GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
That's pretty much what my gear consists of, Olympia touring jacket, Triumph Sympatex pants, gloves and waterproof boots. I add the Gerbing liner when its cold.

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
Read most of the article and found it interesting, I have had a gerbing jacket liner since about 1997 other than fit never an issue, but it to small so this year I bought a new one, got the new one with the red collar and Microwire , it has no insulation which in my opinion is a big mistake, I wore it a couple times and it was no where near as warm as my old liner so I sent it back for a refund, then I found a brand new last year gerbing liner which has insulation and Microwire bought that instead, unfortunately have not had a chance to ride with it yet but am sure insulated will be much better. I would not recommend warmnsafe liners either because they also are not insulated. Tourmaster liners are insulated and i think they would be a good choice. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
That's pretty much what my gear consists of, Olympia touring jacket, Triumph Sympatex pants, gloves and waterproof boots. I add the Gerbing liner when its cold.
Same here, Olympia AST jackets and pants, summer gloves and G3 winter gloves, Gerbing jacket liners and Tourmaster Solutions waterproof boots.

Oh and LD Comfort turtle neck shirt and shorts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Read most of the article and found it interesting, I have had a gerbing jacket liner since about 1997 other than fit never an issue, but it to small so this year I bought a new one, got the new one with the red collar and Microwire , it has no insulation which in my opinion is a big mistake, I wore it a couple times and it was no where near as warm as my old liner so I sent it back for a refund, then I found a brand new last year gerbing liner which has insulation and Microwire bought that instead, unfortunately have not had a chance to ride with it yet but am sure insulated will be much better. I would not recommend warmnsafe liners either because they also are not insulated. Tourmaster liners are insulated and i think they would be a good choice. :thumbup:
Didn't know that about the newer Gerbing's. My older Gerbing (pre-micro wire circa 2007) is very warm and is a tall version that I don't think they make anymore. Also, I like my plug-in connection patch on the inside of my older Gerbing jacket. Not sure why they removed that feature but I'll bet cost was a factor.

I believe the Warm & Safe not being insulated is their "Temperature Neutral" feature that will prevent having to remove the liner when you ride thru temps that are climbing. It works quite well with a light riding jacket over the liner. Plenty of heat is there if you need it but it is just as convenient to not have to pull over and de-clothe when the temps start to rise. My reason for not buying from Warm and Safe ever again has to do with their service, or more precisely, the lack of it!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
What is the coldest temp any of you with the heated gear have ridden in and been comfortable? Is it good for around 10 degrees or so, and at highway speeds? I did a 400 mile ride last week and the temps ranged from 10 to 28. My feet got uncomfortably cold, but the rest of me was only "coolish".

But it did make me consider heated gear.
TIA

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
10 degrees is fine with a heated jacket and pants. I don't have or want the socks, so my feet do get cold. Last time I put one of those little chemical hand warmers in each boot and I was fine, it was 8 degrees but I only went 50 miles.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Upper torso: t-shirt, Gerbing's heated jacket liner in colder weather (below 50), Motorport Kevlar mesh jacket and a quality Carhartt waterproof, wind proof jacket over the mesh when it's either raining or cold. The Carhartt jacket traps the air in the mesh jacket making it a layer of insulation. Wet Ld comfort sleeves when it gets above 95 degrees.

Lower torso: LD comfort underwear, jeans or lightweight nylon pants, Motoport Kevlar over pants. Gerbings heated pants liner and heated insoles when temps fall below freezing. Frogg Toggs overpants in heavy rain.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I'm surprised he didn't go with over-gloves for his rain glove. Wearable over either a winter or summer glove, it has a better temperature range for usage, it makes your favorite gloves waterproof, can make your winter gloves even warmer, and packs up super compact.

We've used these for the last 4 years with excellent results. Using them have always kept our hands and gloves warm and dry.
http://www.rain-off.com/

Good article on minimalist approach to all season gear. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r5/motorcycle-touring-outfit/ I'd like to know what pieces and brands of heated gear you guys like the most. Thanks

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
What is the coldest temp any of you with the heated gear have ridden in and been comfortable? Is it good for around 10 degrees or so, and at highway speeds? I did a 400 mile ride last week and the temps ranged from 10 to 28. My feet got uncomfortably cold, but the rest of me was only "coolish".

TIA
You're good on any bike with good wind protection. It may work on a bike without a fairing as long as it has a windshield and the tank is shaped to direct the wind away from you like the adventure bikes. I'd be surprised if it was adequate on a naked bike at that temp.

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
What is the coldest temp any of you with the heated gear have ridden in and been comfortable? Is it good for around 10 degrees or so, and at highway speeds? I did a 400 mile ride last week and the temps ranged from 10 to 28. My feet :yes1::yes1:got uncomfortably cold, but the rest of me was only "coolish".

TIA
I have left home riding the wing when it was -6 , 100 miles to breakfast and was plenty comfy with just a heated jacket liner and heated grips :yes1:

Also have heated pants and heated insoles but don't usually put them on unless it's a longer ride, just to much stuff to mess with for short rides

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
0F. Went for a 100 mile joy ride. Stayed very comfortable until I stopped for gas. I got pretty cold while fueling up. Boy was I glad to get the bike back on the heated gear going again! :lol:

TIA

·
Registered
905 Posts
Gerbing electrics (for when it gets cold) and a Aerostitch Roadcrafter (for everyday riding in Hi-Viz) ..
It's a perfect combination.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the info. I'll probably get some heated gear. On my ride I looked and felt like the Michelin man with all the layers I had on, but I was glad I had 'em as I would have had to turn back if I didn't. It was a Patriot Guard mission for a guy who was a fighter pilot in WW II, Korea and Vietnam, shot down during the D-Day invasion, shot down in Korea and was a POW for over a year there, then he flew in Vietnam, too. For guys like that, I make a special effort.
Thanks again for the info, very useful!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts