GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change insurance companies. Currently have Geico, and they are charging me about $2,400.00/year to insure four bikes. (2006 GL1800, 1987 GL1200, 1976 GL1000, and 1999 Kawasaki Concours). That's way too much money! (The required SC uninsured motorist coverage about doubles the price!)

A couple of my friends are insuring multiple bikes with Allstate in SC and their rates are much cheaper than what I'm paying Geico. But, none of them have ever had to file a claim with Allstate.

So, that's my question. Can anyone tell me what Allstate's claim performance is. Do they take care of you, or not so much?

Thanks for any experience.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am not sure about All State but in my opinion they are are all a bunch of crooks.
I just spent a day switching all my insurance from AM-FAM to a independent agent and I ended up saving 20%.
Thats includes 1 house, 2 car and 2 bike.
one car with everything 1 car with just liability.
2 bikes with everything.
It runs 2700 a year for all.
I had one claim in 20 years due to a hail storm.
I check with other agents at least every two years because the bills go up and up if you don't comparison shop.

They will all try to make the best deal for the company and not so much for you. Best of luck in your quest.
Bubber

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have Allstate and am very happy with them. Had a house and car claim 2 years ago due to hail storm and was very happy with their coverage and fair pay out for the damages. I totaled a Motorcycle last year and after producing receipts of all my add ons and gear that were covered under my accessory coverage I wound up getting well above fair market value for my losses. They are not the least expensive for any of their vehicle coverages but are less hassle when filing claims. Your in good hands with Allstate.

·
Registered
456 Posts
House and car coverage are with Allstate. Only had one homeowner claim in the past 10 years and they handled it very well. Have Progressive for the bikes and again only one claim in the past 10 years and they handled it very well.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I've no experience using Allstate, so I can't answer your original question. But I used to have a LOT of insurance with USAA, and can tell you without a doubt, USAA insurance isn't worth the paper it's written on when/if it comes time to put in a claim for a totaled RV after a tornado tangles with it. I repeat: USAA insurance for toys is not worth the paper it's written on based on my personal experience.

·
Registered
636 Posts
We have been with Allstate for the last 15 years and have no complaints about their claim service. We have had 3 automobile claims (no totals), none our fault, and one major house claim (tree damage las year). They were all handled quickly and professionally to our satisfaction. Their rates are still reasonable so I would recommend them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Stay FAR away from Nationwide. First to second years premiums doubled although I'd not made a claim of any sort....or even so much as phoned them up.

Initially had a rider that guaranteed full replacement cost of a new bike for first five years if totaled. Then, second year, they quietly and without notice changed that to two years...and cancelled the rider (after all...the bike was now two years old, wasn't it).

Sleaziest company I have ever dealt with...and I've been riding since 1968.

.....sT

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I have had Allstate for 30+ years. Home, auto, motorcycles. My premium for 5 motorcycles is $900/yr. In that time both daughters have totaled cars, son had two collisions, wife had a collision and I had a bumper bender. Allstate paid for all of these without issue. They also replaced a roof that was damaged during Hurricane Ike. Then, two years ago on a ride in North Carolina, I had a 0 mph tip-over my BMW. Unbelievably, that caused $8,000+ in damages. Allstate paid the repair estimate and two supplements the shop found as they dug into it. I have never had a problem with a claim and I have never had my insurance premium go up. I realize that the big buildings that house the big insurance companies are paid for by company profits, but Allstate has be very fair with me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Very happy with All State the wife dropped her bike and did some damage. They cut us a check very quickly and painlessly.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Not motorcycle related, but my parents had Allstate on their home. It's been about 35yrs ago, but funny story (not really). We get like 10 or 15 hail storms here every year, one big one they were concerned on the roof, so after getting the roof looked at, it was damaged, so they call Allstate. They send out a guy who looks and says yes it's damaged and insurance will cover it. So they get a new roof and submit the claim and Allstate denies they ever looked at the roof at all and refused to pay $0.01. After that my parents got rid of them and like most things I remember from the past, I never forgive anyone, and would never use the company ever.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I had Allstate for about 10 years when this incident happened;
I was moving from Alaska to Oregon so I drove my truck to Seattle and rented a U-haul truck. I loaded the truck and put the pickup on a two wheeled dolly. I accidentally pulled my Toyota pickup behind a U-haul truck while in 1st gear for a few blocks (stupid mistake) when moving. It sucked a valve and damaged the engine.
It was my fault but I called Allstate for a claim since I had full coverage on the pickup. I was told that if someone else would have been driving the U-haul they would cover it, they told me if it was being towed by tow company they would cover it. The told me that because I towed it there was no coverage. Made no sense to me since I had full coverage which is supposed to cover you even when it's your fault.

Bottom line; I no longer pay Allstate a cent. Out of curiosity I did some research about 5 years ago on Allstate insurance and found they were at the bottom of the list when it comes to paying out claims.

RUN, DON'T WALK, FROM ALLSTATE INSURANCE!

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Things haven't changed in 30 years with Allstate, I see.

"Good Hands" people my eye! Their hands are out there as a sign of help; they should be portrayed with a single digit extended as a representation of what they'll do to you. (n)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
What determines insurance rates are four things. Zip code, history of claims, your credit score, driving or riding history. once you get your policy of before if you can, read the policy even the fine print. The most important thing is that what one person pays has nothing to do with what you will pay. What you pay and the service you get are not related. It is the attitude of customer service in our country today. They forget who pays the bill.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
While shopping for a new insurance company, check Progressive. They are not bad when it comes to motorcycle insurance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
You'll have to torture me before I'd agree to use any insurance company besides AAA. At least in Southern California, my experience with AAA customer service has been brilliant. The few times I've made a claim in 50 years, AAA people have gone out of their way to make sure I've been treated well and was happy. I don't bother to compare pricing. Insurance is a waste of money if you can't collect when you have a claim. I learned long ago that often you save money by paying more. All that said, I can't understand why your Geico motorcycle premiums are so high for multiple motorcycles and why you're not getting sizable multiple-vehicle discounts. You can only ride one motorcycle at a time, so the risk is significantly mitigated.

·
Registered
779 Posts
While shopping for a new insurance company, check Progressive. They are not bad when it comes to motorcycle insurance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I use Progressive for my Wing and my 4-wheeler and the prices are good. Haven't had to file a claim yes so I guess we will see when the time comes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also have been satisfied with Progressive motorcycle insurance. I have filed two claims, both responded to promptly by an adjuster and a check in my hand that day, printed right in the adjusters vehicle. Great communication about getting my deductible back as both claims went to resolution and I was found at 0% fault for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've had 2 experiences with Allstate but not as a customer. Both involved accidents where the other party was at fault. The first one was so obvious that even Stevie Wonder would see that their client was 100% at fault. I decided to let them handle the claim. Big mistake! They had me come in and give a statement about my side of accident. They tried to twist it around making me at fault and denied coverage to cover the damages. I then filed through my company, State Farm. Ended up getting the damages fixed along with my deductible refunded, no ding on my record, and they went after Allstate for reimbursement. This ended up wasting a lot of time where my vehicle could have been getting fixed instead of going through administrative BS.

Second time, a drunk hit my parked car and took off. He ended up getting tracked down pretty quickly and turns out he too had Allstate. This time I filed right away with my insurance. Again, everything taken care of and deductible refunded shortly after. But this time I went for the jugular and went after Allstate for diminished value. At first they claimed they dont pay for diminished value but I kept after them. I finally ended up with them settling and paying me a nice chunk of change extra.

So my point is, that Allstate instead of stepping up to the plate and handling claims appropriately and doing the right thing will do whatever they can to make it as miserable as they can on claims processing...

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Have been using Dairyland for the past 19 years. Totaled the '02 Wing in'08 and they were very quick and very fair. Even paid to replace the helmet and aerostich suit. As I recall, I was paying less than $900 for 4 motorcycles ... now that I'm down to the '09 Wing and the Rune, less than $400.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts