1 - 20 of 25 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at this message
Be careful there Tom,
At this point, the engine case has probably warped itself to match
the distorted shape of your excessively abused crush washer.
Any attempt to install a new crush washer is therefore strongly discouraged as it can transfer severe stress to the aluminum frame,
which has been shown to cause frame cracking.
DC
Ok who can put to gether a statement like this. But using as many of the 1800's legends and foibles as you can.
Sort if like this,
At this point, the engine case has probably warped itself to match
the distorted shape of your excessively abused crush washer. this can lead to frame cracking causiing misalignment of the wheels producing heat that will boil the unchanged brakelines fluid. This will create high temperatures in the engine, leading to overheating, but only in 2nd gear with high revs. after running with a car tire on the rear wheel filled with nitrogen.

Give it a try..

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
People who use crush washers on Gold Wings should be charged with motorcycle abuse. Crush washers are useless and a hazard to you health.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Deer whistles dont work. I have had one for years. Never have seen a deer come blow it.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
ALERT! The front WOBBLE is caused by not having a CRUSH WASHER, installed.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
How do crush washers get excessively abused? Is there an organization for the prevention of excessively abused crush washers? Just wondering!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Long - but it leads to solution by Fred

If you re-use the crush washer several times it is very difficult to put it back in the exact same place as the factory setting. This will lead to an unbalanced engine which the wing detects and trys to correct through the unbalanced crush washer detector mechanism in the steering head. Of course, after many miles of constantly trying to correct itself, the steering head gets fatiqued (tired) resulting in a vibration of the front end at speeds between 30 and 40 mph. Continued neglect in not balancing the crush washer, thus easing the load on the steering head will naturally result in cracked frames due to the harmonics and oscillation that occurs. If you are lucky, the frame will not crack but you will probably end up with a left low beam headlight that is not drawing the same watts as the other side and will appear dimmer. If you have that problem the solution is simple - you just reach in the compartment in the rear trunk on the bottom (it looks like a secret compartment). In there you will find Fred's videos which will provide you with a cure for wingitis (occurs in winter time) and other things including how to use your big toe as a set of miniature vice grips. These miniature vice grips are the key in getting the correct torque on the crush washer in the first place so you can avoid all of the above problems. If somebody has stolen Fred's videos from that secret compartment I would suggest that you look in your wife's freezer, otherwise, you will have to order a new set. Hope this helps, especially you newbies out there who are unaware of the dangers associated with the crush washer torque problems.

It is the winter time , isn't it ? How can you tell :)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I heard from my Wife's step brother's half sister's cousin that Hal is going to have a sale on blinker fluid, crush washers, and instruction manuals for activating the remote starter feature. Now if they would throw in a manual on aluminum welding this would be a heck of a motorcycle. :wink:

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I heard from my Wife's step brother's half sister's cousin that Hal is going to have a sale on blinker fluid, crush washers, and instruction manuals for activating the remote starter feature. Now if they would throw in a manual on aluminum welding this would be a heck of a motorcycle. :wink:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Long - but it leads to solution by Fred

Saddletramp said:
If you re-use the crush washer several times it is very difficult to put it back in the exact same place as the factory setting. This will lead to an unbalanced engine which the wing detects and trys to correct through the unbalanced crush washer detector mechanism in the steering head. Of course, after many miles of constantly trying to correct itself, the steering head gets fatiqued (tired) resulting in a vibration of the front end at speeds between 30 and 40 mph. Continued neglect in not balancing the crush washer, thus easing the load on the steering head will naturally result in cracked frames due to the harmonics and oscillation that occurs. If you are lucky, the frame will not crack but you will probably end up with a left low beam headlight that is not drawing the same watts as the other side and will appear dimmer. If you have that problem the solution is simple - you just reach in the compartment in the rear trunk on the bottom (it looks like a secret compartment). In there you will find Fred's videos which will provide you with a cure for wingitis (occurs in winter time) and other things including how to use your big toe as a set of miniature vice grips. These miniature vice grips are the key in getting the correct torque on the crush washer in the first place so you can avoid all of the above problems. If somebody has stolen Fred's videos from that secret compartment I would suggest that you look in your wife's freezer, otherwise, you will have to order a new set. Hope this helps, especially you newbies out there who are unaware of the dangers associated with the crush washer torque problems.

I LOVE IT!!!!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
No animals were harmed in the testing of MY crush washer....

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Lucky Phil said:
No animals were harmed in the testing of MY crush washer....
Do you have the ISO9002 Whitepaper to prove this point?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can somebody tell me the proper torque spec for the crush washer... don't want to over crush :shock:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Crush washers, what a waste! I bought a rubber o-ring from Home Depot and put it on the drain plug a couple years ago, no problems and reuse it all the time. This way I dont have to worry about torque on the rubber o-ring.

I must admit it took me two years to find out how to modify my key-bob for remote starting though. Why were you guys so darn stingy in giving up that information anyway? And why didn't anyone tell me that using the remote start modification on my-key bob makes the key-bob's battery last only about 1 year?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Re: Long - but it leads to solution by Fred

Saddletramp said:

Not bad Rory, not bad at all!
A nice expansion on my original thoughts. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
216 Posts
Quote:
I would suggest that you look in your wife's freezer,

There is something about that statement that just doesn't sound right.

It is clear for those who have viewed Fred's videos. For others, yeah I guess it could mean something different.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Saddletramp, I'm dissapointed! I thought for sure that you would mention something about the excessive vibration causing the speedometer to become inaccurate or causing the left saddlebag latch to not work properly. Good job tho Saddletramp!!

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
It appears that some people have WAYYYYYYYY too much time on their hands..... 8)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts