothing compared to this bike. The more aggressive rake and trail settings are what cause it.

You can have a bike that doesn't wobble, or you can have one with quick steering, but you can't have both, unless you add a steering damper.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I'm sold, on the All Balls bearings. Every Wing I've had, had the wobble. The 03 was bad, the 04 not quite as bad, & the 05 was the worst yet. When we got the 06, I didn't even try it. I told them I wouldn't take it, without the bearing change. Not once, has our 06 wobbled, & I'm convinced it probably would have without All Balls.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Fred H. said:
You can have a bike that doesn't wobble, or you can have one with quick steering, but you can't have both, unless you add a steering damper.
I have to dissagree.

I have the stock bearings. My first front tire, Dunlop D250, didn't wobble at all. Then I went to a Metzler ME880 and it wobbled from day one and only got worse as time went by. I just put a Bridgestone G709 on Friday and I can't get it to wobble.

This tire is still new and I need to do more testing, but I think the issue is more in the tire and less in the bearings. I'm not ignoring the physics and I realize that geometry fits in this equation also. Nevertheless, my current configuration doesn't exibit the wobble. More testing pending.

These are just my results. I neither endorse a particular tire nor am I putting the tapered bearings down. I'm just reporting what I see.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Rastoff said:
Fred H. said:
I have to dissagree.

I have the stock bearings. My first front tire, Dunlop D250, didn't wobble at all. Then I went to a Metzler ME880 and it wobbled from day one and only got worse as time went by. I just put a Bridgestone G709 on Friday and I can't get it to wobble.

This tire is still new and I need to do more testing, but I think the issue is more in the tire and less in the bearings. I'm not ignoring the physics and I realize that geometry fits in this equation also. Nevertheless, my current configuration doesn't exibit the wobble. More testing pending.

These are just my results. I neither endorse a particular tire nor am I putting the tapered bearings down. I'm just reporting what I see.
Totally agree with you, Rastoff. If everything is set up correctly, within tolerances and balanced, there will be no wobble regardless of rake angle, tire size, type of steering bearings, etc.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
ALL BALLS HERE 8)

no wobble

·
Registered
327 Posts
Where do you go for this kind of install? Hasn't bothered me much, but with all the talk I can't help but notice it more now that I'm keen to it. :roll:

Any ways...All Balls... who does it and how much?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all-balls install

any COMPETENT shop can install the bearings for you. i used a local non-dealer shop and the did it in about 3 hours for $270.00(parts and labor). these guys do more goldwings than other models so i felt comfortable with them. rode about 100 miles today and the bike feels so much better than before. money well spent.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Then I went to a Metzler ME880 and it wobbled from day one and only got worse as time went by.
Same here, back to old tire, no wobble, back to Metzeler and the wobble is there again. This was a hands on the bars wobble. Installed Traxxion fork springs, noticeable improvement but it still wobbled with my hands on the bars. Said what the heck, installed All Balls torqued to 22 ft-lbs, 4 lbs pull on a spring scale to turn the forks. It did not do one thing for the wobble. Now that the Metzeler has 13000 miles and is getting flat in the center the wobble has diminished. I think I have a bike that is allergic to Metzelers. By the way a Kuryakn (sp?) fork brace did nothing either but I did not expect the brace to do anything for the wobble. Tire on, wobble, tire off, no wobble, wonder what it could be? Surely not the tire? Think I'll try a crush washer next and then an exorcist named Dunlop or Bridgestone.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
500 miles on new tires, it still wobbled, I installed the ALLBALLS in about 6 hours, no more wobble, same tires. I'm happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts