Lots of posts about what can go wrong;
i.e.
.. too tight
.. too loose
.. gonna fail and crash and burn
.. no difference, waste of money
.... etc etc..

I won't say "please, no more about that"
because I know that's a waste of time on this board..
Telling a naysayer not to say nay is like asking them not to breathe.

I am really NOT interested in hearing MORE of "they are snake oil" or "they don't make ANY difference at all".
I've read every post like that already and..
.. it scares me to think someone actually made the change and then can honesty say, "they make no difference".
... For me, I'd have to be completely comatose and strapped to the pillion position to not notice a difference.

Now, liking (or not) that difference is what I'm hoping to explore further here.

For those that have installed them,
AND believe they make a positive difference,
please do your best to describe exactly what is better about them.
If you installed them and do not like the difference, please explain why.

I've got my own impressions,
but the change is not at all what I expected nor have
I read anything that describes what I'm experiencing.
(more on that later)..

I AM interested in hearing from others describing what they think is different about them regarding GL1800 handling.

thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm interested in this as well.
I have just finished installing the rear shock and about to start the front end.
Based on what I've read I'm still torn on weather or not to do the bearings.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Dennis,

I had my "head" bearings changed out to the AB bearings back when I had my Traxxion setup done and I like them better than the OEM bearings. The big difference I noticed right away was how much "tighter" the steering seemed to feel and also more precise. The same thing might have been accomplished if I had just tightened up nut with the OEM bearings in. I don't know.

I do know that I have not had ANY issues with the bearings since they were installed 3 years ago. I've had the bike back once since I got the suspension upgrade, for a fork service, and whether or not the "torque" was adjusted when they did that service, I don't know. I do know that when I get the bike back, it didn't feel any different.

I know a lot of people change out the bearings due to the "wobble" issue. I have never had any wobble so I can't comment on that aspect. I know this...if tightening the nut on the steering head with the OEM bearings had felt the same as it does with the AB bearings, then I probably wouldn't have changed them out. With that said, since Traxxion was already in there doing the other service, I figured I might as well since the bike was pretty much apart anyway. I do like the idea of using roller bearings as opposed to ball bearings. In my mind, it just makes better sense to have more of a surface area in contact with the races.

My $.02...

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Four of us in so texas had jimmy put them in our 1800s last fall, it turns so much smoother in the parking lots or at a 90 corner when you are stopped that you think its a new bike with new tires even if the tires have 10k on them. It is smoother and does not have a flat spot where the old bearings 60K miles on them wore in. Riding at speed since I dont turn the handle bars much there is not much difference but no flat spot . D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I installed the all balls bearings as part of a suspension upgrade. I also used progressive springs, race tech kits, and a traxxion fork brace. I had a worsening wobble which I felt on deceleration, with my hands on the bars. When I took it apart, the bottom spanner nut wasn't even hand tight. After riding it a few weeks, I did have to go back in and re-tighten the bearings, as they had loosened up. Don't know how much of the improved feel and handling to attribute to which parts, but it feels like a totally different bike, as it feels "planted" to me in the corners, and positively responsive at low speed now. (and has no wobble):lol:

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Mine were changed at ~40k miles (I now have 58k). I had purchased the bearings thinking that I would do the service, but ended up having it done by a local shop for way to much labor charge. Still, I wish that I had it done as soon as I purchased the bike. Mine had wobble from ~5k on the original D250s on until the bearing replacement, and has shown no tendency since. The front is solid at all speeds, up/down hill, light touch to the bars just to steady and no indication at all of wobble. Old tires or new, Dynabeads or weights. I still am considering a few of the Traxxion enhancements - but for better ride and handling, not to get rid of the wobble. The last two sets of tires have not cupped on the front, either.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have the AB bearing set, and they are a real improvement over the old fashioned ball bearings from stock.

If you have any reason to go into the steering head area, put them in. Only real downside I know of is they are real finicky about torque, but just follow the directions and you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I had my front end rebuilt at 53K(traxxion springs, bushings, seal and AD disabled). I left the OEM bearings in place as I had never had a wobble problem. I still don't have a wobble at 64K, but I do like the feel of the new front end.

For me the tapered bearings would have been a waste of money. I see no problems with the OEM steering head bearings. The Wing handles great both at speed and in parking lots. JMO

Fred

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Doe anybody make a bearing for our bikes that isn't a no-name Chinese bearing? I have to replace my OEM bearings this winter because of a flat spot at 60K, (Damn potholes), and I haven't decided whether to stick with OEM or go for aftermarket rollers. I don't mind made in China. I just want a name brand bearing.

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
The cheapest front suspension you can do... before I got mine installed the front end always shook, but now it is steady as a ROCK!!!!

Best money I have spent...

Matt(BCNV) :doorag:

·
Registered
740 Posts
I just had some work done on my ride. Disable ADV, progressive springs, all-balls along with seals, bearing, bushings, brakes all around and all fluids.
Now, I didn't have any type of wobble before ever and I still don't. I can really feel the new brakes more than any other mod except for the ADV. I'm pretty sure my ADV was not working properly. Can't say that I can "feel" the diff w/ all-balls as compared to the stock bearings.
My bike is an 02, if I get another 9 years from it, it will put me in my mid 70's. Don't know how much I'll ride then, I'll worry about it in 2020.

I did want to add that new crush washers were used on the final drive and oil pan.
Bob VanNess

S

·
0 Posts
Changed mine at 40k and now have 115k

Done right there is no change except for the imaginary better handling.
I have yet to have any wobble or negative symptoms.

I just rebuilt the front fender and shocks on mine this winter and in checking the resistance it is still just like when I did them some 70k+ miles ago.
I installed them just the way all the shop mechanics do - by feel.
No torque just snugged them up enough to remove play but not hamper or add dampening.
I expect them to go for life with no required maintenance on my part.

I only run the Battlax BT45r tires which seem to be wobble resistant and I also quit running sportbike tires on the rear at the same time I swapped out the steering races so this also figures into the never wobble equation.

I think a fair amount of wobble is probably rear tire induced.

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
ALL BALLS properly installed are a bargain and worthwhile. PITA to install

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just put them in Sunday, that being said I don't have alot of miles on them.
So far they are good but not great. I still have some wobble on deceleration but it's better than it was. My bike always had a decel wobble since it was new,but not that bad. Now with the new tapered bearing it has improved to the point of when it was new.
I feel if I put new OEM bearings in I would most likely have the same result as I have now.
So the answer would be - I don't disslike them. But they did not make a significant difference.
If I had no wobble problem I would deffinitley not dissasemble my bike just to put them in.
Tom

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
The cheapest front suspension you can do... before I got mine installed the front end always shook, but now it is steady as a ROCK!!!!

Best money I have spent...

Matt(BCNV) :doorag:
+1 up until the money part. Matt was too cheap to pay for mine.

·
Registered
627 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:Before the AllBalls my bike had the WOBBLE on decel, after the AllBalls no more wobble. That alone was more then worth the money. :thumbup:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Since replacing stock with All Balls, no more decel wobble here. But in all fairness, who knows if the stock bearings were properly torqued. I didn't check and don't know that they were and if they were would I have had decel wobble?:shrug:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I had the 40 mph wobble on my bike from day one. New tires or old tires did not make a difference. Also had trouble with cupping on front. I took my bike apart to rebuild the front forks and change fluid. Decided to retorque the head bearings while I was in there. When I torqued them, I had a notchy feeling when turned from side to side. I removed the stock bearings and could feel the notches in the race. Since I was in there already, I replaced with AB's. Man what a difference. No more cupping and no more wobble. I think the stock bearings in GW's or just fine if torqued properly at factory and retorqued later after some miles are put on them. I don't think that happens very often. The latter is JMHO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts