GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that has been experiencing super BAD allergies lately ?
I was doing ok until Sunday, My Wife and I went for a ride on our motorcycles, about 200 miles, since then my eyes have been bloodshot, burning, itching and just making me plumb miserable...
I use allergy eye drops that help for all of 2 minutes, allergy meds help with the sneezing and sniffling but not the eyes.

:shock: <---- They Burn ...

Any suggestions, short of "Don't Ride" ???

G

·
Yup, allergies are possible this time of year, and in some cases 12 months a year.

I was allergic to rag weed for years from August to the first frost here in the midwest and got shots every month.

Best thing is to get tested and know what your allergic to, then go from there.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I was experiencing allergies to my motorcycle until a few months back.

I found the cure for me was to sell the Harley and buy a Goldwing.

My allergies to always wrenchin on my bike and the high cost of maintenance went away and to this point have not flared up again.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wi_Winger said:
Yup, allergies are possible this time of year, and in some cases 12 months a year.

I was allergic to rag weed for years from August to the first frost here in the midwest and got shots every month.

Best thing is to get tested and know what your allergic to, then go from there.
I was tested about 8 years ago, I know the allergies can change from time to time, but then, I was allergic to almost all of the trees, weeds, grass.. I love the outdoors, but today has really tried my patients, if it weren't for not being able to ride my Wing anymore, I would have scratched my eyeballs out of my skull and kicked the itchy lil bastards across the shop..... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Home now .. Coors light is the cure... they should let me drink at work to combat my allergies and other ailments ... 8)

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Yellow Streak said:
Am I the only one that has been experiencing super BAD allergies lately ?
I was doing ok until Sunday, My Wife and I went for a ride on our motorcycles, about 200 miles, since then my eyes have been bloodshot, burning, itching and just making me plumb miserable...
I use allergy eye drops that help for all of 2 minutes, allergy meds help with the sneezing and sniffling but not the eyes.

:shock: <---- They Burn ...

Any suggestions, short of "Don't Ride" ???
You are definitely not the only one. I too live in southeast Texas and have never suffered from allergies at all until this year that is, and it's been brutal. There is something different in the air, my wife suffered badly also but has always struggled with allergies. I can't even cut the yard without a strong reaction. I don't know whats different but I would like to. T.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
KCButch said:
I was experiencing allergies to my motorcycle until a few months back.

I found the cure for me was to sell the Harley and buy a Goldwing.

My allergies to always wrenchin on my bike and the high cost of maintenance went away and to this point have not flared up again.
GOOD ONE

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I got it here in Ohio Too. Pretty Bad this year. And late............

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Best stuff I have found is called FLONAISE. Its a nasal squirter thing that really seems to do the trick. Doesn't make me tired or seem to have any side effects.
Unfortunately its perscription only....

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
it has been bad around dfw lately.. i can hardly talk some days..

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Falcon Wing said:
Best stuff I have found is called FLONAISE. Its a nasal squirter thing that really seems to do the trick. Doesn't make me tired or seem to have any side effects.
I have tried it, and there was another nasal spray that I tried .. cant remember the name, I have tried Claratin, benadryl (awesome Sleep med) .. I recently tried Clarinex D , it actually worked.. I will have to go to my doctor to get the prescription, But thats out of the question .. I can no go to the doctor ever again ... I am 39 years old.. Guys, You know what that means, I'm just No that friendly with my Doc ...
anyway .. I have tried a lot of meds with no results .. cept fer the ones that make me sleep good .... :D

·
Registered
550 Posts
Allergies

Really bad in Texas right now.

G

·
Yellow Streak said:
[quote="Falcon Wing":4ruwubib]Best stuff I have found is called FLONAISE. Its a nasal squirter thing that really seems to do the trick. Doesn't make me tired or seem to have any side effects.
I have tried it, and there was another nasal spray that I tried .. cant remember the name, I have tried Claratin, benadryl (awesome Sleep med) .. I recently tried Clarinex D , it actually worked.. I will have to go to my doctor to get the prescription, But thats out of the question .. I can no go to the doctor ever again ... I am 39 years old.. Guys, You know what that means, I'm just No that friendly with my Doc ...
anyway .. I have tried a lot of meds with no results .. cept fer the ones that make me sleep good .... :D[/quote:4ruwubib]

Assuming you have med insurance, just call your doctor and ask for a referal to an allergist. Have them test you and the get the proper prescription.

I have allergies. In the spring and fall, the best time of the year to ride, I was locked inside hiding from all those nasty allergens. Runny, no, pouring nose, itchy eyes, all the typical symptoms. I got a referal to an allergist. He tested me, put me on shots, and now, one shot a week, and I am not bothered by allergens. I work outside, ride do whatever I want.

It is a lot of trouble to go through, but the end results are well worth it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Allergy Relief for eyes

Hi,

I know this will sound strange but it works.
Put a few drops of "Honey" on your finger tip, close your eyes and rub it on your eye lids.

George

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Honey is actually supposed to help with allergies -- but you are supposed to consume local honey so that you begin to build resistance.

They also advise taking your allergy meds before you go to bed for effectiveness.

Claritin-D has been available as an over the counter drug for the last 3 or 4 years. It is the only thing that works for me, but the ephedrine makes me sleep for crap.

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Got it real bad right now too. For the eyes I use Naphcon A , best stuff you can get and works just as well as the tiny little bottle I use to get from the Doc that was $60 bucks. :shock:

I'm on Clairitin D non stop for the last two months. That helps but sometimes nothing seems to help. :roll:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I think it is mold spores that are at work.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LaMonster said:
Got it real bad right now too. For the eyes I use Naphcon A , best stuff you can get
Is Naphcon A by prescription or over the counter ??

and Thanks to Everyone for all the suggestions .. Time to start trying new meds ...

I put the Honey on my eyes as RoadKingNK suggested and a swarm of honey bees attacked me
now my eyes Burn, Itch, Sting, and are Swolen .. :shock: <--- see ....

not to be taken seriously, I can't get the honey past my mouth to get it on my eyes.. I love that stuff ... 8)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts