GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I have some time off and thought we would go somewhere. We get up this morning and load up the trailer we leave and get 200 miles away, we're in the middle of nowhere going 70 mph when I feel a slight wobble, mile or so later I think I feel another so I start looking around I then hear the motorcycle in my headset telling me to check air pressure. My rear was at 0 psi. I slowed to 45 and went about 4 more miles and found a old gas station. I pulled in and found a piece of steel in the tire. I pulled it out with the cheap tool set. I carry tire plugs although the glue was dried up. I put 2 plugs in the hole and aired it up. We are back on the road! No leaks! That is why I run a darkside RUNFLAT tire! We were both very happy we had that on today.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's good to hear the ROF let you know it was low/flat with the wiggle. Great to know that even flat the bead held tight.

I did the CT on my 94 1500 and now on the 03 . I use the Dunnie wintersport. Very happy with it . I hope I dont ever need to use the ROF , but its a little extra comfort riding 2 up.

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
JUST ANOTHER "WONKY " TIRE STORY ! :surprise::thumbup::bow:

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Glad you were safe and able to plug it.
Last night wile walking to find something to eat I said to my wife look at all those screws beside the road and looking closer their was a pothole and what appeared to be a whole box of 1-1/4 deck screws all over the road I had already rode through!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are home. The tire continued to leak. The final plug count was 4 and it is still leaking 2 psi a day. I will take it and have it replaced/repaired this week. I shudder to think if we had been on a MC tire.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Glad to see you made it safe and sound. Get a good parachute plug in there and she'll be as good as new. Gotta love a run flat! :grin2:

Reactions: thecruiser

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad to see you made it safe and sound. Get a good parachute plug in there and she'll be as good as new. Gotta love a run flat! :grin2:
Spent most of the day on this. Ended up buying a new Driveguard and replacing the one with 4 plugs. I hated replacing a new tire but tire shops would not repair a runflat, I checked 3 shops. I sure miss the Wing when it comes to changing tires. This Yamaha is a pain to change tires on.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Spent most of the day on this. Ended up buying a new Driveguard and replacing the one with 4 plugs. I hated replacing a new tire but tire shops would not repair a runflat, I checked 3 shops. I sure miss the Wing when it comes to changing tires. This Yamaha is a pain to change tires on.
Why did you decide on another driveguard? I thought I saw you post that you didn’t really like it. Just curious.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why did you decide on another driveguard? I thought I saw you post that you didn’t really like it. Just curious.
I wanted another tire now. I did not want to wait to have one delivered. The only tire available in stock was...the Driveguard. Hopefully this tire will wear out and I'll have time to order it's replacement.

Reactions: Bulitt
1 - 15 of 15 Posts