GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOW MUCH TORQUE HAS ANYONE BEEN USING ON THE ALL BALLS BEARING. I HAVE IT AT 26 FTLBS. NOW AND STILL GOT A WOBBLE AT 40. JUST CURIOUS WHAT EVERYONE HAS THEIRS SET AT THANKS [/b]

·
Registered
609 Posts
You might want to recheck the torque as the races miay not have bottomed out inside of the tube when installed.

what about the tires, what pressure do you have them set?
edmund

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,548 Posts
I have been setting the torque at 22.5ftlbs with the All Balls.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
So do you reallly think that your torque is accurate to a half foot pound?<BG>

Roadie said:

·
Registered
63 Posts
The torque setting is kind of of a guide to get you close. The final setting should give you a pull on the forks of 3 to 4 lbs. It took mine 30lbs torque on the bearings to get a 3 to 4 lb pull. That is checked by using a spring gauge and tie a string to each fork and pull till the fork moves. Do it to each fork leg. Mine were 3.5 and about 4. Handles and feels great Make sure nothing is in the way of the forks moving freely.
Ive got 22,000 on the bearings, had the bike to 100 (no high speed wander). Rode the dragon and brp this summer and handled great

Note;
My 03 1800 shook with every tire until bearing change
I put the bearings in at 18,000 miles and had a Metzler with 6,000 on it at that time. Even after the bearings were changed the bike shook bad decelerating 40mph on down untill I got rid of the Metz. Never shook again with E3s or Bridgestone.

·
Registered
270 Posts
taxi said:
The torque setting is kind of of a guide to get you close. The final setting should give you a pull on the forks of 3 to 4 lbs. It took mine 30lbs torque on the bearings to get a 3 to 4 lb pull. That is checked by using a spring gauge and tie a string to each fork and pull till the fork moves. Do it to each fork leg. Mine were 3.5 and about 4. Handles and feels great Make sure nothing is in the way of the forks moving freely.
Ive got 22,000 on the bearings, had the bike to 100 (no high speed wander). Rode the dragon and brp this summer and handled great

Note;
My 03 1800 shook with every tire until bearing change
I put the bearings in at 18,000 miles and had a Metzler with 6,000 on it at that time. Even after the bearings were changed the bike shook bad decelerating 40mph on down untill I got rid of the Metz. Never shook again with E3s or Bridgestone.

That's what I been trying to tell Metzler, it's the tires.

I had no wobble with the Bridgestones.

I put on a new set of Metzlers, when I couldn't find Bridgestones, and the bike wobbled so bad you couldn' t keep the it on the road.

At 700 miles, on the Metzlers, I replaced them with E3's and no more wobble.

It's the Metzler tires, at least in my case.

And Metzler still refuses to replace them.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Mine has not wobbled at all since I installed the All Ball Bearings and started using Bridgestones, which will be my tire as long as I can get them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Roadie said:
Frank, I might want to borrow the socket and driving tool from you. I have not had any problems but it seems like a good upgrade. I think Im also am going to change the fork springs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts