GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep it was almost really bad.
I was sitting on a hill at a stop sign on my Vulcan 900 with the wife in theback. I was turning left. To my right was a hill I could not see over. I looked left and then right and it was clear. Being on a hill I of course had the foot break on and gave it a bit of extra throttle and turned left. Of course that took some extra time.

All I heard was a lot of horn blowing and wheel screeching and my wife hollering "oh crap" in the bluetooth. I look over to se a Chrysler 300 on the edge of the road.

I was already by then accelerating quite hard so I continued up to the nxt stop sign. I saw the 300 coming up fast so I moved over and he pulled up to me witha WTH look on his face. He had a kid in a car seat in the back.

I immediately thanked him for his excellent driving and for his not killing us. I apologized and explained why I never saw him. Continued on to the restaurant and had a LONG talk with my wife on the responsibilities of us both when riding 2up. She agreed she would pay a lot more attention at stop signs and red lights.

All I could think about all day was my two teenage boys at home and what they would do with no parents.

I have vowed to never make a mistake like that again.:bow:

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Because "things happen" is the prime reason my wife rarely ever rides. We have two kids under the age of 15, and no family that could care for them if the worst happened to us.

Glad you came out of it unscathed.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Hrm - if it's a blind hill why doesn't it have a 4 way stop?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Sure glad you made it through unscathed! Hope you can get the stain out of your shorts and enjoy another day of riding with the wife!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I am glad you are OK and dealt with it appropriately. Most people would have blamed the car for going to fast...blah, blah, blah. Your post here will probably make a lot of us pay a little more attention when we are in a similar situation.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Sounds like you could have been hit just as easily if you had been in a car. In fact, the smaller footprint of the bike might have saved you.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
You might want to let someone in your city/country street department know about this incident. There may be something they can do with lights, signage, etc. to prevent an accident in the future at that location. Sounds VERY dangerous.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Yep it was almost really bad.
I was sitting on a hill at a stop sign on my Vulcan 900 with the wife in theback. I was turning left. To my right was a hill I could not see over. I looked left and then right and it was clear. Being on a hill I of course had the foot break on and gave it a bit of extra throttle and turned left. Of course that took some extra time.

All I heard was a lot of horn blowing and wheel screeching and my wife hollering "oh crap" in the bluetooth. I look over to se a Chrysler 300 on the edge of the road.

I was already by then accelerating quite hard so I continued up to the nxt stop sign. I saw the 300 coming up fast so I moved over and he pulled up to me witha WTH look on his face. He had a kid in a car seat in the back.

I immediately thanked him for his excellent driving and for his not killing us. I apologized and explained why I never saw him. Continued on to the restaurant and had a LONG talk with my wife on the responsibilities of us both when riding 2up. She agreed she would pay a lot more attention at stop signs and red lights.

All I could think about all day was my two teenage boys at home and what they would do with no parents.

I have vowed to never make a mistake like that again.:bow:
hailrazer,
I can't see that you did anything wrong at all. You assessed the situation ans accelerated HARD.
Well,... maybe if you hadn't have taken the time to 'stop and look', you might have been 20 seconds ahead of the car that popped over the hill. Wait a minute,... if he was ahead 19 seconds and you didn't bother stop & look... he might have creamed you and the wifey.

Nope, you didn't do anything wrong,... just LUCKY! :bow:

I think Cruiseman's got it right. You should bring that dangerous intersection to the attention of your city/country road department.

Again, your near-miss points out the dangers of motorcycle Riding. Sometimes when no one is wrong in a traffic situation, the motorcyclist can STILL PAY.

So what did you & your wife come up with for future like situations?
I'd suggest working out a method where the two of you are taking a final look at different directions and work out a tap method where both directions are being watched when you begin to accelerate.

Glad your kids still have two parents.... now go change your shorts.
thecruiser

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
There's a side road entering Ga. Hwy 60 that you have to stop on a steep hill at the stop sign. This road comes in right in the middle of a sharp twistie on Hwy. 60. Hwy 60 slopes away from the road you're sitting on due to the sharp curve. You can't see if anything is coming from the left or right. Hwy. 60 is one of the North Ga. roads that the bikes ride. Some crotch rockets ride it real fast. I took this road one time but never again. Huge pucket factor involved.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I don't really want to "blah, blah, blah as The Bear says, but perhaps you are not entirely to blame. If that was a blind intersection, the driver of the car should have eased off the throttle and covered the brake, just in case. I often have to stop at blind intersections and as I'm starting to straighten out after my turn, my eyes check one of my mirrors and I'm ready to accelerate if needed.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
I don't really want to "blah, blah, blah as The Bear says, but perhaps you are not entirely to blame. If that was a blind intersection, the driver of the car should have eased off the throttle and covered the brake, just in case. I often have to stop at blind intersections and as I'm starting to straighten out after my turn, my eyes check one of my mirrors and I'm ready to accelerate if needed.
You got it, metalman but expecting the car to lighten up on the accelerator isn't going to happen.

Your method of handle the situation is spot on,... in my view. :thumbup:
thecruiser

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea it I a weird spot. It's a small road connecting two smaller highways. The main highway where the car was on at that spot he was coming up a hill and you don't see the road that I was on until you crest the hill. I will not be cutting through that way again.

And my wife now has been instructed to squeeze my arm and just say "stop" loudly if a car is coming or any other dangerous event necessitates me needing to stop quickly.

Not really anyones fault but it has made me a LOT more aware.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Yea it I a weird spot. It's a small road connecting two smaller highways. The main highway where the car was on at that spot he was coming up a hill and you don't see the road that I was on until you crest the hill. I will not be cutting through that way again.

And my wife now has been instructed to squeeze my arm and just say "stop" loudly if a car is coming or any other dangerous event necessitates me needing to stop quickly.

Not really anyones fault but it has made me a LOT more aware.
Lesson learned. :congrats:
And that's always a good thing. :thumbup:
thecruiser

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Thank you for sharing.... also I'm glad you both are OK. We all learn from others "adventures" and many times people are too embarassed to post something like this.
Again I'm glad you both are OK and perhaps your taking the time to share will help us to remember to keep aware and stay safe.:thumbup:

It can happen sooo fast!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
You know that is what scares me sometimes when I really think about it...I mean I dont ride scared, and Im always anxous to get on the bike, but there is not ONE of us that has never made a mistake on a bike or car at sometime. Then you think of the other guy and what if his mistake involves you! The wrong mistake will kill you especially on the bike. We cannot be too careful each and every ride. I continue to read about motorcycle safety and try to learn more, I dont think you can know too much about it, especially as many miles as we ride. The guilt of knowing (even for a fraction of a second) that I made a stupid mistake that injured or worse, my wife, would be unbearable.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Glad to see you and your wife are safe....

These types of wake up calls helps take away the false sense of security....it also helps remind us to get are affairs in order....

...Me and My Wife don't have any kids just a house full of labs...we had often asked ourselves what if we were killed on the bike...who would take care of the dogs...sounds funny but they are part of the family....we all should have a living and dead will established to help guide our loved ones and who should take care of them...yes it cost money ...but well worth the piece of mind....

Safe Rides Everyone....

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Next time you come to this intersection try this..........

After stopping and clearing the lane to your left,check right and go,BUT.stay in the left lane.

After getting up to speed check your right rear mirrow and slowly bleed over to the right lane.

This is a little like using a merging ramp on an interstate.

This will give that car that is about to pop out of the blind spot a place to go and time to slow.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
almost accident

I have one intersection like that which I frequently have to cross. Most of the time I will just turn right instead of left, go down the road a short distance and turn around in a large driveway to return in the direction I wanted to go. I'm not in a hurry to die either. Just another opportunity to practice my sharp turning skills.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I am a firm believer that there are a LOT of blind corners/intersections that are pretty much known ONLY to the locals and not a all to those traveling through--- most without ANY indication or signage, except for the skid marks on the pavement near the intersections!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts