GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here goes. I have a Sena 10C that is at least 2 years old and almost from day 1 I was never pleased with the sound quality so i’m thinking of upgrading. I guess there are 3 main suppliers, Sena, Cardo and J&M. Upon examining all three online Cardo is the only one that talks extensively about sound quality having partnered with JBL. My biggest requirement for a headset is sound quality. I generally ride alone with my wife so communicating with other riders miles apart does not interest me. Keeping in mind I am mainly concerned with good perhaps great sound, what have others found does the job and does it well?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I doubt JBL has anything to do with actually designing or manufacturing those speakers. I bet it is nothing more than a marketing agreement that allows Cardo to use the JBL name.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can only suggest to stay away from anything Sena. I cannot speak about the Cardo but I think in general Bluetooth is still not ready for prime time. I have a total of 4 Sena products and the most expensive, 30K, works the worst. I may look at the J&M solution later this year, I always like their products.

BTW your biggest requirement may be sound, however sound is secondary to the set actually working as advertised. Do your homework, you may find others have the same opinion about Sena as I do.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had a Sena 20S. Sound quality was pretty bad. Sold it on Ebay and replaced it with J&M BT-04. Very noticeable improvement in sound quality. Their new software released in January 19 knocked it out of the park.

·
Registered
471 Posts
..... My biggest requirement for a headset is sound quality.......
As an audiophile with a lot of great music for road trips, high quality speakers were a must for my first ever bluetooth headset.
I went with J & M Audio BT-04 with the larger 45mm high output speakers, versus the standard 40mm speakers.
This setup was more expensive than the other brands, but the sound is great. Very pleased.
And John's customer service is first rate.

I had John add a 3.5mm audio out jack for earbud use, which disconnects the helmet speakers.
On longer trips, I use the in-ear-canal buds to knock down the wind noise and to clearly hear the music at a much lower volume than when using the speakers.
Jefro.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is also UClear brand. I had a set of the AMP pro model. They paired up well with my phone and each other. Also had larger speakers and plenty of volume. I also liked the hidden microphone that went in the brow of the helmet. Communication was clear and sounded natural.

If there was one thing that was lacking, it was a good mounting system, it was either double sided tape(which would have been fine, except it's hard to find a flat surface) or a spring clamp that looks like one you hold papers together.
I ended sending them back because I wanting to pair them with a Sena Freewire, to use my bikes audio system. The freewire uses a proprietary bluetooth and didnt play well with the more generic bluetooth that UClear uses.
It was a simple 3 button control.
I choose Sena 20s EVO, to work with freewire.
Both brands have good tech help I contacted both in my experience. Dennis Kirk was also great with there return policy.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Cardo Packtalk Bold good. Sena crap. The only thing worse than Sena's headsets is Sena's customer support.

Reactions: Alberta Beagle

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I use high quality insert earphones with noise excluding ribbed ear cuffs plugged into the provided port of my Sena 20s dual sets Holy sound quality, Batman!

prs

·
Registered
851 Posts
We have a pair of Sena 10’s and are quite pleased. However, we use earbuds-JBL I believe-therefore speaker quality isn’t an issue. The earbud setup required an adapter-don’t recall the part #-but it’s a simple install. We use the Sena setup mainly for listening to tunes through our iPhones and advising when a potty break is necessary. Good luck with your decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts