GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bike for inspection today and after the tech was done with it he said he didn't want to pass it with the car tire on it. He had called PENN DOT and was told it was a gray area and they didn't have a problem with it,I'm sure if it was up to him he would have failed it. He considers it unsafe and asked if I ever watched the video of a car tire losing contact in a curve,I don't think I ever saw that one where the tire loses contact in a curve has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep I have seen it. I agree with the Tech, bunch of dummies running around on square tires. I swear. :joke:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Under the right conditions, sure, I could make a car tire lose contact in a curve.

Then again, in the same conditions I'd bee about 50 feet closer to the ambulance with a motorcycle tire, and you know, seconds do count.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I've even seen the picture where both tires left the road on a hill!:22yikes::22yikes::22yikes:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Yes, I watched the video with the car tire on the edge. The guy apparently had about 50 or 60 PSI in it when he filmed it. It looked hard as a rock and the tread did not roll at all. I feel the video was filmed by someone trying to prove something that is not true, or he could have possibly been that ignorant of the facts.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have not seen it...is it around somewhere...?

Sign me - Curious.:cool:

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I said to the tech that if I thought it was unsafe in any way it be gone but truth be told I've never felt safer with a tire and in the rain it sticks like glue. I guess were a bunch odd cookie eaters over here :lol:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
If they ever give you a problem again take a nice little ride north to Rusty Palmers they are a hugh dealer and could care less what tire you run on the back. In fact they mount up all my CT's :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If they ever give you a problem again take a nice little ride north to Rusty Palmers they are a hugh dealer and could care less what tire you run on the back. In fact they mount up all my CT's :thumbup:
Thanks Jeff but I doubt it will be a problem again and if it is the guy that tuned my Harley has an inspection station.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Penndot doesn't have a problem with it because the inspection law says that it must have certain tread depth etc. and cannot name brand. It is a legal tire meeting DOT specs. No control on which vehicle it goes on.
I was getting mine inspected last year, dealer didn't have a problem but a customer did.
I just asked him and the tech to show me in the inspection law where it says that the tire doesn't meet the requirements.
It passed.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Actually Bob, I've been going to Brown & Daub Ford in Nazareth.. They had 5 inspection certified techs that rode and decided to buy the tools and become a MC inspection station.. Fast service and better hours than most dealers!!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Dave,
Are they doing the work at Brown-Daub or another location?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Hi Dave,
Are they doing the work at Brown-Daub or another location?
Right there in the Ford service dept!! I call ahead and tell them I've got a bike and they give me a time.. Show up on time and I'm in and out within a 1/2hr.. Done all three there this year
Like I said, they've got like 5 techs that all got certified to inspect bikes!!

http://browndaubford.com/Nazareth-Auto-Repair.cfm

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm not sure if it still applies now in PA. My brother in law bought a brand new Mercury in '84 and was required to have the inspection prior to driving out. Seems to be overkill especially for a brand new car off the floor.

·
Registered
419 Posts
How could he tell it was a car tire? Last I looked, my motorcycle tires don't say "motorcycle" on them and the Kumho I just bought doesn't say "car" tire on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts