GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both the rim and tire (Blizzak LM-25 RFT) arrived this week. The rim had some gouges, so I did some sanding, cleaned with Mac's Aluminum Brightener and put on 3 coats of Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Coating. Unless it's a total failure, it may take a while to see how long the coating holds up to salt and brake dust.

Now for the fun. I have a HF tire changer and thought I could mount the tire. I did manage to get the first side down, but only managed half of the second side. Of course, I've never been able to bring myself to drill holes in the floor, so I've always changed the tires somewhat freestyle (one foot holding the changer down, one knee trying to keep it from turning, etc.). All I can say is WHAT WAS I THINKING??????? The bias E3's for the Voyager have always been tough, but this might call for some professional backup.

At least I'm attempting to do this in the basement where it's warm and I can sip on a refreshment during intermission.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Before you totally bugger yourself, take it to your nearest tire shop and have them mount it for about $12. Cheers.....:doorag:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Unless you have a mojo lever, it probably ain't going to happen. Run flat tire side walls won't give much. If you use tire irons it will seriously screw up the soft aluminum rim. The trick is to get the tire bead into the rim valley and keep it there. Square wood pegs or C-clamps work the best. Plenty of tire lube also is needed. Soap and water don't work near a good. If you don't have tire lube get some spray silicone and use that. I have changes several tires on my HF changer, but it is bolted to a 4 x 4 sheet of 1/2" steel diamond plate and don't move. If a bike shop near you sells rim savers then you could get 2 or 3 of them and do it with the tire irons. They will protect your rims from gouges.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I took mine to a local auto repair shop, where I knew they had good equipment. Mounted the tire, put in balance beads and filled with nitrogen, all for $10.60.

I have the HF changer also, and after one attempt to change a RF tire I gave up. :wrong:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well don't feel too bad. :joke: A Run flat is a challenge. I have trouble getting the first bead over the rim. It will go about 9/10th way around and then laugh at me.

I have even wedged the rim under something and jumped up and down on the tire trying to get that first bead to slip over the rim. I can get the second one with the no mar bar, but that first one gives me heck.

If you think getting one on is tough, wait till you try to take one off.

I do not even play with them anymore, it is off to the tire store, over and done in two minutes , no skinned fingers and a much better outlook on life. :thumbup:

The large discount tire store where I live has a rim clamp no touch machine and they do not even charge me to mount the tire. I do buy my tires for the work vehicles there, but still, they are quite nice about the whole thing. This last time I gave the boy 10 bucks , he did not want to take it, but figured that was better than a fuss!!! Most large tire stores will do it while you wait and not charge much or if at all.

Kit

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got to get away from the big city, $35.00.
:agree:It cost me $65.00 (1 Hour of labor).
Sounds to me it might have been worth it!!! LOL

Ray

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
A local mom & pop tire shop charged me $5.00 to dismount a E3 and mount the kumho.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Take it to a tire shop, it will be well worth it!

Couple days ago I was going to take the beads out of a conti that I had and ended up drilling a hole in it, not to reuse the beads but to see what they looked like and not to get them all over the shop that I use to have mount my tires. Now have the Kumho mounted with beads for spare until my other conti wears out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Both the rim and tire (Blizzak LM-25 RFT) arrived this week. The rim had some gouges, so I did some sanding, cleaned with Mac's Aluminum Brightener and put on 3 coats of Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Coating. Unless it's a total failure, it may take a while to see how long the coating holds up to salt and brake dust.

Now for the fun. I have a HF tire changer and thought I could mount the tire. I did manage to get the first side down, but only managed half of the second side. Of course, I've never been able to bring myself to drill holes in the floor, so I've always changed the tires somewhat freestyle (one foot holding the changer down, one knee trying to keep it from turning, etc.). All I can say is WHAT WAS I THINKING??????? The bias E3's for the Voyager have always been tough, but this might call for some professional backup.

At least I'm attempting to do this in the basement where it's warm and I can sip on a refreshment during intermission.
I made a 4'X4' wooden pallet to mount the HF machine. Last summer I mounted the Kumho with the help of my brother and some adult sparkling beverages. It was a real struggle and I used everything I had, including the wood wedges, Mojolever, 3 No Mar tire spoons and a jug of NAPA tire mounting lube. First bead wasn't too bad, but the second bead looked to be impossible. I keep a jar of Vasoline out in the garage and schmeered a bit of it on the last foot of the bead and rim and Voila!, it was on. I have a couple of thousand miles on the tire and no slippage at all from the Vasoline. NoMar does sell a jell lube that probably does the same thing.

Although the HF stand works well with smaller tires like on my V-Strom and the FJR I used to have, now that I have the Kumho on the rim I will have a tire store do it in the future. I doubt if I could handle the job w/o help and it's not worth the effort to DIY.

I did not use the glass beads because I use Ride-On tire sealant in my m/c tires. I suppose that the new Wing with the pressure monitors wouldn't work with the sealant.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I suppose that the new Wing with the pressure monitors wouldn't work with the sealant.
Probably not, as the ride on makes a mess on the wheel!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Just yesterday I mounted my 175/55/17 Dunlop run flat tire using my HF. Of course I bolted mine to the floor. I get the second bead over the rim I use the following tools. Several NoMar Spoon bars and three Extra-Hand clamps. The Extra-Hand clamps will keep the tire bead pushed down into the center of the rim. Using the NoMar spoon bars allows one person to easily and quickly work the bead over the rest of the rim. Takes me about two or three minutes tops. You really need to figure out a way to bolt your HF down, or like the others take it some place....

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product/show/7

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product/show/8

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just yesterday I mounted my 175/55/17 Dunlop run flat tire using my HF. Of course I bolted mine to the floor. I get the second bead over the rim I use the following tools. Several NoMar Spoon bars and three Extra-Hand clamps. The Extra-Hand clamps will keep the tire bead pushed down into the center of the rim. Using the NoMar spoon bars allows one person to easily and quickly work the bead over the rest of the rim. Takes me about two or three minutes tops. You really need to figure out a way to bolt your HF down, or like the others take it some place....

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product/show/7

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product/show/8
The Spoon bar in your first link is pretty much what I had my wife do - hold the leading edge. The hold down item in the second link looks really interesting also. Thanks for the links.

I picked up a couple of spoons and did manage to get the tire mounted with help from my wife. But having done it once, I'm definitely going to see if I can find a local tire shop willing to do the next set.

·
Registered
657 Posts
try mount tire changer so it slips into receaver hitch on car or truck then it wont move around

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
try mount tire changer so it slips into receaver hitch on car or truck then it wont move around
I think Mike prefers to work on tires in his nice warm basement... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is an aphorism in medicine that goes something like this:
See one, do one............teach one.
Insfar as I've mounted a CT (Kumho 195/55-16) one time, using a HF changer, I guess I'm qualified to chime in, but in no way could I be considered an expert.
I used the technique shown in the NoMar video http://www.nomartirechanger.com/video/show/9 , and it worked well for me. The video shows an E-3 being mounted, which, while not a CT, is one of the tougher moto tires to mount (I've done a few of these). The way they simply push the first bead on makes me suspect that the tire was pre-stretched, or at the least, very warm. I had to use my tire bar to mount the first bead. I have no doubt that mounting a cold tire in a chilly garage is the hard way to go. A few things I've learned:
The HF mounting bar is crap, and guaranteed to scratch your wheel..I use a Coats bar, wood blocks and 4 NoMar spoons. My HF changer is bolted to the floor, with lag bolts and shields. I also used a good tire PASTE, designed for use with alloy wheels and run flat, low profile tires. Lastly, unless you are gorilla-strong, it's a 2-person job.
I saw in previous posts the advice to use silicone spray, or Vaseline....perhaps those things work, but I think I'd stick with products that are meant to be used on tires.

-tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts