GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice from any campers who have stayed in the Augusta, GA; Charleston, SC & Savannah, GA areas.

Elrod has been very helpful on routes to Augusta, GA & Charleston. He hasn't camped - says he is a camper want-a-be. Maybe we can convert him to the "wild side".:thumbup:

scwinger60 steered me away from a potential mistake at the Charleston, Ladson KOA site. Apparently the Mt. Pleasant one is ok but a little pricey at $45.00/night which is the amount listed for the Savannah site.

Heard some good things about Ft. McAllister State Historic Park campground. That may be an option for Savannah. Thought about Mistletoe State Park, Appling, GA; for our night stay around Augusta, GA; but that is 35 miles out of our way.

Hoping for suggestions on potential sites where you have stayed and been satisfied. Not expecting the Hilton but wanting something safe, clean, good bath facilities and within reasonable distance to sites mentioned above.

I will post on Gen Message Board, Motorcycle Campers subgroup as well.

Appreciate your comments.:bow:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Camping at MODOC

Hello,

My wife and I went camping on the Strom Thurman lake on the S.C. side (Just north of Augusta) last weekend. Very nice folks at the MODOC campsite. We didn't take our wing, but rented and pulled a small pop-up camper. Had a great view from our site. Prices were reasonable ($18 per night). http://www.recreation.gov/recAreaDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&facilityId=371297&agencyCode=130 The Army Corps of Engineers do a great job. Hope this helps:cool:

SPECIAL NOTE: If you go, be sure to take all your camping supplies, as the nearest Walmart is about 23 miles away. There is a few highly priced convenient stores closer, but would only recommend them in an emergency.

James:doorag:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Mon!

I checked out the site, looked very good until I found out you have to reserve for 2 nights if staying over the weekend. I anticipate we will be traveling through there on a Sat. Plan on staying just the 1 night as we will move on to Charleston. Thanks for the suggestion though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts