GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 07 is now at the shop for fork maintenance. OEM head beararings, being replacing for All Balls, lasted 90k miles.

Will last they longer than OEM or the same?

The fork bushings will be replaced too. Both items due to handlebars wobble.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yes All Balls should last a little longer, I would guess 100,000-200,000 miles, depends a lot on how well they were installed.

Well, that's good news, I guess. I have a kit on my bench to install after riding is over here soon in the Great White North country (it was 38* this morning). At 55k miles the OEM ones in my 2001 are "notched" and want to stay/return to dead ahead center. Makes for wobbly maneuvers at slow speeds. Looks like a lot of work for what should have been better OEM bearing system to begin with....

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
My 07 is now at the shop for fork maintenance. OEM head beararins being replacing for All Balls lasted 90k miles.

Will last they longer than OEM or the same?

The fork bushings will be replaced too. Both items due to handlebars wobble.
With your OEM bearings, you've probably had steering head wobble for at least 70k. Often it just knowing how to test for it. If you inspect the races from your old bearings, wear should be very noticeable. As for AllBall bearings, although the design seems better for our application, some of the bearings and races are made with Chinese steel which is considered low grade. If someone get 70k out of tapered bearings that would be good. On trikes with easy-steer, some of those will only get 20k out of a set of AllBalls.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I installed a Traxxion tree which uses the tapered bearings, there was slight notchiness at 4k miles. OEM is better imho but I didn't have steering wobble before so didn't need to control that.

Edit: Oops, better clarify that...didn't have the wobble at all, before or after.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I installed a Traxxion tree which uses the tapered bearings, there was slight notchiness at 4k miles. OEM is better imho but I didn't have steering wobble before so didn't need to control that.
Just going off of memory, bad I know, but when I purchased the triple tree, I think they advertised that it came with ALL-BALLS tapered roller bearings installed. So mine must be the same brand. No issues for me yet.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Quality wise, the OEM bearings are by far better. Because they have a roundish grind in their races, they are far more expensive too. They offer extreme nimbleness, which we all want, and it's what Honda says they gave us, but that nimbleness came with the down-side affect of the wobble.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for your inputs!

Now my Wing rides like silk. My mechanich was pretty satisfied about the design of the All Balls.

The OEM races were a bit notched all around.

With your OEM bearings, you've probably had steering head wobble for at least 70k. Often it just knowing how to test for it..
The matter is not if you can find the wobble: The matter is when the wobble finds you! :grin2:

I'm not sure when it begins. First only at, lets say, 50m/h. And I tought that was due the rear tire wear. Then, it happends at 45, 40, 35......and now it was almost from the start in the garage.

Thanks folks.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
All Balls can develop a center "notch" on them over time, you need to lift the front end off the ground and feel the steering at the center position. Move it slowly back and forth accross center and see if you feel a notch. Anytime they get over about 40K miles on them, you better start checking them frequently.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is there a tapered bearing of higher quality steel available? With the effort it takes to swap in a set, Id think the added expense would be worthwhile. Thoughts?
With your OEM bearings, you've probably had steering head wobble for at least 70k. Often it just knowing how to test for it. If you inspect the races from your old bearings, wear should be very noticeable. As for AllBall bearings, although the design seems better for our application, some of the bearings and races are made with Chinese steel which is considered low grade. If someone get 70k out of tapered bearings that would be good. On trikes with easy-steer, some of those will only get 20k out of a set of AllBalls.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Is there a tapered bearing of higher quality steel available? With the effort it takes to swap in a set, Id think the added expense would be worthwhile. Thoughts?
There are a couple of tapered bearings with steel from Japan. The problem is getting them and them having reliable availability.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
All Balls can develop a center "notch" on them over time, you need to lift the front end off the ground and feel the steering at the center position. Move it slowly back and forth accross center and see if you feel a notch. Anytime they get over about 40K miles on them, you better start checking them frequently.
That is exactly how the head bearings are now in my 2001 @55k miles. No slop/play and no wobble at speed but it makes ugly weaving around at very low speed maneuvers. Not looking forward to the job after the riding season is over but it has to be done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts