GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Goldwing
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -
2001 Goldwing - just installed some Show Chrome speakers (like these 4 1/2" 2-WAY NEODYMIUM SPEAKERS) in the front of the bike.

Test them out while the meter panel was still off - they work and sound amazing. Great.

Button everything up - test again - great.

Decide to go for a ride - no sound. No CB, no beep on the radio. Nothing.

However, I can tune the radio and all the controls seem to work.

Here's what I've done:

• Tested all fuses except the 2 large main and speed limiter fuses at the bottom.
  • Disconnected battery wire - reconnected battery wire
  • pushed the "audio" button to switch between headset and speakers. I don't have a headset to test
  • push the "mute" button on the handlebars
  • Turn the squelch all the way up. Turn it all the way down. Turn off the CB
  • Switch from FM to AM. Switch to Aux

Are there any secret fuses that aren't on the left hand side of the bike near the battery?
Are there wires that could be pinched somewhere?

I'd love to have sound again. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
I have seen a long time ago where the front speaker worked fine up until road vibration moved it just enough for the terminals to touch against the metal speaker housing. Solution was bend the terminals up out of the way. Luckily the output amp was fine.

Unfortunately another time the output amp on the radio blew, and required sent out for repair. The radio uses a separate output amp for speakers and headset, so one may work and other not. So before you send it to Sierra Electronics for repair, pull the speakers out and see if they'll work outside the housing. If so you know the issue. If not, beg a friend for a headset helmet and try the headset function.

Be aware rear trunk/speaker wiring that goes up along the hinge can be pinched and cause same issues.

Reactions: Alligatro

·
Registered
2001 Goldwing
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen a long time ago where the front speaker worked fine up until road vibration moved it just enough for the terminals to touch against the metal speaker housing. Solution was bend the terminals up out of the way. Luckily the output amp was fine.

Unfortunately another time the output amp on the radio blew, and required sent out for repair. The radio uses a separate output amp for speakers and headset, so one may work and other not. So before you send it to Sierra Electronics for repair, pull the speakers out and see if they'll work outside the housing. If so you know the issue. If not, beg a friend for a headset helmet and try the headset function.

Be aware rear trunk/speaker wiring that goes up along the hinge can be pinched and cause same issues.
Success!!
In my haste I installed a speaker upside down and the contacts were shorting out against a bolt causing none of the speakers to work.
Automotive tire Automotive design Camera lens Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Liquid

1 - 3 of 3 Posts